Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

7 More Wins Wouldn't Have Put Us In NCAA

Based on what happened to Kansas State with a 22-11 record, 7 more wins for ISU this year would not have put us in the NCAA tournament.
    KSU had a schedule strength of 88, ours was 86. Looks like we will need to improve the quality of our non-conference schedule along with having a better record to make the NCAA's in the future.
    Also looking at our record, we finished 1-13 against teams in the top 100 and 14-3 against everybody else.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: 7 More Wins Wouldn't Have Put Us In NCAA

...and the way they selected NIT teams this year we weren't real close to making that.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    ...and the way they selected NIT teams this year we weren't real close to making that.
    Very true. I had no doubt that Mizzou would land the NIT but not so much. The cutback to 32 teams along with the midmajor regular season champion rule is making the NIT an accomplishment for middle-of-the-pack schools from major conferences.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

KSU was ripped off. I'm not a Huggins fan but if the Little 11 can get 6 teams in with 23-11 (9-7) Illinois, 22-11 (8-8) Michigan State, and 21-11 (9-7) Purdue all getting in then 22-11 (10-6) should have got in. Texas Tech had some big wins and deserved in too but 1 less win both overall and in the conference than KSU. What would have happened if we had beat TT, you think they still make it in over KSU?

You can't tell me that the Little 11 was 2 teams better than the Big 12 this season. If you match up Kansas, Texas A&M, and Texas against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Indiana I think the Big 12 would at least win 2 of the 3 if not all 3 possibly. The way Kansas is playing right now I think they could beat Ohio State. I hate to say that because I'd root for OSU over Kansas any day but KU is playing that good right now that as long as they don't do one of their traditional choke jobs in the tourney they should be at least in the final 4.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    KSU was ripped off. I'm not a Huggins fan but if the Little 11 can get 6 teams in with 23-11 (9-7) Illinois, 22-11 (8-8) Michigan State, and 21-11 (9-7) Purdue all getting in then 22-11 (10-6) should have got in. Texas Tech had some big wins and deserved in too but 1 less win both overall and in the conference than KSU. What would have happened if we had beat TT, you think they still make it in over KSU?

You can't tell me that the Little 11 was 2 teams better than the Big 12 this season. If you match up Kansas, Texas A&M, and Texas against Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Indiana I think the Big 12 would at least win 2 of the 3 if not all 3 possibly. The way Kansas is playing right now I think they could beat Ohio State. I hate to say that because I'd root for OSU over Kansas any day but KU is playing that good right now that as long as they don't do one of their traditional choke jobs in the tourney they should be at least in the final 4.
    I agree.

I think two things are happening. First, the best 64 teams aren't playing in the NCAA tournament because of all the small schools that get automatic conference bids. It's been that way for years, and really needs to get fixed. I made a suggestion that would use the early rounds of the NIT to work on this issue over in the "Drake Effect" thread.

Secondly, and this is pure speculation, but the selection committee may be putting too much stock in the computerized indexes when seeding and selecting teams. These indexes are influenced by the initial conditions used to start them off, which can skew the results.

Just some anecdotal evidence, but I write selection software for the products my company makes. For whatever reason, people turn off their common sense when using this tool. I guess the attitude is "If the results come from a computer, they must be right". Unfortunately, the computer results are only as good as the information given to the program. These indexes are tools. At the end of the day, one has to step back and take a look at the final product, and see if it all makes sense. Some things in this years NCAA brackets don't make much sense.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

This is too generic of a statement to be valid. If we would have won 7 more games in conference, then yes we would be in because we would have ended up 13-3 in the conference. If we were that good, we would have challenged for the conference title.

You have to look at the overall season. Although I think KSU should have got into the Tournament, the only upper team in the conference they beat was Texas Tech.

Legend
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 154

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    This is too generic of a statement to be valid. If we would have won 7 more games in conference, then yes we would be in because we would have ended up 13-3 in the conference. If we were that good, we would have challenged for the conference title.

You have to look at the overall season. Although I think KSU should have got into the Tournament, the only upper team in the conference they beat was Texas Tech.
    and Texas!

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

It all depends upon when and from where those additional 7 wins had come.

Theoretically, we could be in with 4 total wins if we swept the conference tournament.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

7 wins and 7 less losses would put us at 22-8! then add in the Big 12 tourney, we would easily be in. I don't get this thread

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

If we had just scored 150 more strategic points, we would have been in. Where was mike when we needed him? Oh yeah, he was in Turnover City.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

Speculating about whether or not we would have gotten in with 7 wins is a pretty tough argument. Like most have said, it depends on who those wins were against. Let's say 2 were OOC (Drake, UNI) and 5 were in conference (with 3 wins against good teams, KU, Texas, T-Tech). That would put us at 22-8 (10-6). We would have knocked off a 1 seed, a 4 seed, and probably have been in a position to knock T-Tech out of the tourney. Should have been enough to get in. Too many if's and's or but's about this argument, no one will know for sure.