Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 30

Practice Question

Whats the rule on conducting practices before we are officially invited to a bowl game? Or can we still have practices since the entire NCAA regular season isn't officially complete? Just looking for some clarification.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Practice Question

I'm pretty sure the rule is that bowl eligible teams can practice without restrictions until bowl games are announced. If they are not selected, they can no longer practice. If they are selected, they can practice a certain number of times (I've heard 15 and I've heard 26, not sure if either is correct) until their bowl game. Teams that are not bowl eligible can't continue to practice just because the regular season isn't over for all schools (ex: ISU in the last few years when we weren't eligible, was done w/ football at the end of their last game).

I do know that ISU's players were given this week off to go home, and I'm guessing will have workouts or practices next week.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    Whats the rule on conducting practices before we are officially invited to a bowl game? Or can we still have practices since the entire NCAA regular season isn't officially complete? Just looking for some clarification.
    Wow, that's a really good practice question, I think you're ready to ask a real question!

All truisms are false. All of them.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
    Wow, that's a really good practice question, I think you're ready to ask a real question!
    Ha, I thought you were being a real jerk at first. I'm a little slow today I guess.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 206

Quote Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
    Well done!

Thumbs Up

Allen, what do you think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI]YouTube - Iverson Practice![/ame]

You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain. -Brian Griffin

Somebody's gotta go back and get a ----load of dimes. -Taggart

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cycloin View Post
    Allen, what do you think?

YouTube - Iverson Practice!

i was seriously just posting this..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Ha, I thought you were being a real jerk at first. I'm a little slow today I guess.
    Just a feeble attempt a humor on a Monday.

All truisms are false. All of them.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 44

Most of the time in a bowl season situation, a team will take some time off and do offseason work to try and get healthy anyway.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

Alright, someone explain why the 15 or whatever extra practices make all the difference in the world?

The players have done nothing but practice each week for about the last 4 months. More reps are more reps obviously, but its made into such a huge deal to get in the extra work...like its going to be this major springboard for the team come next fall.

ISU with the talent aboard is probably going to work on technique as much as anything to stay sharp with tackling and blocking....I just dont see how the next few weeks will all of sudden cause the offense to master Hermans playbook.

I can certainly foresee a few new plays and twists getting added by running the offense these next couple weeks but thats about it. Without a game looming for a few weeks, you can probably expect that the staff can afford a little player shuffling to get some back ups more reps as well.

Few more reps, shortens the off-season layoff by 3-4 weeks, and expands the playbook a little. Those are positive things, but probably not that big of a deal.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Alright, someone explain why the 15 or whatever extra practices make all the difference in the world?

The players have done nothing but practice each week for about the last 4 months. More reps are more reps obviously, but its made into such a huge deal to get in the extra work...like its going to be this major springboard for the team come next fall.

ISU with the talent aboard is probably going to work on technique as much as anything to stay sharp with tackling and blocking....I just dont see how the next few weeks will all of sudden cause the offense to master Hermans playbook.

I can certainly foresee a few new plays and twists getting added by running the offense these next couple weeks but thats about it. Without a game looming for a few weeks, you can probably expect that the staff can afford a little player shuffling to get some back ups more reps as well.

Few more reps, shortens the off-season layoff by 3-4 weeks, and expands the playbook a little. Those are positive things, but probably not that big of a deal.
    With the number of practices givevn the staff can devote time to working on stuff they noticed over the course of the year as opposed to spending a lot of time scheming against your next opponent.

You get an extra fall preseason practice set basically.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

3 other good ones for this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_of3QWRs_I]YouTube - A Conversation Between Allen Iverson and Jim Mora[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7uPKgKXBM]YouTube - Practice vs Game vs Playoffs[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Tn0L0t4rQ]YouTube - Practice vs Playoffs[/ame]

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was just wondering about this... thanks for the info.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post

The practices are a benefit more the the reserves, redshirts, and scout teamers. During the regular season, those guys get very few reps of the ISU offense/defense. IIRC, most teams only devote the last 4-5 of the practices to the team they are playing, so that leaves many more for young guys and backups to learn the ISU system. Should help out our defense the most for next year.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    The practices are a benefit more the the reserves, redshirts, and scout teamers. During the regular season, those guys get very few reps of the ISU offense/defense. IIRC, most teams only devote the last 4-5 of the practices to the team they are playing, so that leaves many more for young guys and backups to learn the ISU system. Should help out our defense the most for next year.
    I know that this is true in general, but I also believe that Rhoads has made development of the younger players more of a priority than past coaching staffs did. Rhoads has mentioned this on some of his call in shows, but I don't recall all of the details.

Obviously the priority each week is to get the game plan for each opponent in place and drilled in practice. As the week progresses, however, you get into more walk throughs and mental reps which leaves some time to focus on the younger guys.