Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2 Guys Named Jim....

So I'm driving down from the mountains tonight and check the AM dial for some NFL scores, and cruise by 1040 WHO around 6 pm MDT. WHO comes in pretty well here in Colorado once the sun sets. I remembered back when I lived in the midwest listening to Zabel and Walden's show on occasion. I didn't realize it was still on... and I must say, that had to be the most painful 20-30 minutes of radio I've listened to since Marty Tyrell graced KXNO's studio. How bad is it when you have a sunday sports recap show, and the two HOSTS are calling in from AZ and Washington state? Do they do that every sunday? Aren't there any sports figures that actually live IN Iowa that can host a show? Granted, many of the central Iowa sports chatterboxes are on during weekday shows, but that's a first for me to here a show where the hosts were on the phone from different time zones. Some highlights included Zabel interrupting Walden several times and Walden thinking that K-State was one of the Big12's 9 bowl candidates... until Paul Clark corrected him and told him they weren't eligible (uh Jim, you're hosting a sports radio talk show, shouldn't you have your info correct?) Then Clark tells the hosts that the Cyclones could play in the Texas bowl, which was formerly called the Houston Bowl, where ISU played in '05, to which Walden asked "where is that one held at?" I must ask, does anyone listen to that show? does anyone listen to AM radio on sunday nights in Iowa (besides me, by accident)..?

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 14

Re: 2 Guys Named Jim....

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    So I'm driving down from the mountains tonight and check the AM dial for some NFL scores, and cruise by 1040 WHO around 6 pm MDT. WHO comes in pretty well here in Colorado once the sun sets. I remembered back when I lived in the midwest listening to Zabel and Walden's show on occasion. I didn't realize it was still on... and I must say, that had to be the most painful 20-30 minutes of radio I've listened to since Marty Tyrell graced KXNO's studio. How bad is it when you have a sunday sports recap show, and the two HOSTS are calling in from AZ and Washington state? Do they do that every sunday? Aren't there any sports figures that actually live IN Iowa that can host a show? Granted, many of the central Iowa sports chatterboxes are on during weekday shows, but that's a first for me to here a show where the hosts were on the phone from different time zones. Some highlights included Zabel interrupting Walden several times and Walden thinking that K-State was one of the Big12's 9 bowl candidates... until Paul Clark corrected him and told him they weren't eligible (uh Jim, you're hosting a sports radio talk show, shouldn't you have your info correct?) Then Clark tells the hosts that the Cyclones could play in the Texas bowl, which was formerly called the Houston Bowl, where ISU played in '05, to which Walden asked "where is that one held at?" I must ask, does anyone listen to that show? does anyone listen to AM radio on sunday nights in Iowa (besides me, by accident)..?
    Nope. Stopped listening to them years ago.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 92

Holy crap....you can pull in WHO radio in Colorado? Wow, that's some range.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

yeppers... I wished WHO was ISU's flagship station instead of UI's... thank goodness for the internet.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    AM frequencies carry farther at night causing the FCC to make most of them lower their power, WHO along with a handful of others nationwide are allowed to broadcast without reduction allowing the station to travel huge distances as long as the atmospherics are cooperating.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,365
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 75

Yeah, its pretty brutal. They get some decent guests as the saving grace. They've gotten radio/media persona's for ISUs upcoming opponents on occasion.

Speaking of possibly pulling in some radio stations from way out...I was driving back from Columbia on saturday(some where near Macon) and picked up various SEC feeds, and even an ATM post game show!

Of course Ive caught Sooner, and Mizzou games when going to Omaha as well. Perhaps some local stations pick up those feeds...but the variety of games ive found travleing just outside iowa surprised me.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

That's the beauty of AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,365
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 75

Ive noticed that heavy cloud coverage seems to help with the frequency traveling farther/better...does it bounce off the clouds or what? Ive found i start to get Omaha 590 around Rockwell city under those conditions.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 48

I have picked up WHO before in Southern MO, Southern IL, Western KY, etc. Just when I think I'm out of range of the Evil Empire...

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 107

I picked u WHO in Utah earlier this year, crazy stuff. And yes, 2 guys named Jim is absolutely brutal.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90

Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    AM frequencies carry farther at night causing the FCC to make most of them lower their power, WHO along with a handful of others nationwide are allowed to broadcast without reduction allowing the station to travel huge distances as long as the atmospherics are cooperating.
    Unless you're in Ames. I can't pick up 1460 or 1700 after dark at all.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    I remember growing up in Davenport, under the right circumstances, my dad often was able to pull in 660 AM WFAN from New York, which was important to him because at the time we couldn't afford satellite and it offered him the opportunity to follow his New York Mets as WFAN at the time was the flagship station (we're native Long Islanders, which explains the fascination with the Mets). We could pull 670 AM WMAQ under almost any circumstance.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The year the Cyclones we went to the Insight Bowl game in Arizona, on the way back home, I picked up WHO radio and the same radio show in New Mexico. Kind of ****** me off that the Hawks have always had such a strong siginal, and we struggle to get a decent siginal in Iowa.

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

Exactly.
    That is why it was so important for Jamie to get the deal worked out with 100.3.
    I remember back in the day listening to 1460 at Jack Trice and couldn't hear the play-by-play for the game, IN AMES.
    How sad was that?

Go Cyclones

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 858
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 40

I live in SE Iowa and WHO does not come in that great here at all, matter of fact it's annoying listening to Iowa games on WHO down here because of the static...I can't see how that is if you can get it in Colorado?! We actually get 100.3 just as good as WHO down here.