Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

FB Future

The future looks bright under CPR. He has done a great job this year and getting these extra bowl practices is going to be valuable. We have a good opportunity with our stable situation.

KU - Will be firing Mangino. New coach and new system coming in.

CU - Likely to be firing Hawkins (hope he survives another year). Possible new coach and new system coming in.

A&M - Won't play them again for two more years. Hopefully Sherman will last another year then get canned. We will get them in year 2 of a new coach/system.

Tech - Leach flirts with leaving every year. I think this could be the year he pulls the trigger and bails. Coming into Ames next year with new coach/system?

KSU - When we meet KSU next year in Arrowhead, Snyder will be 71 years old. How much energy can he have? Interesting that this guy was an upset away last night of possibly winning Big 12 COY, now that they lost, he really only improved on Prince's record by one game and they played two 1AA teams.

Cyclone42

Re: FB Future

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    The future looks bright under CPR. He has done a great job this year and getting these extra bowl practices is going to be valuable. We have a good opportunity with our stable situation.

KU - Will be firing Mangino. New coach and new system coming in.
    I doubt this. He hasn't really done anything worth firing him about. I think the rumors of Mangino being fired are mostly wishful-thinking on the part of fans of opposing teams.

Also, this is really the first down year for Mangino after a series of good years. I think the Kansas AD will give him a bit of slack for this.

That said, if I were the Kansas AD, I'd use this to force Mangino to lose some weight. Maybe get him to take a 6-month sabbatical or something, and maybe take some anger-management while he's doing that.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 14

The way things are looking now, the Big 12 could be looking at a bigger let-down year in 2010 than this year. Don't forget that KU, OK St., K. St. and Texas all lose their starting QBs, and teams that will have QB controversies will be OK with Landry Jones, Texas Tech and possibly Colorado if Hawkins is still coaching next year. I would also think that Robert Griffin at Baylor could be hesitant to return in case he gets another injury and could hurt his chances to have a successful track career.

Last edited by 3GenClone; 11-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

Kansas would be foolish to fire Mangino. I still find that hard to believe. Colorado can't be much worse than they are right now and they have quite a bit coming back. They could be a sneaky 6-6 team like us next year under a new coach.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    The way things are looking now, the Big 12 could be looking at a bigger let-down year in 2010 than this year. Don't forget that KU, OK St., K. St. and Texas all lose their starting QBs, and teams that will have QB controversies will be OK with Landry Jones, Texas Tech and possibly Colorado if Hawkins is still coaching next year. I would also think that Robert Griffin at Baylor could be hesitant to return in case he gets another injury and could hurt his chances to have a successful track career.
    He has given track up to focus more on football.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    He has given track up to focus more on football.
    Didn't know that, thanks for the info. If this is the case than Briles could be on a short leash at Baylor - his team is based on one player and this year has shown that Baylor's success hinges on Griffin's play. Briles could be out unless Baylor makes a bowl game next year.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Mangino is all but gone, and Hawkins is too damn expensive to fire.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I think we have a heck of a man at head coach right now. The greatest thing about that is he does seem like he wants to be here. Now, we'll see if being a heck of a man turns out to be a heck of a coach or not. His stability should lead ISU to more consistency than we saw the last three years. The next questions become recruiting and ability to attract talented assistant coaches. We somewhat knew coming in that Burnham and Herman weren't long-term. I think we'll see both back next year, but if we have the record I hope we will I think Herman will take his stab at moving up.

The biggest obstacle will continue to be recruiting and the teams we have to play in the Big 12. We may occaissionally steal a kid from Iowa from instate but typically they're going to get the kids they want from in-state. That usually means that we're going to be after the just off the radar kids from Texas, Florida, and California (which could be real good) or take a few more risks academically. I don't believe coach is going to build ISU through Jucos like Snyder did at KSU, and I'm damn happy about it. The key will be our staff's ability to coach kids up and have strong lines. If that happens, no reason we can't expect a 7-5 record year in and year out with the occaissional run at a north title.

The biggest obstacle in all of this is the competition in the Big 12. Our ooc schedule stiffens the next few years. We always play Iowa which is a tough game. Then you look at what the Big 12 south is, and you can see why it's going to be tough to find a way to get past the 6-7 win mark very often. We are never going to compete with Texas or Oklahoma. OSU is on the verge of being to the point where we aren't at the same level, especially when looking at facilities. Texas a&m is slightly better than us right now and recruiting is picking up for them. I think they're a good coach away from moving into the OU/Texas category. Baylor is getting better. I think that's a program that we can compete with though. Texas Tech is better, but they are a coaching change away from being right even with us.

In the north, Nebraska is the only team that is above us. Next year, they'll make the jump with having another year under Pelini and having a dual-threat qb. Missouri is probably to the point that we'll have a tough time beating them. They have recruiting advantages and a proven system that is going to be tough to catch up with. Colorado is as low as they'll ever be. Hawkins will be gone so who the next coach will determine if they're going to stay down or move up. That leaves us, Kansas, and KSU in a similar category that can consistently fight for 3/4 in the north. KSU has no plan to improve with their hiring of Snyder. KU has athletes, but they've got so many internal problems that that situation might be soured until Mangino leaves.

So what's that leave us? Well, I think you've got to hope to be 3-1 OOC each year. Occaissionally "upsetting" Iowa and not having bad losses to MAC or acadamy teams. Then, you've got to beat Tech in the bad years and Baylor and aTm on the good years in the south to be at 5-2 or 4-3 with the north teams left. At that point, you're looking at that outstanding year being 9-3 or your disappointing year being 6-6. I can live with that.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I think we have a heck of a man at head coach right now. The greatest thing about that is he does seem like he wants to be here. Now, we'll see if being a heck of a man turns out to be a heck of a coach or not. His stability should lead ISU to more consistency than we saw the last three years. The next questions become recruiting and ability to attract talented assistant coaches. We somewhat knew coming in that Burnham and Herman weren't long-term. I think we'll see both back next year, but if we have the record I hope we will I think Herman will take his stab at moving up.
    I tried to read your post...I really did...but I couldn't get past the first paragraph. It has been said, by Burnham on record, that this will be his last stop as a coach. We don't have to worry about him leaving, only retiring...and who knows how long that will be. If the offense gets going, then Herman should be courted. We'll see him gone before we see Wally gone.

...now back to read the rest of your post.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

No, I'm not afraid of him leaving. I'm just saying he came with a package deal with his son. I don't think he'll be coaching defense for ISU in 2 or 3 years. That's all. Not that he'll be leaving for another school.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Mangino should be fired and think he will. In this day and age, verbally and physically abusing players does not happen and shouldn't. Did he actually tell his players that if they don't start playing like they should he'll send them back to the ghetto? That is absolutely crazy. Heard that on fox sports radio the other day. not sure how credible it was though. It was Chris Rix, former FSU QB, doing the commentating.

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

There's a article on ESPN basically saying Kansas would be foolish NOT to fire Magino. I just think with how this year went and what has come out over the past week, I believe he will be gone...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

If I was Kansas, I would fear 450 pound Mark having a heart attack on the field. The university would feel responsible and it would hurt recruiting.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Get after KU recruits now!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Hawkins is too damn expensive to fire.
    If donations dry up, it can also be too expensive to keep a coach in a situation like this. The big money guys will decide this one - either fork up the buyout money or hold back on donations. I heard that there was a request to contribute to a buyout fund making the rounds among former Buff athletes.