Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Alford Rumor

WGN is reporting that Alford is interested in the New Mexico coaching job.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Alford Rumor

Doubt New Mexico is interested in him though.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This rumor is also being reported in the online version of the CR Gazette; page 4C I believe

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

It is the same principle as throwing your name in for the TCU job. You let your fanbase know that hey I may be looking at other jobs.

Now to go from a Big 10 job to New Mexico is a big step down. However, if you can make it seem good, and the other school doesn't come out publicly, and say that no you aren't anybody that we want like TCU did, then you can maybe get people to say Please don't go. Then you can spin that you are actually accomplishing something. Like 7 consecutive winning seasons, or 5 bowl games.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,168
    Given: 1,031

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    It is the same principle as throwing your name in for the TCU job. You let your fanbase know that hey I may be looking at other jobs.

Now to go from a Big 10 job to New Mexico is a big step down. However, if you can make it seem good, and the other school doesn't come out publicly, and say that no you aren't anybody that we want like TCU did, then you can maybe get people to say Please don't go. Then you can spin that you are actually accomplishing something. Like 7 consecutive winning seasons, or 5 bowl games.

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 03-11-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Alford Has to See the Writing on the Wall

He will never win over the Hawkeye fan base, so why stay at a school where you are not appreciated?

Steve Alford wasn't just any basketball player- he was & to a degree still is an Indiana legend. Even after coming to Iowa and I believe to this day, he still runs summer basketball camps back in the Hoosier state. It has to be tough on him not to be adored by the fans at the school where he coaches.

I feel Steve Alford should move on. He needs to take the best coaching job he can get and bolt Iowa City. IMO he would be a great fit at a school that needs some publicity- Steve Alford's name still means something. He'd also be a great fit at a school that needs some integrity injected into its program. He tends to recruit quality kids and they graduate (Every school has its Pierre Pierces).

I haven't heard much specualtion on who is going to replace Ricardo Patton, but CU could do worse that SA. New Mexico wouldn't be a bad fit either. They have great fan support for mens hoops and maybe SA could do at New Mexico what Lute Olson did at Arizona. I'm not saying Steve is in Lute's class as a coach- but he could coach at New Mexico for 15 years and build a program much like Majerius did at Utah.

I would also think that New Mexico dreams of someday being added to a Pac 10 or Big 12 conference if there is ever expansion/shake-up.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Alford Has to See the Writing on the Wall

It TRULY PAINS ME to admit that I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Bottom line : SA can't win at iowa (even if he does win).

Selfishly, I hope he stays at iowa forever !!! .... but I agree, it's time for him to move on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I wouldn't neccessarily say that going to New Mexico is a big step down. The Pit actually gets more people to the games than Carver Hawkeye and although the fan base is smaller, they are alot more intense than Hawkeye fans. Plus the Mountain West isn't quite a slacker conference. They have 5-6 pretty solid teams that are just as good if not better than Iowa.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

New Mexico???? PLAYOFFS? What the heck? Is he afraid of McD?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: Alford Has to See the Writing on the Wall

Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    He will never win over the Hawkeye fan base, so why stay at a school where you are not appreciated?

Steve Alford wasn't just any basketball player- he was & to a degree still is an Indiana legend. Even after coming to Iowa and I believe to this day, he still runs summer basketball camps back in the Hoosier state. It has to be tough on him not to be adored by the fans at the school where he coaches.

I feel Steve Alford should move on. He needs to take the best coaching job he can get and bolt Iowa City. IMO he would be a great fit at a school that needs some publicity- Steve Alford's name still means something. He'd also be a great fit at a school that needs some integrity injected into its program. He tends to recruit quality kids and they graduate (Every school has its Pierre Pierces).

I haven't heard much specualtion on who is going to replace Ricardo Patton, but CU could do worse that SA. New Mexico wouldn't be a bad fit either. They have great fan support for mens hoops and maybe SA could do at New Mexico what Lute Olson did at Arizona. I'm not saying Steve is in Lute's class as a coach- but he could coach at New Mexico for 15 years and build a program much like Majerius did at Utah.

I would also think that New Mexico dreams of someday being added to a Pac 10 or Big 12 conference if there is ever expansion/shake-up.
    I agree it is in his own best interests to leave, but how in the world can anyone think he would be a good fit after the job he has done at Iowa. He has clearly dragged their program down from the level it was at. And as far as integrity goes, yeah every school has a Pierre Pierce, but every coach doesn't publicy state he believes an accused rapists story during an ongoing investigation. This is exactly what Alford did, and was a HUGE mistake that many will never forgive or forget. To me it speaks volumes about where his priorities are. If this report is true then I am sure he thinks he is going to be forced out and wants to leave before he is fired in a year or two. New Mexico is a huge step down from Iowa.

Rookie
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

I think, whether any hawk fan would admit to it or not, there is a psychology over there that everything good happening for the university has to be credited to the more likable, Ferenz and that somehow they're better for it. It really wouldn't matter if they won the Big Ten in every sport and finished dead last in football, because football still financed the process. Alford seems to be the scapegoat. So...is it really not liking Alford? or is dragging him through the mud feeding the idea that at a "football school" everything revolves around Ferenz and all the other coaches are second class citizens. Thank the cyclone lord everyday that our fans celebrate, live, and die by more than just one man.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,255
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 199

This rumor has been bubbling for a few weeks now.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The problem that Alford has is that he has rubbed people the wrong way, he did it the first 3-4 years that he was there. Then you add into the fact that he has won one NCAA game in 8 years, and the constant stating of meaningless statistics (7 consecutive winning seasons) does not help his case. If he were the master of PR and spin he could probably have gotten away with sh!tty results, but he came across as arrogant right off the bat.

New Mexico is not a bad job, and Albuquerque is a nice town, but if you perceive that to be anything but a step down from a Big 10 school then you are wrong.

And to CycloneWorld, and Cyclone"pride" if you can't see the parallels between Alford, and McCarney, then you aren't looking. Two very insecure men who cannot admit mistakes. It will be Alford's downfall as well.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 160

It would be terrrible mistake for Iowa to let Steve Alford go. Iowa would not be able to hire a coach better than Steve Alford!!!!

Man, I love it when I can speak Hawk-like.

p.s. All of this speculation is moot until Steve gets the direction from God as to what Steve's enemies are up to.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.