Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Angry Too Sensitive...

I believe the players who came out and said "mangino said hurtful things and physically hurt them". These players should take these words and actions with a grain of salt...they should have "thicker" skin. Its things like these that really grind my gears, these players are going to school FOR FREE to play a game, that people, like myself, would relish the opportunity...These players really need to grow up. This is why coaches such as Bobby Knight and Mark Mangino are looked at in a dim view by everyone else....These coaches are trying to help these kids grow up on and off the field. Also having the parents get involved with this is completely unexecuseable, these student-athletes should be mature enough to handle criticism when it comes there way......

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,821
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Re: Too Sensitive...

I'll agree that some of the things these players are complaining about are a little, oh...what's the word, sissy, but still, telling a guy that he's going to wind up a drunk like his dad instead of a lawyer? There's a difference between motivating and belitting, and it sounds like more often than not, Mangino crossed it.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

I have no problem with poking a finger in someone's chest or grabbing their facemask to get their attention, but I think you have to give the players a certain amount of respect, and his alleged comments cross that boundary.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    I believe the players who came out and said "mangino said hurtful things and physically hurt them". These players should take these words and actions with a grain of salt...they should have "thicker" skin. Its things like these that really grind my gears, these players are going to school FOR FREE to play a game, that people, like myself, would relish the opportunity...These players really need to grow up. This is why coaches such as Bobby Knight and Mark Mangino are looked at in a dim view by everyone else....These coaches are trying to help these kids grow up on and off the field. Also having the parents get involved with this is completely unexecuseable, these student-athletes should be mature enough to handle criticism when it comes there way......
    I don't think any of us know first hand what was said and in what context to decide what was wrong or not. Edit: However, if true, I would consider inappropriate.

Z

Last edited by zach; 11-19-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

Agree completely with the OP. Just from the allegations that have been presented, I think this is a big deal about nothing. This isn't like Bob Knight choking Neil Reed on video. That's serious.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    I totally disagree with you...coaches are teachers. The athletes are not professional, they are just out of high school. They deserve the coaches respect, and do the coaches the players respect. There is no place for the reported ******** that Mangino has spread. No place. His remarks were personal, and meant to degrade. I'm thankful we have coaches who coach in a positive fashion. That is how you build a program.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I totally disagree with you...coaches are teachers. The athletes are not professional, they are just out of high school. They deserve the coaches respect, and do the coaches the players respect. There is no place for the reported ******** that Mangino has spread. No place. His remarks were personal, and meant to degrade. I'm thankful we have coaches who coach in a positive fashion. That is how you build a program.
    I think this hits the nail on the head.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 11

Don't get in their 'bubble'...

You have to be kidding me with some of those things... I don't have a problem with any of the things that have come out. Some of those kids need a serious wake up call if they think they can just coast through.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post

You've never seen a Bill Fennely practice...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    I think this hits the nail on the head.
    Maybe, but lets call this what it is, Kansas wants him out. If he said the things to black players that have been claimed, he also said similar insulting things to white players....

oh the latter is probably a hate crime while the other is just understood as motivation.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Some of those kids need a serious wake up call if they think they can just coast through.
    There may be some truth to this. It's not hard to imagine that some of these guys were babied by coaches throughout their lives. At some point they probably are just being overly sensitive.

And if they truly do feel violated, speak up. Don't wait until the world's coming down around a guy and then pile on because you can.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I went through a Maury John practice..

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 227

or Al Murdoch's

Last edited by kilgore_trout; 11-19-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,635
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand the reasoning for this argument, but too much is often too much. Football coaches need to be inspirational and motivational, not telling kids that they are jack **** without this program. Paul Rhoads has been able to do it without belittling any players...

In the end, belittling players decreases confidence and eventually decreases their confidence in their coaching staff's ability to win. It's a lose, lose situation. Yes, telling every little kid that they can grow up to be major leaguers can be a stretch, but a coach must be able to back up their anger and frustration from a players mistaks with confidence in their abilities, and in a motivating way.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't get in their 'bubble'...

You have to be kidding me with some of those things... I don't have a problem with any of the things that have come out. Some of those kids need a serious wake up call if they think they can just coast through.
    No cybsball20, you have to be kidding me with that terrible post. What part of telling a guy he'll be sent home to get "shot by his homies" or asking a guy if he "wants to become an alcoholic like his old man or a lawyer" do you consider acceptable?

Trust me, I'm all about getting after players and giving them an earful, but like I said earlier, there's a difference between motivating someone and belittling them.

These type of things are not tough love. They are not getting after a player. They are not teaching tools. It's not acceptable to say things like that to any person at any time in any situation. It's a complete lack of respect and does not make him a better football player and more importantly, a better man.

I liken it to this. I was in a fraternity in college and we had a saying about hazing. It was, show me how hazing makes someone a better member or a better man and we'll start doing it. Needless to say, we didn't haze people. Show me how embarrassing someone publicly and completely belittling them in front of their peers makes them a better a football player and a better man, and I'll jump on board.

Now, some of the other things that have come out of this are a little ticky tacky, like the arm grab and the chest poke, but you can see how things like that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back if all of these verbal assault and complete disrespect led up to it.