Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

ISU MBB: Coaching the 2009 team vs recent years

I was thinking about this last night after the game, on how it seems that Greg does not have to micromanage the games this year, at least thus far.

It was clear in '06-'08 he had to, we didn't have the players to run/score and we had to rely on defense and managed offensive situations. These things will still be important this year but not like in previous seasons.

I see the toughest battle Greg has is keeping the team mentality for these kids and making sure when they do start running it doesn't turn into chaos on the court. Otherwise, it could be his "easiest" coaching season yet...or at least one where he does not have to meticulously manage every second of every game.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

Re: ISU MBB: Coaching the 2009 team vs recent years

Easier to look better when you have athletes to cover up mistakes. I think the biggest difference, especially once we get into conference games, will be playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 408
    Given: 281

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Easier to look better when you have athletes to cover up mistakes. I think the biggest difference, especially once we get into conference games, will be playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

I have a feeling he will keep the pedal down all season. Im sure if we wanted to, we could have blow up teams worse than we have so far, but he is really working the rotations and giving the bench a run at it.....which will help down the line for sure. I just like where we are at right now.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,713
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I was thinking about this last night after the game, on how it seems that Greg does not have to micromanage the games this year, at least thus far.

It was clear in '06-'08 he had to, we didn't have the players to run/score and we had to rely on defense and managed offensive situations. These things will still be important this year but not like in previous seasons.

I see the toughest battle Greg has is keeping the team mentality for these kids and making sure when they do start running it doesn't turn into chaos on the court. Otherwise, it could be his "easiest" coaching season yet...or at least one where he does not have to meticulously manage every second of every game.
    Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again, that McDermott knows basketball better than just about anyone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

It is nice to know we have several people who can put the ball in the hole.

Days of 0 for 10 are long gone. We even have people who can drive the lane.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Another thing to consider is this is DG's third sesaon in Greg's "system." I put it in quotes because after watching last night it looks like Greg has taken the muzzle off of everyone a little bit. I don't think he has his offensive strategy as structured as before. Craig still has to touch the ball every trip down the floor, but it doesn't feel as structured as it did last year.

I really think DG has a better understand now of what Greg wants from him in the point guard stop. 11 assists 3 turnovers last night, 5 and 1 the other night. In the blow out wins, he could said ok, I'm gonna score because I can agaisnt this competition, and he didn't. He stayed disciplined and stayed in his role.

I also think Christopherson has had a bigger impact than most people realize. He has shown to be a more complete player than Lucca in the early get go. His pull-up game has been very solid. It takes pressure off of Lucca because he isn't the only deadly shooter on the perimeter.

The team just seems to have confidence in each other's abilities this year that I haven't seen in awhile. I also think part of that comes from Greg having confidence in their abilities this year.

Last edited by cgwarrior33; 11-18-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

We've heard that he was going to open things up for a few years now and it didn't happen, so my concern was that it wasn't going to happen. But we've seen that he'll open it up when he has the horses. I'm really happy to see that he'll adjust and let the players play. I could not be more thrilled about this team. I cannot wait for the ND matchup.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cgwarrior33 View Post
    Another thing to consider is this is DG's third sesaon in Greg's "system." I put it in quotes because after watching last night it looks like Greg has taken the muzzle off of everyone a little bit. I really think DG has a better understand now of what Greg wants from him in the point guard stop. 11 assists 3 turnovers last night, 5 and 1 the other night. In the blow out wins, he could said ok, I'm gonna score because I can agaisnt this competition, and he didn't. He stayed disciplined and stayed in his role.

I also think Christopherson has had a bigger impact than most people realize. He has shown to be a more complete player than Lucca in the early get go. His pull-up game has been very solid. It takes pressure off of Lucca because he isn't the only deadly shooter on the perimeter.

The team just seems to have confidence in each other's abilities this year that I haven't seen in awhile. I also think part of that comes from Greg having confidence in their abilities this year.

Shows his maturity. This is what we want in a pg. Business as usual.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Shows his maturity. This is what we want in a pg. Business as usual.
    Exactly. I think Greg TRUSTS his point guard play this year more so than any other year. CC has had a steep learning curve and has shown he can handle it. He is still a freshman at times, but he doesn't look lost the way Buck and DG did as freshman. If Dominique Buckley is our 3rd point guard, we have a very very solid group.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,284
    Given: 1,115

Exactly. I think Greg TRUSTS his point guard play this year more so than any other year. CC has had a steep learning curve and has shown he can handle it. He is still a freshman at times, but he doesn't look lost the way Buck and DG did as freshman. If Dominique Buckley is our 3rd point guard, we have a very very solid group.
    Amen, because I think Buckley would be pretty good.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 820

Another thing to consider is this is DG's third sesaon in Greg's "system." I put it in quotes because after watching last night it looks like Greg has taken the muzzle off of everyone a little bit. I don't think he has his offensive strategy as structured as before. Craig still has to touch the ball every trip down the floor, but it doesn't feel as structured as it did last year.

I really think DG has a better understand now of what Greg wants from him in the point guard stop. 11 assists 3 turnovers last night, 5 and 1 the other night. In the blow out wins, he could said ok, I'm gonna score because I can agaisnt this competition, and he didn't. He stayed disciplined and stayed in his role.

What a huge asset he is going to be for us. He's tenacious and hustles on defense too.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes. We will need that depth before the end of the year because CC will hit the proverbeal (sp) Freshman Wall at some point in the season. Get the popcorn ready ladies and gentlemen. Its gonna be a fun year.

Its a great time to be a Cyclone. Football, MBB, WBB, VB, Men's and Women's XC, and Wrestling....let's enjoy the rides will we can!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,284
    Given: 1,115

Yes. We will need that depth before the end of the year because CC will hit the proverbeal (sp) Freshman Wall at some point in the season. Get the popcorn ready ladies and gentlemen. Its gonna be a fun year.

Its a great time to be a Cyclone. Football, MBB, WBB, VB, Men's and Women's XC, and Wrestling....let's enjoy the rides will we can!
    Outstanding point about the freshman wall.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We are definitely positioning ourselves for success. With this success it generates buzz and funding which should help continue growth and a stable program. I dont want to get too ahead of myself, but it seems like pieces are finally coming together even with a few kicks to the nads here and there.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

The big thing is, we're not relying on freshman this year. Colvin will play some good minutes but unless injury happens or DG falls apart, he won't be completely relied on. In most every other season, we relied heavily on freshman or players that were young and/or out of position.

I know we have new faces but these guys have played at/near this level.

It's a great situation to not be forced to play guys that simply are not ready. Huge weight off Greg's shoulders.