Drake athletics - Mickey Mouse operation
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Drake athletics - Mickey Mouse operation

Let me start by saying, I'm a fan of Drake. I pull for them - like most little guys. I was full on the bandwagon a few years back under Keno. I like to take in the dollar football games they've had in the past. Relays? Enough said.

But last night and the events leading up to it were just a bit much and Sandy Hatfield-Club (if I got that right) and company need to get their collective crap together.

I relayed a few weeks ago the joke their ticketing system is for finding and buying tickets. Don't think I mentioned that the tickets were never mailed. Some reason they were left in Will Call. Now I admit it's entirely possible I missed something in the mess of the online order form they have. But I DID enter a shipping address (which was on my receipt), not sure how I would've missed a shipping method. But whatever - I live in DM. Just a pain to pick them up.

Ran out of programs 30 minutes before tip. Again, father-in-law wanted one, I didn't. No biggie for me. Got some concessions - pretty meager. Nachos were a rip, particulary the chip dust that I was given. But you'll have that anywhere.

Here's the beef, and I'm wondering how many Clones were affected by this. Apparently, Drake decided it was a good idea to take a near sellout game and mingle general admission seats within reserved seat sections. We had reserved seats. A bunch of people around us had tickets for GA, any seat between section X and Y - which were the upper sideline seats where most ISU fans were seated (we were in 17). So all through the beginning of the game - there were GA's looking for seats, or regularly getting displaced by reserved seat holders. I had to boot one guy. And the first 3-5 minutes of the game was my looking at the backside of an usher moving people several times.

Anyone else affected by this? Can you imagine JP selling GA's during the iowa basketball game? Maybe this year, more like the KU game - this had to be about the biggest draw for Drake this season. I honestly can't think a worse ticketing idea than mixing GAs with reserved.

Ah well, don't have to worry about it again for another 2 years and will definately know better next time.

BTW - great job Clone fans. I'd say it was easily 30%+ cardinal in there. Probably closer to 40%.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 11-18-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,025
    Given: 2,414

Re: Drake athletics - Mickey Mouse operation

I got a program at halftime.

Our tickets were will call, which wasn't my preference, but they did move that line pretty quickly.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was definitely thinking that there were at least 1500-2000 Cyclones in there. That was really fun to see.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

That's why I don't even bother going to the Knapp Center for the ISU game. Just not a very good experience, between finding parking and dealing with these kinds of issues.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    That's why I don't even bother going to the Knapp Center for the ISU game. Just not a very good experience, between finding parking and dealing with these kinds of issues.
    The other issues weren't so bad. The parking was a real mess.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    It's unfortunate, because I've gone to probaby 4 or the last 5 games at Drake, and I've always enjoyed it. This is certainly an exception, and it dropped off SO drastically.

The only beef in the past is the parking (have to pay for about any lot). But I freely admit that ISU fans are spoiled when it comes to such things. Man we got it good up in Ames for both FB and events at Hilton.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    It's unfortunate, because I've gone to probaby 4 or the last 5 games at Drake, and I've always enjoyed it. This is certainly and exception, and it dropped off SO drastically.

The only beef in the past is the parking (paid for about any lot). But I freely admit that ISU fans are spoiled when it comes to such things. Man we got it good up in Ames for both FB and events at Hilton.
    Yeah. It became really clear what a cushy, spoiled setup we have. I want to go to the Knapp next time, no doubt. At the same time, there's no doubt that what we have is much, much better.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere last night as well. I thought that both fanbases were into it. I wondered for a bit whether we could have even purchased tickets had Keno stayed at Drake.

As loud as it got, I can't wait to hear the noise this team generates in Hilton.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

i have only been to the knapp center once and it wasn't of an isu or iowa or uni game. however they didn't score for like 7 minutes at the beginning of the game and we had to stand and clap till they got their first basket. not very fun if your not a really big fan. haha

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Yeah. It became really clear what a cushy, spoiled setup we have. I want to go to the Knapp next time, no doubt. At the same time, there's no doubt that what we have is much, much better.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere last night as well. I thought that both fanbases were into it. I wondered for a bit whether we could have even purchased tickets had Keno stayed at Drake.

As loud as it got, I can't wait to hear the noise this team generates in Hilton.
    Keno did the right thing by heading to greener pastures. Not a knock on Drake - but I think he caught lightning in a bottle that season. Hard to sustain that at a place like Drake.

Again - most of the stuff is just an annoyance. But for the life of me, I can't fathom why they thought that ticketing situation was a good one. I felt particularly bad for the older couple in front of us who got moved (GAs). A Drake season ticket holder got them the tickets. The lady spent the first half explaining to everyone what they had and why they were moving all the time - doing so almost apologetically, trying not to come off a the bad guy. Really ended up feeling bad for her.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 1,234

I liked some of the things Drake did during the game too. Their men's soccer team has done really really well! Also having a player speak at the end even for a minute was pretty neat.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post
    I liked some of the things Drake did during the game too. Their men's soccer team has done really really well! Also having a player speak at the end even for a minute was pretty neat.
    That was Young, and I too was very impressed with that.

I've heard him on the radio several times and he seems to be a quality young man.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Keno did the right thing by heading to greener pastures. Not a knock on Drake - but I think he caught lightning in a bottle that season. Hard to sustain that at a place like Drake.

Again - most of the stuff is just an annoyance. But for the life of me, I can't fathom why they thought that ticketing situation was a good one. I felt particularly bad for the older couple in front of us who got moved (GAs). A Drake season ticket holder got them the tickets. The lady spent the first half explaining to everyone what they had and why they were moving all the time - doing so almost apologetically, trying not to come off a the bad guy. Really ended up feeling bad for her.
    I agree that Keno made the right call. He had to move while the chance was there, and Drake just hasn't been providing that chance for the last 40 years.

I didn't like the will call thing. I didn't like the signage out front for it, and there's really no reason not to have print-at-home tickets for something like that. I think they moved the line very well.

I see what you're saying and I agree. Some of what you've posted I just didn't see, but I was probably in a different part of the building (unless you're the tall red-headed guy in the yellow hoodie just in front of us). So it works for me.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I agree that Keno made the right call. He had to move while the chance was there, and Drake just hasn't been providing that chance for the last 40 years.

I didn't like the will call thing. I didn't like the signage out front for it, and there's really no reason not to have print-at-home tickets for something like that. I think they moved the line very well.

I see what you're saying and I agree. Some of what you've posted I just didn't see, but I was probably in a different part of the building (unless you're the tall red-headed guy in the yellow hoodie just in front of us). So it works for me.
    Yeah - that was a bit confusing as well. That was our semi-embarrassing moment of the night. The will call line was the only one there and the only door open - so we were in it for a minute or two -with tickets in hand. Whoops. I don't think we were alone, however - as a ticket taker then came out several times and told people they could enter the other doors if they already had tix.

I'm really glad I took the time to go get the tix yesterday over lunch.

Ah well. We'll bookmark this thread and break it out in a couple years as a "watch out for" checklist for the Drake game..

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 1,234

Erik & I were talking about how much they raked in with $28 dollar tickets plus feeding most people supper. We thought they'd get even more (and help with the parking issues) to have a few lots set aside for visitors and pay to park there.

Though seeing the streets surrounding Knapp thay would be hard to do.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah - that was a bit confusing as well. That was our semi-embarrassing moment of the night. The will call line was the only one there and the only door open - so we were in it for a minute or two -with tickets in hand. Whoops. I don't think we were alone, however - as a ticket taker then came out several times and told people they could enter the other doors if they already had tix.

I'm really glad I took the time to go get the tix yesterday over lunch.

Ah well. We'll bookmark this thread and break it out in a couple years as a "watch out for" checklist for the Drake game..
    We came from the west (just west of the stadium), and got fooled by the sign that read "Coaches & Players & Will Call." Driving by, I thought it obviously didn't apply to us. Walking up, I saw the &, and figured that I make a good &, so I tried that line. Several of us had to leave that one once I got to the front, because we all made the same mistake.