Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

Philosophy of the Cyclone offense

Over the years here at CF, I have read many a thread regarding the insane playbook and how the Cyclone offense under GMac is somehow flawed and based on perimeter shooting. Now, I am not a coach and I rode the pine for most of my high school games, but I have been religiously following college basketball since the 1985 title game between Georgetown & Villanova. This doesn't make me an expert on coaching tactics, but it does give me credibility.

If you had to compare coach MAc to anybody, it would have to be Norm Stewart. As much as I hated that man, he knew how to use his team. In our offense and the old Missouri offenses, the first option will almost always be to the inside. This is the bread and butter. Norm always had a couple of bodies to go inside to on a consistent basis. The shooters are not the focus, but merely there to keep things honest.

Our offense is based around our lottery pick. No doubt. But the idea is to have the double team come form the weak side instead of a guard dropping down. With the addition of Gilstrap to the lineup, the higher % shot opens up via pass from Brackins or DG. If the guard comes down to the block on Brackins, the 3 is wide open for the taking. The design does not include high ball screens as the old Stewart teams did, and the Cyclones look to bring the 5 out to the perimeter, but the basic principles are found in both systems.

As for the playbook, the only person who needs to know all of them is the coach. He draws them up. Every team has their own set of 7-10 plays that are considered their bread & butter. All the tricks can be re-evaluated during timeouts and any other play stoppage. Of course, the more the players know, the better chance to adapt when the game is tight and the clock won't stop.

After reading an in-game post that stated "4-9 3ptrs, 44%? Is that how we are going to win games this year" or something very similar.

Taking 15-20 3 pointers has not been uncommon in college basketball for quite some time. Some teams do it by design, while others refuse to get into a shoot-out.

If you make 'em when your open, it is worth it. If you are chucking junk up because nothing else is working, you have problems.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 39

Re: Philosophy of the Cyclone offense

The vast majority of very good offenses will work inside out. I will always be of the opinion that you cannot win consistently without an inside presence. Kind of like I believe in football you cannot win against tough opponents consistently without being able to run the ball.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Re: Philosophy of the Cyclone offense

Well if you think he's like Norm Stewart, that's not a bad pattern to follow. I hated the man as a coach but he had a hall of fame career at Missouri.