Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 40

Logic Course on Harrison Barnes

As you may or may not know, there have been quite a few posts about HB lately on these forums... and I would just like to point out the reasoning behind where most people stand on the issue, and why most people are wrong (that's a joke; people usually find it offensive when you question their judgment/opinions).

Here's the reasoning:

For those of us on here who are, i can only assume, extraordinarily liberal, or female, the common consensus is "hey guys, let's cool it down here... first of all, he's just a kid, and more importantly he just picked the school that he thought would fit him the best". That's a great opinion... unfortunately, it is borderline commit-ably insane, and here's why:

Ok hippy McHippyer-son, picture this in your head: You're the son of a collegiate basketball player; you find out early on, you're not half bad at the sport your father excelled at. Your mother, as it turns out, also works at the same university he played at. You've cheered all your life for the school. In middle school, the team even had a chance at a title, but fell short at the elite 8, and they aren't half bad... Now in high school, you have a collegiate offer from that school! Dream come true for any iowan... It's early in your career, of course, so you hold off; why commit at such an early age? Your senior year, after determining you could go to any school you wanted to for free, you end up determining you'd love to go to a school in north carolina, despite your friends and family, and the community's opinion... One and done, and you'll move on; what's it matter where you're at for a year?

As I mentioned earlier, if you're not a woman or a liberal hippy, you should find a huge problem with this... I'll put you in the following camps:

• He's just 17! he's a kid! get off his back!!! Wow, really? I'd put money on asking you when you were 17 if you'd consider yourself a kid (you'd probably say 'hell no')... He's a few months from being 'legal', so to give him any slack for his decisions as being too young to know what he's doing is ridiculous.
    • He's just doing what's best for him! I honestly don't care for roy williams either way, but i don't know how you could say this is best for him with a straight face... National championship team, with 2 (now 3) top 10 picks coming in... a #1 pick should not be sitting on the bench; however, this team's a pretty good way of finding out if that's possible, anyway.
    • You can't win the NCAA at ISU that's an unfortunate viewpoint.... Basketball is one of the few team sports that is determined by a very few number of people; given the right circumstances, a group of 5 guys could win anywhere.

Moral of this (very long) story is this: those of you who will be rooting for barnes come basketball season next fall; we do not understand:

You can say "listen, he's the best player in the country for 2009, and he's from Iowa" all you want... but I don't buy it... If you were truely an iowan, and one of the best players in the country at any sport, and had the opportunity to play at any of the universities in iowa, you sure as hell wouldn't leave the state.

Even as the best player in the state, add on top of that BOTH your parents have ties to the university and it's a no brainer. I'm sorry, but I have to diverge from most of you on here... I can not cheer for someone who would slap his entire state in the face like this, and I, like a vocal few of you on here, hope he never sees the court at UNC, or at least as a team fails miserably in 2010... He might be one of the greatest players to come out of the state of Iowa, but as far as I'm concerned, outside of this high school season, he no longer has my attention.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 303

Re: Logic Course on Harrison Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    As you may or may not know, there have been quite a few posts about HB lately on these forums... and I would just like to point out the reasoning behind where most people stand on the issue, and why most people are wrong (that's a joke; people usually find it offensive when you question their judgment/opinions).

Here's the reasoning:

For those of us on here who are, i can only assume, extraordinarily liberal, or female, the common consensus is "hey guys, let's cool it down here... first of all, he's just a kid, and more importantly he just picked the school that he thought would fit him the best". That's a great opinion... unfortunately, it is borderline commit-ably insane, and here's why:

Ok hippy McHippyer-son, picture this in your head: You're the son of a collegiate basketball player; you find out early on, you're not half bad at the sport your father excelled at. Your mother, as it turns out, also works at the same university he played at. You've cheered all your life for the school. In middle school, the team even had a chance at a title, but fell short at the elite 8, and they aren't half bad... Now in high school, you have a collegiate offer from that school! Dream come true for any iowan... It's early in your career, of course, so you hold off; why commit at such an early age? Your senior year, after determining you could go to any school you wanted to for free, you end up determining you'd love to go to a school in north carolina, despite your friends and family, and the community's opinion... One and done, and you'll move on; what's it matter where you're at for a year?

As I mentioned earlier, if you're not a woman or a liberal hippy, you should find a huge problem with this... I'll put you in the following camps:

• He's just 17! he's a kid! get off his back!!! Wow, really? I'd put money on asking you when you were 17 if you'd consider yourself a kid (you'd probably say 'hell no')... He's a few months from being 'legal', so to give him any slack for his decisions as being too young to know what he's doing is ridiculous.
    • He's just doing what's best for him! I honestly don't care for roy williams either way, but i don't know how you could say this is best for him with a straight face... National championship team, with 2 (now 3) top 10 picks coming in... a #1 pick should not be sitting on the bench; however, this team's a pretty good way of finding out if that's possible, anyway.
    • You can't win the NCAA at ISU that's an unfortunate viewpoint.... Basketball is one of the few team sports that is determined by a very few number of people; given the right circumstances, a group of 5 guys could win anywhere.

Moral of this (very long) story is this: those of you who will be rooting for barnes come basketball season next fall; we do not understand:

You can say "listen, he's the best player in the country for 2009, and he's from Iowa" all you want... but I don't buy it... If you were truely an iowan, and one of the best players in the country at any sport, and had the opportunity to play at any of the universities in iowa, you sure as hell wouldn't leave the state.

Even as the best player in the state, add on top of that BOTH your parents have ties to the university and it's a no brainer. I'm sorry, but I have to diverge from most of you on here... I can not cheer for someone who would slap his entire state in the face like this, and I, like a vocal few of you on here, hope he never sees the court at UNC, or at least as a team fails miserably in 2010... He might be one of the greatest players to come out of the state of Iowa, but as far as I'm concerned, outside of this high school season, he no longer has my attention.
    I've bled Cardinal and Gold my whole l life, but if I were in his situation... I would probably have gone to UNC too. Just the way it is. Does it suck? Most certainly. Do I care? I'm an ISU fan not a HB fan.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 40

Re: Logic Course on Harrison Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I've bled Cardinal and Gold my whole l life, but if I were in his situation... I would probably have gone to UNC too. Just the way it is. Does it suck? Most certainly. Do I care? I'm an ISU fan not a HB fan.
    If both your parents had ties to the university, and you lived in the town your entire life, it would be a no brainer to go to north carolina? I would think if you truly bled cardinal and gold, you would have no problem showing the country what you were capable of doing at ISU... and you'd enjoy it more than going to a school who just won the championship