Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 41

New John Mayer CD: Battle Studies

John Mayer has a new cd coming out on Tuesday, but I got my hands on it a bit early. Supposedly he took a new approach to his songwriting as a whole. There are some new sounds on the cd, but to be honest, a lot of it sounds like Continuum. Not terrible since Continuum was an awesome cd. This one most definitely has some really cool songs on it though.

Heres my breakdown of songs.

Heartbreak Warfare: One of the best songs on the cd IMO. The main riff is a bit U2ish in that it uses a bit of echo. The whole theme for this album is basically "love is a battlefield". I've always been a huge fan of John Mayer's lyrics, but he has most definitely stepped it up this album. Heartbreak Warfare has some of the best lyrics as well as some of the best singing by Mayer. "If you want more love, why dont you say so?"

All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye: Honestly, not my favorite song. Great lyrics but it just drags on a bit. Repeats the title over and over and over and over and just when youre sick of it, he does it again seven times.

Half of My Heart: Has Taylor Swift in it. She only showcases her vocals on 5 words in one chorus, but it sounds really cool. Theres an acoustic guitar throughout which I am guessing is Swift and a lead blues guitar which I would assume is Mayer. Awesome lyrics again. "Half of my heart cant stop loving you, Half of my heart never truly loved at all". The melody in this song is awesome.

Who Says: This was the first single. I absolutely love it. "Who says I cant get stoned?" Its just John and his guitar in this song and its awesome.

Perfectly Lonely: This could be the male version of "Single Ladies". I can totally relate to this song. Seems like all of my friends got girls or are engaged while I am perfectly content with being perfectly lonely for now. "Nothing to do, nowhere to be, a simple kind of free". The truth brother.

Assassin: Another great lyrics, boring song, song. Thats all I really got. I dont think I've listened to this one all the way through cause its so boring.

Crossroads: My favorite song on the album. Shortest song on the album, not the best lyrics but it is an awesome blues song. John's blues riff is awesome and has a sweet solo in it.

War of My Life: Sounds like vintage Mayer. A little boring, but a good song none the less.

Edge of Desire: This is my favorite song on the album...wait, didnt I already say that? The best singing, lyrics, melody, all around best song IMO. "Dont say a word, just come over and lie here with me." Just awesome song.

Do You Know Me: Boring as hell. Repetitive and lame.

Friends, Lovers, or Nothing: Havent we all been in this situation? No? Just me? Ok, well anyways, John says it best in this song. Basically, about just getting out of a relationship...where do we go now? Seems like every way is a dead end. "Friends, Lovers, or Nothing. There can only be nothing." Typical closing song, right when you think its done, he jams into a solo.

All in all I'd say 8/10. Continuum would be 9/10 or 10/10 on some days depending on the mood. The lyrics on this album are Mayers best with out a doubt, but there are way too many boring songs. I'd still buy it when it comes out.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: New John Mayer CD: Battle Studies

Vintage Meyer sounds like a sissy Dave Matthews to me. Not a fan

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Vintage Meyer sounds like a sissy Dave Matthews to me. Not a fan
    Ha!

What I'm saddened about is I'm waiting for the next SRV, Jimi, or even Clapton (although yes he's still alive). Mayor has the theory, education, inspiration and pure guitar madness that all three of these guitarists have, but comes up flat to me. And yes not totally fond of his singing either.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Ha!

What I'm saddened about is I'm waiting for the next SRV, Jimi, or even Clapton (although yes he's still alive). Mayor has the theory, education, inspiration and pure guitar madness that all three of these guitarists have, but comes up flat to me. And yes not totally fond of his singing either.
    I think his song writing abilities (lyrics, structure, etc) are most definitely up to par with the legends you mentioned. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying John Mayer's a legend, but he is most certainly an amazing writer. His live recordings/performances are much much much more different than his studio songs. He incorporates a lot more blues into his songs along with a lot more solos.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

Whenever I hear John Mayer play the blues, it makes me really sad that he doesn't focus on that genre more. The guy has some SERIOUS chops.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Whenever I hear John Mayer play the blues, it makes me really sad that he doesn't focus on that genre more. The guy has some SERIOUS chops.
    Word. I went to a show of his in Minneapolis to do radio promo years ago. He is the real deal, even if it is a NERFed out amalgam of Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy. He also has the BEST guitargasms of anyone at that level.

Scientific > Heady

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

John Mayer + Dave Matthews =

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 228

I'm with you; I'm not a big John Mayer fan, but have you heard his live John Mayer Trio album "TRY!"? That's good blues stuff. The guy can definitely play blues guitar, but he still comes across as the guy who wrote "Your Body is a Wonderland".

I would argue that most of his lyrics are painfully bland.

Also, I had to chuckle that the OP kept saying that songs were boring but then gave the CD an 8/10.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I believe Family Guy said it best......

"That's enough John Mayer."

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

John who?

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

guy's music makes me want to dry heave.... I swear his music is force fed to the masses on clear channel stations.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JBone84 View Post
    I'm with you; I'm not a big John Mayer fan, but have you heard his live John Mayer Trio album "TRY!"? That's good blues stuff. The guy can definitely play blues guitar, but he still comes across as the guy who wrote "Your Body is a Wonderland".

Also, I had to chuckle that the OP kept saying that songs were boring but then gave the CD an 8/10.
    That album is exactly what I'm talking about. The guy can straight up play. I just wish he'd quit putting out "Bigger Than My Body" esque crap.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The non boring songs are that good that they make up for it. If I skip over the boring ones and just listen to the good ones, it's a great cd...

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 228

That album is exactly what I'm talking about. The guy can straight up play. I just wish he'd quit putting out "Bigger Than My Body" esque crap.
    I guess when you're making a buttload of money with teenager hits such as "Bigger Than My Body" there's no reason to play the blues and market yourself to a way smaller crowd.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I guess when you're making a buttload of money with teenager hits such as "Bigger Than My Body" there's no reason to play the blues and market yourself to a way smaller crowd.
    I read an interview with Mayer one time where he said something to the effect that he made his money with the pop hits, and now he can live comfortably and make the music he really wants to make, hence albums like "Try!" and "Continuum". It seems very sell-outish, but at the same time it's pretty damn pragmatic. Hard to really blame him for it.