Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU MBB and Harrison Barnes

Yes, I know we have 18,000ish threads on HB, but with zero hour approaching I wanted to help provide some prospective from someone who has been through the recruiting game and lost a highly targeted recruit by our program. Its a punch in the stomach and it hurts when you invest as much time as coaches do in recruits. You end up treating them like sons to try and get them to your school and then they do become your sons once they get on campus. It is a very hard thing to try to stay emotionally unattached, but at the end of the day, these 17, 18, 19, 20 year old kids hold your job and your future in their hands, so its not hard to become attached.

I do want to make one statement though. HB's recruiting saga has been something that has not been seen for sometime at Iowa State. He has developed some very good and close relationships with all of the players and the coaching staff. This has been a total program recruitment. Its going to be difficult for some to focus on the game tonight with HB's impending anouncement.

One of two things could possibly happen tonight at the game, with the team. As stated before this has been a total program involvement. Very few of the players have been through the recruiting wars of a very big target for the program as a coach has. I'm not talking highly ranked, but someone the staff highly values for the future of the program.

With that said the team can look one of two ways tonight. If HB does happpen to choose ISU, you will see an extra bounce in every one's step. A lot more adrenaline and excitement with everyone involved in the program. The other thing to think about is what if HB chooses someone else? With the amount of friendships that have been created through his recruitment, some players may feel like they have been punched in the stomach. They could come out flat and struggle in the beginning.

My biggest thing is this, Mr. Barnes cannot play a game for ISU until next year. No matter what his decision is, the fans need to show the team and the program that one player does not make a program. We need to be loud and proud tonight, especially if he doesn't choose I-State. The program is going to feel a lot more hurt than any of us can ever imagine. We need to show everyone that yes we care about the future, but we are way more concerned with the present and A TEAM THAT IS POSSIBLY ON THE VERGE OF A VERY SPECIAL SEASON. Something that we have not had in a few years.

I ask all of you, good news or bad news, show up and pack Hilton tonight. Show your appreciation for the players and the coaching staff, because no matter what HB's decision is, I guarantee the program did everything they possibly could to land Harrison Barnes. Be loud and proud no matter what.

NOTE: I am not calling any one out for not showing up before or anything in regards to that. I just want people to know, that no matter what, Iowa State will have a 2009-2010 basketball season and it has a very good opportunity to be a very good one. No matter what Mr. Barnes' decision is, this could be a defining year for ISU MBB for the next several years. Remain supportive of the staff and players because in the end, it is a team game and one person will not make a program.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

Re: ISU MBB and Harrison Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by cgwarrior33 View Post
    I ask all of you, good news or bad news, show up and pack Hilton tonight. Show your appreciation for the players and the coaching staff, because no matter what HB's decision is, I guarantee the program did everything they possibly could to land Harrison Barnes. Be loud and proud no matter what.
    Yes, yes, and for good measure, YES. If HB doesn't commit, life moves on. McD possibly has the best team he's ever had assembled here at ISU this year, and we need to be there to support THAT team. Barnes committing would be great, and the impact on the program would be transformative. But as of right now, we've already got a great team, and a player that, mind you, was another highly touted 5* recruit back in 2006-07.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Very true AirWalke. I'm not telling people they shouldn't be upset about HB, but tonight is the season opener and regardless of Harrison's decision, we have an opportunity to have a great team. I just don't want people to forget that.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

This will be a great year for Cyclone basketball both men's and women's. And Wrestling. It will be awesome and I'm thrilled about 3 games in 5 days to start the year. With or without Barnes it should not impact THIS season which should be outstanding.

Recruit
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Couldn't agree more Giant!!! Either way it goes at 3:05, we are better off today than we were a year ago and I hope we can say the same thing next season!

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We will find out in an hour and then its on to focus on Idaho State. We can't afford any slip ups early this year. Time to make a statement this weekend with all sports: FB, MBB, WBB, Wrestling, VB.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Bump - the guys on this team deserve our support and we have a great year to look forward to. ISU basketball is bigger than one player no matter how good that player is.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Exactly Bryce. The boys are going to need a pick me up tonight. HB was like a member of this team because of his interactions with everyone. Its a punch in the stomach but this team will move on because his decision does not effect this year. I hope everyone is louder and prouder than any KU, Texas, Mizzou...game, so that we can show these young men we care about the future of the program, but we care more about the PRESENT!

I hope Coach Mac can help make sure everyone stays focused on Idaho State!

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just hope people realize there is more to the future of this team than one player. The players read this board and its a slap in the face to them for those of you who are acting like the sky is falling and next year they will be bad because we didn't get so and so. People are worried about the future of the program. The future of the program is in the hands of DG, Colvin, Buck, Ham, Dendy, L.A., Scott Christopherson, Melvin Ejim and others. If you don't want to believe in these guys futures thats fine, but I will. I have seen how hard those guys work (with the exception of Ejim) and I have no doubt we will be OK. We may not score as much as people want, but I will take games in the 50's and win 20+ games than I will scoring 80 and losing. Do not knock the guys who are the present and the future because they are Cyclones just like we are.

Prospect
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Man I love your posts The guys looked good last night It's gonna be a great year!!

riceville98

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,247

If people aren't excited about the guys who want to be Cyclones, that's their problem. I don't see how they can not be excited, but whatever.

This team is going to be a whole lot of fun, and the future is bright, too.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 778

great posts by everyone here. i'm so excited for basketball!!

Are you a member?

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    If people aren't excited about the guys who want to be Cyclones, that's their problem. I don't see how they can not be excited, but whatever.

This team is going to be a whole lot of fun, and the future is bright, too.
    Agreed, I was very impressed with last night's game. Gilstrap is looking good.

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,455
    Given: 1,247

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    Agreed, I was very impressed with last night's game. Gilstrap is looking good.
    And right now he's pressing. You could see the difference once he made that free throw and got going. He suddenly goes off.

Who do you guard on this team. Matchup nightmare.

Soon, we'll see these words in print/previews and such: The high-scoring Iowa State Cyclones........

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/