Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 14

Many Great Players Go To..

Duke and North Carolina. Many are on the national spotlight every week. Here's the thing though: Almost everyone on Duke and North Carolina are great. You sign with them because you're great, but everyone else who signs with them is usually just as good as you (well not always, but usually). Harrison is an extremely good basketball player at this point in his life, but he should realize there's going to be guys he has to compete with on the same team that are just as good as him.

Not taking anything away from him, just saying that I have seen a lot of great players at Duke and UNC not get their shot to play much just purely because of the competition level even though they're very good players. If they would have gone to a "smaller" program (i.e. let's say a Michigan for example) they would have definitely started and who knows: Maybe would have gone to the NBA.

I just hope he realizes that just because he signs with a Duke or UNC, doesn't mean he's automatically a starter. They are good academic schools and he is obviously a fairly intelligent young man, but I just hope he realizes this.

Hopefully we're all happy at 3 tomorrow though!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 541

Re: Many Great Players Go To..

He would start at any school in the country.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    Most likely, but that's not my point. You still have to do the work. He's an intelligent man so he probably realizes this, but you'd be surprised.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I'm not sure there are any players just as good as Harrison, on UNC or Duke's team?

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 986
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 167

If I was Hb and read this board, I would go somewhere other than ISU. You guys are out of control with the obsession.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I'm not sure there are any players just as good as Harrison, on UNC or Duke's team?
    Just because you're the best doesn't mean you don't have to work. That is my point.

Rookie
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    This. People need to stop saying "he's just going to be another player at ___, but a legend at ISU". This kid is going to be good where ever he decides to play. He works hard as it is and is only going to improve, and hopefully that is with coach Mac.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    If I was Hb and read this board, I would go somewhere other than ISU. You guys are out of control with the obsession.
    Yeah? Maybe you should check out other schools' boards too. Actually, Barnes was or maybe still is the #4 most searched on Bing. Duke and UNC fans are just as crazy

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    This. People need to stop saying "he's just going to be another player at ___, but a legend at ISU". This kid is going to be good where ever he decides to play. He works hard as it is and is only going to improve, and hopefully that is with coach Mac.

I never said he'd be a legend at ISU. I just said I hope he keeps working his *** off to ensure he'd do well at whatever school he goes to and not get into a trap of a certain psychological mindset.

The future isn't made up. We play games for a reason.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Even though he may start, I think that there is going to be a lot more competition for playing time at Duke or UNC. Along with this comes a lot more high pressure environment to produce. Can't really have an off day there. I honestly think any of his final 6 choices will get him to the same point in the NBA. Also I don't put a lot of stock in past history of UNC or Duke. That really doesn't do anything for HB now. He would be just another cog in their machine.

If he came to ISU, he would be the face of a major D1 university. Pollard/Marketing would have a hay day with him. Every kid/adult would want an autograph. Billboards of him everywhere. Plenty of time on ESPN with the strength of the Big 12. And I still think he gets to the NBA.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Just because you're the best doesn't mean you don't have to work. That is my point.
    The kid has a 4.0 GPA

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

Keep in mind that every highly ranked player is not an automatic success at a big school. Look back at Josh McRoberts....also ranked #2 in the nation....and he didn't blow the doors off of anyone at Duke right away.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    The kid has a 4.0 GPA
    First of all, I know he's intelligent. I referenced it a few times before. However, I wouldn't get into the slippery slope of thinking someone who is very intelligent makes the best "decision" out of a list of choices 100 percent of the time.

The only thing I will say is, if he doesn't come to ISU, definitely not the end of the world even if it would be cool. No matter where he goes, I hope he kills in the league and hope he makes the best decisions available to him at the time.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    Keep in mind that every highly ranked player is not an automatic success at a big school. Look back at Josh McRoberts....also ranked #2 in the nation....and he didn't blow the doors off of anyone at Duke right away.
    Exactly. People think it's a done deal. You still have to do the work no matter where you go or else you'll be in for a big surprise, even if your skill and potential is ultimately higher than everyone else's.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Duke and North Carolina. Many are on the national spotlight every week. Here's the thing though: Almost everyone on Duke and North Carolina are great. You sign with them because you're great, but everyone else who signs with them is usually just as good as you (well not always, but usually). Harrison is an extremely good basketball player at this point in his life, but he should realize there's going to be guys he has to compete with on the same team that are just as good as him.

Not taking anything away from him, just saying that I have seen a lot of great players at Duke and UNC not get their shot to play much just purely because of the competition level even though they're very good players. If they would have gone to a "smaller" program (i.e. let's say a Michigan for example) they would have definitely started and who knows: Maybe would have gone to the NBA.

I just hope he realizes that just because he signs with a Duke or UNC, doesn't mean he's automatically a starter. They are good academic schools and he is obviously a fairly intelligent young man, but I just hope he realizes this.

Hopefully we're all happy at 3 tomorrow though!
    What you described is often looked at by recruits as a very good thing. The opportunity to play with and compete against elite players every day in practice can help the development of a young prospect. If you're good enough, and Harrison Barnes clearly is, you'll stick out even with elite players around you like he would have at Duke or UNC.

Jason Williams was deciding between going to Rutgers or going to Duke and he was dead set on Rutgers. His mom asked him: "Which would you rather be: a king among paupers or a king among kings?" The rest in that case is obviously history.

And I'm not saying that ISU is Rutgers because it's clearly a step above at least, but a lot of elite kids like Harrison Barnes relish competition, they don't shy away from it. That's what makes them the best of the best.