recruits that could play early next year??
    Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 140

recruits that could play early next year??

i noticed we have alot of 3-star recruits. obviously we need help at linebacker and on the d-line next year so i am wondering who we could see next year out of the newcomers? jeremiah george only weighs 191 lbs so i am guessing he would be moved to safety, maybe taking james smith's spot? cqulin hubert seems like a decent lb, but kinda lacks size also. we need someone in the middle to fill jesse smith's shoes which will be quite difficutl. jesse isnt the biggest or fastest guy, but always seems to be in the right place because he is smart, not to mention a great tackler! jesse has become one of my favorite cyclones! there's alot of hype on jared barnett, but we have plenty of QBs so i dont see him playing at all next year. he may not even play until late in his career. i like the 2 tight end recruits and think they will be solid behind collin franklin and we have some good o-lione recruits. we will have a great o-line for years to come and our offense should be really good but im worried about the defense. we already suck on d, andwe lose most of our linebackers and d-lineman. could be the worst d in the nation next year!

This is Ophion speaking.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,557
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 135

Re: recruits that could play early next year??

ISU won't have the worst defense in the county because they don't have the worst defensive coaches in the country. Wally has show that he can get something out of very little. Last year these same players were part of the worst defense in the country.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 303

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    i noticed we have alot of 3-star recruits. obviously we need help at linebacker and on the d-line next year so i am wondering who we could see next year out of the newcomers? jeremiah george only weighs 191 lbs so i am guessing he would be moved to safety, maybe taking james smith's spot? cqulin hubert seems like a decent lb, but kinda lacks size also. we need someone in the middle to fill jesse smith's shoes which will be quite difficutl. jesse isnt the biggest or fastest guy, but always seems to be in the right place because he is smart, not to mention a great tackler! jesse has become one of my favorite cyclones! there's alot of hype on jared barnett, but we have plenty of QBs so i dont see him playing at all next year. he may not even play until late in his career. i like the 2 tight end recruits and think they will be solid behind collin franklin and we have some good o-lione recruits. we will have a great o-line for years to come and our offense should be really good but im worried about the defense. we already suck on d, andwe lose most of our linebackers and d-lineman. could be the worst d in the nation next year!
    George will be a LB. No doubt about it. I'm guessing he'll play SAM where we can use his speed and coverage ability.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 1

I hope Jared Barnett can get over his injury problems. He missed several games his junior year with a shoulder problem, and this year he has apparently been hampered with a partially torn hip flexor tendon. Hope they red-shirt him and give him a year to heal and get more physically developed.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think we are going to see a lot of Jake Knott and A.J. Klein next year. I could easily see Klein moving to DE. He has the potential size and quickness to be a good'un. I like the idea of Klein and Maggitt on the ends. As far as MIKE goes I really have no idea. Knott seems like more of a WILL to me but maybe he could take the middle spot. I really wish we hadn't lost Ernest Grahm last year. He could have been a beast.

Our lack of recuits at these positions is looking very problematic. I hope the coaches have a couple of players up their sleeve. We are thin in the front 7 and are going to get a hell of a lot thinner next year. We loose all three starters at LB and two (possibly three) d-linemen. Yikes!

I doubt there will be many freshman that step in and play right away on the D-Line it really takes at least two years in college to develop enough body streangth to play the position. Do we have any Juco-D linemen on the radar?

Rookie
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

No way Klein moves to DE. Runs to well to not have him play MLB. He and Knott will be 3 year starters at LB, and everything will build around that. I like it too, both are getting experience this year, and they have the size to be effective Big12 LB's.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Klein is too good of an athlete to not keep at MLB. There's a reason he makes every tackle on every special teams. He's fast, and has a knack for getting to the ball.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 736
    Given: 92

I think you better get used to seeing small LBs on this team. That seems to be the trend in defending the spread. This is fine with me. The only problem arises when you play a team that likes to line up and pound the football and your guys cannot use their speed. Since we play in the big 12 I will take the speed over size every day. I also think Floyd Mattison plays next year. He seems to be a freak.

It's all snark from here on out

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    No way Klein moves to DE. Runs to well to not have him play MLB. He and Knott will be 3 year starters at LB, and everything will build around that. I like it too, both are getting experience this year, and they have the size to be effective Big12 LB's.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Klein is too good of an athlete to not keep at MLB. There's a reason he makes every tackle on every special teams. He's fast, and has a knack for getting to the ball.
    I would assume that Klein stays at MLB.

In general, however, if I were creating a hypothetical dominant defense that was limited to superior speed and athletic ability at only one of the two positions - I would choose DE over MLB every time. You can design and scheme many ways to limit the effectiveness of a MLB. Nobody impacts a game more than a dominant DE. All you have to do is to check out the top 10 college teams and playoff NFL teams to see this play out time after time.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 415

The Juco's (Young, Givens, Howard), Mattison, Van Der Kamp. Couple defensive guys getting some snaps and mostly special teams.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Floyd Mattison seems athletic and big enough to take James Smith's spot right now.

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

george and hubert are undersized BUT Walley is going for speed and quickness they have it. I remember a couple years ago when texas three linebackers that started were 215 215 and 220. They were considered probably lacking size for their position but they could flat out run and were quick.Not saying George and Hubert are anywhere near as good as texas linebackers but if they have speed and quickness i see them playing. Floyd Mattison is going to be a stud from day 1.