Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Senior day at JT

I was reading a rather flattering article that had quotes in it from a CU player that has already played twice in Ames and he called it "a hostile environment" and went on to say that it is a "hard place to play".

I started thinking and realized that Colorado hasn't won in Ames since 2003 and that this makes the forth time in a row that they have played here for senior day. ISU has also won 3 of their 4 final home games since 2005.

For me, this spells a recipe for victory. The weather looks like it will be perfect. If your a Cyclone fan in Iowa, you should get your tickets and get to the game to watch the Cyclones become bowl eligible for the first time in 4 years. Let's not have another pathetic turnout like we did last week.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 125

Re: Senior day at JT

I know a lot of people think it's a lame excuse, but the terrible October (weatherwise) is REALLY hurting our attendance. I would bet about 3,000-5,000 people attending an ISU game of 45,000 attendance or higher are directly involved with agriculture/actually farm. My dad and uncle were able to harvest 5 days in October. 5 ******* days. And that was pushing it in regards to crop moisture. Now that the weather is good, farmers absolutely have to go. They straight up CANT take off a day for a football game. It hurt attendance last week for sure (as did TV) and we need a rocking crowd for the boys on saturday.

People say that Iowa fans find a way to make it, and there are plenty of farmers who cheer for Iowa, and while this is true, hardly any of those farmers are alums, so they don't donate to the University nor do they make it a priority to get to as many games as possible.

Bottom line, this is a reality we're dealing with that a lot of other schools don't. I think there were quite a few people last week that said "to hell with going, it's on tv". I actually think no TV helps attendance.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,401
    Given: 2,920

No TV and being the last home game are huge factors in me deciding to go or not. Still not sure if I can afford it, but I think my wife and I will be there.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I know a lot of people think it's a lame excuse, but the terrible October (weatherwise) is REALLY hurting our attendance. I would bet about 3,000-5,000 people attending an ISU game of 45,000 attendance or higher are directly involved with agriculture/actually farm. My dad and uncle were able to harvest 5 days in October. 5 ******* days. And that was pushing it in regards to crop moisture. Now that the weather is good, farmers absolutely have to go. They straight up CANT take off a day for a football game. It hurt attendance last week for sure (as did TV) and we need a rocking crowd for the boys on saturday.

People say that Iowa fans find a way to make it, and there are plenty of farmers who cheer for Iowa, and while this is true, hardly any of those farmers are alums, so they don't donate to the University nor do they make it a priority to get to as many games as possible.

Bottom line, this is a reality we're dealing with that a lot of other schools don't. I think there were quite a few people last week that said "to hell with going, it's on tv". I actually think no TV helps attendance.

Agree with everything above.

I believe once we start winning....the corners will start filling with wagon hoppers

Last edited by Palmer; 11-11-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    Carrying the banner for ISU.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

What time are the senior player introductions? 12:45?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Get out 'nd support 'em!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5

This.

I really, really should be going home this weekend to help my old man, but this my last game ever as a student so I'm staying in Ames. Any other time and I'd be at home for harvest or at work for harvest.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    No TV and being the last home game are huge factors in me deciding to go or not. Still not sure if I can afford it, but I think my wife and I will be there.
    We have 2 extra hill side season tix. You can have them for practically nothing, $20 total. And there has been plenty of room lately for people to leave the hillsides and sit in regular seats.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

Be there. Nuff said.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

Originally Posted by Al_4_State

This.

I really, really should be going home this weekend to help my old man, but this my last game ever as a student so I'm staying in Ames. Any other time and I'd be at home for harvest or at work for harvest.
    Me too. I want to get in some quality tailgating in the student lots for the last time.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I was reading a rather flattering article that had quotes in it from a CU player that has already played twice in Ames and he called it "a hostile environment" and went on to say that it is a "hard place to play".

I started thinking and realized that Colorado hasn't won in Ames since 2003 and that this makes the forth time in a row that they have played here for senior day. ISU has also won 3 of their 4 final home games since 2005.

For me, this spells a recipe for victory. The weather looks like it will be perfect. If your a Cyclone fan in Iowa, you should get your tickets and get to the game to watch the Cyclones become bowl eligible for the first time in 4 years. Let's not have another pathetic turnout like we did last week.
    Absolutely! Our seniors deserve a huge crowd to help them remember their last home game. This, and a big victory for bowl eligibility are well worth packing the JACK!!!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I fully respect that, people have to make a living and that is far more important than sports, this is why I'm not going to be there (that and it would cost me $500+ just to get there). However, what about the other 5-10 thousand that were frequenting the ISU games Chizik's first year? We averaged almost 50,000 fans that year and the only reason that the average wasn't more was because we had a awful team. Now we have a good team and no one shows? I know that the economy is down, but the economy wasn't great that year either.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think that game in Arrowhead helped to kill things for attendance as well, so another reason October was bad besides the weather. It has been a barbell season for home games-3 in Sep only one in Oct and two in Nov, and many no longer show up. There were 50,000 at the Nov 12, 2005 (tornado game) and ISU was 6-3, not much better record than this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

Everyone needs to get off the farmers and ag people backs right now, and start getting on the city people's backs? You live in the city around DM, Ankeny, Ames, and the rest of the state and midwest. What the hell is the reason your butts aren't in the seats?

I grew up on a farm and my dad is still going to the game and a 3 hour drive even though he has work to do in the fields and is def behind. He makes a turned city boy with only an hour and a half drive to the game from CF look like barely a Cyclone fan at all...Pack the Jack!

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!