Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Big 12 Bowl Picture

As everyone knows, right now there are ten teams in the Big 12 with a legitimate shot at becoming bowl eligible, with Colorado and Baylor probably on the outside looking in.

There are eight bowls with Big 12 tie-ins, and they select in this order:

1. BCS (Fiesta)
    2. Cotton
    3. Holiday
    4. Alamo
    5. Sun
    6. Insight
    7. Independence
    8. Texas

Texas is going to the National Championship Game barring an upset. They will probably be the only Big 12 team in the BCS.

Look for Oklahoma State to go to the Cotton Bowl if they beat Texas Tech this week. If Tech wins, it opens the door for them or maybe even Oklahoma.

Nebraska is probably headed for the Holiday Bowl as long as they win at least two of their final three games.

Next up are the Alamo and Sun Bowls. They will probably take the South teams that the Cotton Bowl passes on. I expect Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl and Texas Tech in the Sun Bowl.

Texas A&M plays at Oklahoma this week, then Baylor and Texas at home. Assuming they lose to the Sooners and Longhorns but beat Baylor, they probably go to the Texas Bowl to play Navy.

What we have, then, is four North teams (Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State) fighting for the Insight and Independence Bowls. As I've mentioned in other threads, a few things could happen this week that could really help our case.

Obviously we need to beat Colorado and that can't be overlooked, but it would REALLY help us if Missouri beats Kansas State. That would mean Kansas State would have to win the following week in Lincoln to become bowl eligible, which I think will be pretty tough for them to do. It would also help if Nebraska beats Kansas. With Texas coming up the following week, the Jayhawks would have to beat Missouri in Kansas City just to get to 6-6 with a 2-6 Big 12 record.

If those three games go our way next week, we could very well be looking at a scenario where the Iowa State-Missouri winner goes to the Insight Bowl and the loser goes to the Independence Bowl. That would be a GREAT position to be in.

But what if ISU beats CU and NU beats KU, but KSU beats MU? Then you can pretty much pencil Kansas State in for the Insight Bowl. ISU would be competing with MU and KU for the Independence Bowl. If MU beats ISU but loses to KU and all three teams are 6-6, ISU would have a decent case based on being 3-5 in the Big 12 rather than 2-6 like the other two, but we really can't be certain of that. We would have to convince them that ISU will bring a lot more fans.

If KU beats NU, it really presents an obstacle for us because KU would then be bowl eligible. Since we're taking about scenario's where ISU is 6-6, let's assume MU beats us in two weeks to become bowl eligible. Then the KU-MU winner would have 7 wins and go to the Independence Bowl. The loser and ISU would both be looking for at-large bids.

I know that's a lot to digest, but just remember two things:

1. BEAT COLORADO!!!! None of the other stuff really matters if we don't win this week unless we pull off an upset next week.

2. Root for Missouri over Kansas State and Nebraska over Kansas. Having at least one of those games go our way would really help and having them both go our way would be HUGE.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 120

Re: The Big 12 Bowl Picture

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post

1. BEAT COLORADO!!!! None of the other stuff really matters if we don't win this week unless we pull off an upset next week.
    2. BEAT MISSOURI!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    2. BEAT MISSOURI!!!!

Not a bad third post if I might say so.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    2. BEAT MISSOURI!!!!
    If that happens on top of a Cyclone victory over Colorado this week, it means that we go to the Insight Bowl or at worst the Independence Bowl. LET'S DO IT!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    As everyone knows, right now there are ten teams in the Big 12 with a legitimate shot at becoming bowl eligible, with Colorado and Baylor probably on the outside looking in.

There are eight bowls with Big 12 tie-ins, and they select in this order:

1. BCS (Fiesta)
    2. Cotton
    3. Holiday
    4. Alamo
    5. Sun
    6. Insight
    7. Independence
    8. Texas

Texas is going to the National Championship Game barring an upset. They will probably be the only Big 12 team in the BCS.

Look for Oklahoma State to go to the Cotton Bowl if they beat Texas Tech this week. If Tech wins, it opens the door for them or maybe even Oklahoma.

Nebraska is probably headed for the Holiday Bowl as long as they win at least two of their final three games.

Next up are the Alamo and Sun Bowls. They will probably take the South teams that the Cotton Bowl passes on. I expect Oklahoma in the Alamo Bowl and Texas Tech in the Sun Bowl.

Texas A&M plays at Oklahoma this week, then Baylor and Texas at home. Assuming they lose to the Sooners and Longhorns but beat Baylor, they probably go to the Texas Bowl to play Navy.

What we have, then, is four North teams (Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State) fighting for the Insight and Independence Bowls. As I've mentioned in other threads, a few things could happen this week that could really help our case.

Obviously we need to beat Colorado and that can't be overlooked, but it would REALLY help us if Missouri beats Kansas State. That would mean Kansas State would have to win the following week in Lincoln to become bowl eligible, which I think will be pretty tough for them to do. It would also help if Nebraska beats Kansas. With Texas coming up the following week, the Jayhawks would have to beat Missouri in Kansas City just to get to 6-6 with a 2-6 Big 12 record.

If those three games go our way next week, we could very well be looking at a scenario where the Iowa State-Missouri winner goes to the Insight Bowl and the loser goes to the Independence Bowl. That would be a GREAT position to be in.

But what if ISU beats CU and NU beats KU, but KSU beats MU? Then you can pretty much pencil Kansas State in for the Insight Bowl. ISU would be competing with MU and KU for the Independence Bowl. If MU beats ISU but loses to KU and all three teams are 6-6, ISU would have a decent case based on being 3-5 in the Big 12 rather than 2-6 like the other two, but we really can't be certain of that. We would have to convince them that ISU will bring a lot more fans.

If KU beats NU, it really presents an obstacle for us because KU would then be bowl eligible. Since we're taking about scenario's where ISU is 6-6, let's assume MU beats us in two weeks to become bowl eligible. Then the KU-MU winner would have 7 wins and go to the Independence Bowl. The loser and ISU would both be looking for at-large bids.

2. Root for Missouri over Kansas State and Nebraska over Kansas. Having at least one of those games go our way would really help and having them both go our way would be HUGE.
    Nice work. I agree 100%. For this week, we need ISU to win, MU to upset KSU in Manhattan, and NU to beat KU. That likely eliminates KSU from a bowl and makes it hard for KU to get to 6 wins. ISU and MU will split the Insight/Independence based on our game next week.

If KSU wins this weekend, ISU will need to win out just to get the Independence. Any other scenario and we are competing for an at large berth.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

But if KU beats NU this week and we win. There is still an oustide shot at a Big Twelve North three way tie with NU, K-State, and ISU. I know it's a long shot but it is there that the three of us could tie at 4-4 in conference.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I find it interesting the OU could still miss out on a bowl. They have A&M, Tech and OSU. I don't think with they way they've played this year any of those are automatic wins.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

I've been saying all along...cheer against the entire state of Kansas. Whether you take that into life as well (which I recommend you do, haha ), that is your prerogative. But in football, cheer against them.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 1,547

Quote Originally Posted by jberryma View Post
    But if KU beats NU this week and we win. There is still an oustide shot at a Big Twelve North three way tie with NU, K-State, and ISU. I know it's a long shot but it is there that the three of us could tie at 4-4 in conference.
    Correct me if I'm worng. In order for all three to end up at 4-4 the following would have to happen.

ISU
    Beat Colorado
    Beat Mizzou

KSU
    Lose to Mizzou
    Lose to NU

NU
    Lose to KU
    Beat KSU
    Lose to CU

I think the longest shot of those is CU beating NU, but that is a rivalry game at CU and stanger things have happened.

In that scenario, who would have the tie breaker? ISU beat NU, KSU beat ISU and NU would have to beat KSU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 175

I still think OSU gets a BCS bid if they finish out winning. Only 2 losses with one at the beginning of the season to a ranked team and the other to Texas.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

What a headscratcher. We get curb stomped by A&M. CU beats A&M. We stomp Baylor. Baylor beats Mizzou.

wtf. I'm nervous going into the final two after the way our D has been shredded the past two weeks and since our offense barely has a pulse as of late.

I'm hoping finishing the season with the two weakest teams on our Big12 slate will be a boost for us. Just find that early season rythm and win!!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I still think OSU gets a BCS bid if they finish out winning. Only 2 losses with one at the beginning of the season to a ranked team and the other to Texas.
    Just think if Georgia would have lived up to expectations. Then OkState would get a BCS bid pretty easily because they looked pretty good against them too.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by delt4cy View Post
    What a headscratcher. We get curb stomped by A&M. CU beats A&M. We stomp Baylor. Baylor beats Mizzou.

wtf. I'm nervous going into the final two after the way our D has been shredded the past two weeks and since our offense barely has a pulse as of late.

I'm hoping finishing the season with the two weakest teams on our Big12 slate will be a boost for us. Just find that early season rythm and win!!
    Texas A&M hit their high right at the moment we played them...poor timing on our part. Oklahoma State is most definitely the 2nd best in the south this year, and they played the part. I'm nervous just because it is ISU football, but really we have a good chance of winning both of these final two games, where I would think the last two were really long shots.

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 38

Hopefully we can take care of business against both Colorado and Missouri and not leave it up to the outcomes of other games.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Don't forget the importance of rooting against teams in other conferences as well. We need teams like Michigan & Florida St. to lose out, because that would most likely open up bids from other leagues. If Michigan & FSU get to 6-6, you can pretty much be guaranteed they'll get a bid just because of their fans. Georgia could potentially be on the outside looking in, but they just need to win one of their final 3 games, and I think they'll get Kentucky.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone