Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

HB Thread #1,293,333,439: Recruiting Question

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days and don't know the answer.
    GMAC's son and HB are likely friends since they play on the same basketball team, go to school together, both seem to be decent kids, etc. However, is HB barred from going over to GMAC's house by the NCAA? I find that to be a sticky situation. Not that I believe that GMAC would recruit inappropriately, but I'm sure some coaches would take advantage of the situation so I'm guessing there must be some sort of rule via the NCAA? All the same, it does kind of suck if there is one as far as a friendship aspect for the boys. Can't host a team meal @ GMAC's or anything I'm guessing. Anybody know?

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 51

Re: HB Thread #1,293,333,439: Recruiting Question

Good point. Surely, GMAC has probably had more contact with Harrison than most coaches are allowed, but there must be some sort of rule for this situation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm bumping this... I'm still curious.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I think it depends on when and how you meet the prospect. For example, if you meet them as your next door neighborhood 15 years ago and are a family friend then you can do things like attend birthday's, cookouts, new years things like that. But lets say you attend an AAU game 10 years when the recruit is going to pick his college and keep in contact with the recruit during that time, then contact may be limited.

Also, I am no expert, I just remember reading this i believe in my high school planner.

Walk On
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Only 1,293,333,439? Are you sure?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    I've been thinking about this the last couple of days and don't know the answer.
    GMAC's son and HB are likely friends since they play on the same basketball team, go to school together, both seem to be decent kids, etc. However, is HB barred from going over to GMAC's house by the NCAA? I find that to be a sticky situation. Not that I believe that GMAC would recruit inappropriately, but I'm sure some coaches would take advantage of the situation so I'm guessing there must be some sort of rule via the NCAA? All the same, it does kind of suck if there is one as far as a friendship aspect for the boys. Can't host a team meal @ GMAC's or anything I'm guessing. Anybody know?

McDermott was asked about this during a call-in show last year and he said that basically the NCAA allows him to act like any other parent. The example he gave is that he is allowed to go out for pizza with the team if there are other parents there (don't quote me on the exact situation, but that is the general idea).

I have heard though that the coaches in the Barnes competition have watched McDermott like a hawk making sure he has done nothing wrong.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 15

I'm not too sure what to think about all of that either. GMAC's son will be going to UNI. I still wonder what that was all about.

Addict
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,318
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 951
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    I think it depends on when and how you meet the prospect. For example, if you meet them as your next door neighborhood 15 years ago and are a family friend then you can do things like attend birthday's, cookouts, new years things like that. But lets say you attend an AAU game 10 years when the recruit is going to pick his college and keep in contact with the recruit during that time, then contact may be limited.

Also, I am no expert, I just remember reading this i believe in my high school planner.
    Your high school planner has the NCAA recruiting rules and regulations regarding the situation of if a college coach has a high school son that plays on the same team and is friends with a highly regarded recruit?

Wow, that's a VERY specific planner. I was glad mine just had a metric conversion chart in it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Your high school planner has the NCAA recruiting rules and regulations regarding the situation of if a college coach has a high school son that plays on the same team and is friends with a highly regarded recruit?

Wow, that's a VERY specific planner. I was glad mine just had a metric conversion chart in it.
    They had NCAA requirements and some of the major rules in it. They also had the schools policy and that stuff in it, which was half the planner.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    McDermott was asked about this during a call-in show last year and he said that basically the NCAA allows him to act like any other parent. The example he gave is that he is allowed to go out for pizza with the team if there are other parents there (don't quote me on the exact situation, but that is the general idea).

I have heard though that the coaches in the Barnes competition have watched McDermott like a hawk making sure he has done nothing wrong.
    I had a couple conversations with Harrison's Mom, and she has said for years that she knows the rules, and she was making sure that every one of the coaches was following them. This was back before visits were allowed, when Harrison was a sophomore.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's good to hear. I'm glad the NCAA has some whits about it that it doesn't limit GMAC's role as a parent, but it also doesn't allow a "hometown coach" to run wild.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post

Are you asking me to believe that the other schools in the running have hired private investigators to follow McDermott's actions? Please!

It is my understanding that the recruiting "rules" have something to do with whether or not a relationship existed prior to the recruiting process began. LSU had a similar situation several years ago when they were recruiting Tasmin Mitchell and one of the LSU assistant coaches (Butch Pierre) happened to be his godfather. Of course this line is certainly becoming increasingly blurred because of recruiting starting at earlier and earlier ages.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

st8

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone Brian View Post
    I'm not too sure what to think about all of that either. GMAC's son will be going to UNI. I still wonder what that was all about.
    you're wondering why GMAC's son is not coming to ISU? I think GMAC thinks he can get better talent then his kid, a totally unselfish move on his part. Unlike other coaches in the state (caugh... lickliter caugh...) who bring on their kid just becuase they are their kid.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by st8 View Post
    you're wondering why GMAC's son is not coming to ISU? I think GMAC thinks he can get better talent then his kid, a totally unselfish move on his part. Unlike other coaches in the state (caugh... lickliter caugh...) who bring on their kid just becuase they are their kid.

Also, how's the whole father/son thing working out for the Hawkins family? I think it's in everyone's best interest for the son of a coach to not play for his father.

Now as for his father's alma mater (cough, Harrison, cough) that's a different story all together!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 98

The NCAA allows a parent to be a parent. Mac has been at different events watching his son play that other coaches cannot go to.