Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclone reputation as fans that travel

I was just talking to a buddy about our chances at a bowl game if we finish 6-6 and where we might go. He made the point that I have heard (and believed) many times, and that is that a bowl would certainly take the Cyclones because of our reputation of 'travelling in big numbers to support our team'. How accurate is this claim in reality? To play devil's advocate:

1. How can we be such a supportive travelling fan base when we have trouble filling our own stadium for big games

2. From all the reports I saw, we didn't travel for **** to KC for the K-State game

Thus, how can anyone make the argument that we would travel in force to a lower-tier bowl game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: Cyclone reputation as fans that travel

Maybe not so much a "travel" thing, as we have a lot of alumni in prime bowl locations--Arizona, Texas (Houston mainly), Florida, California. And it's easier for people to travel to a bowl game that's during traditional school breaks than for a weekend "home" game, not to mention people were still probably bitter about losing a home game at JTS.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 1,049

A lot of the reputation, I think, is based on the number of ISU fans who went to the Insight bowl in 2000. ISU's first bowl in 20 years and it was a sea of red with one corner of Pitt fans. The turnout was also pretty good for the Independence bowl. Boise attendance was bad, but that is the worst bowl in the country in my opinion, and they were playing against Boise, at Boise. I don't think the Houston turnout was great, but there was dissapointment over blowing the North title.

Overall, for the history and record of ISU football, our fans show up quite well. After a few years of not making bowls and generally sucking it up, a bowl season in CPRs first year should be able to draw more than the standard ticket allotment for most bowl games.

You also need to compare ISU to the other possible 6-6 teams. Some of those teams are having down years, and wouldn't travel well at all because of that. Some of them are non-BCS teams that don't have large fan bases to begin with. Of the possible BCS conference teams that could end up 6-6, I think ISU would rank as one of the best travelling. At 7-5, it would depend on the matchup for a Big12 bowl. I think bowls usually want at least one team that will draw a national audience and have at least one of the teams travel well. ISU does not have the national following, so it would depend who the matchup is in a Big12 bowl.

Last edited by cyhiphopp; 11-10-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would say we travel well comparatively. By that I mean look at other places like Kansas that have awful attendance regularly. We may not fill every seat every time but looking at the product on the field the past few years compared to our attendance is pretty good I would say.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

we had 20,000 + at arrowhead. Most bowls that we would be up for would think that is a good turn out.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post
    we had 20,000 + at arrowhead. Most bowls that we would be up for would think that is a good turn out.
    Agreed. That turnout was not great, but any bowl scout would think it is outstanding.

Add to it the annual turnout of ISU fans at the Big 12 MBB and WBB tournaments and the turnout against FSU in Arrowhead, and ISU's travel reputation is well established -- and well deserved.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    I was just talking to a buddy about our chances at a bowl game if we finish 6-6 and where we might go. He made the point that I have heard (and believed) many times, and that is that a bowl would certainly take the Cyclones because of our reputation of 'travelling in big numbers to support our team'. How accurate is this claim in reality? To play devil's advocate:

1. How can we be such a supportive travelling fan base when we have trouble filling our own stadium for big games

2. From all the reports I saw, we didn't travel for **** to KC for the K-State game

Thus, how can anyone make the argument that we would travel in force to a lower-tier bowl game?
    We have a strong group of core fans(20-30K). Fans that are dedicated to the program. Couple that with a large amount of alumni in the Houston and Arizona are and you get a good turn out for the bowls. Now throw in the choice to be in Iowa or somewhere moderatley warm over the holidays when people are traveling anyway and you have even more people that would head South. Kansas City wa stough for some. That is a low travel time of the year as many families take family vacations in August and then travel on Labor Day. Not so much in December. Families are traveling anyway so why not redirect and head somewhere warm.

Last edited by tazclone; 11-10-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

One thing that ticks me off about bowl games and traveling is that its easy to get fans to go to a nice bowl, but hard to go to a lower bowl.

Do you think Iowa would bring 35,000 fans to the Motor City Bowl if they were 6-6 and just lost their last 3 games? Probably not.
    How many fans do you think ISU would bring if we were in the Fiesta Bowl?
    Probably more than the Blue turf Bowl right?

This whole thing is stupid anyway.
    Try putting this philosphy in Basketball NCAA Tournament terms.

SELECTION SUNDAY ANNOUNCING THE BRACKETS:
    And in the South Region, Thursday Game in Dallas....The Sooners of the University Of Oklahoma @ 18-15 (8-8) gets the #2 seed will play Tennessee Chat #15.
    "The committee thought that since the Game was in Dallas and Oklahoma's fans travel so well they would be the best fit for the #2 seed in the South. They will bring great TV ratings and money to the Dallas area. We felt they were more deserving of the #2 Seed over 25-6 Baylor, 26-3 Purdue, etc... etc.."
    This is why football's bowl system is so stupid. IMO of course :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post

Your rite on greeny...any lower tier bowl at least those in their right mind....Would be absolutely thrilled to see 20K Ia State fans show up at their bowl game.

Regardless of if they traveled from Iowa or from around the corner...

money spends and bs walks as they say!!!!!

and remember BUY FOOTBALL TICKETS TO THE COLORADO GAME!!!

and dont be a wimp...SHOW UP AT THE GAME AND CHEER THE CLONES ON TO OUR 6TH WIN OF '09!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 60

If I were a bowl I would be more inclined to look at a team that exceeded fan expectations such ISU or KSU versus teams that performed poorer than expected such as Kansas and Missouri. I think ISU would draw well for any of the TX based bowls.

Last edited by intrepid27; 11-10-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: speling

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IOWASTATE View Post
    I would say we travel well comparatively. By that I mean look at other places like Kansas that have awful attendance regularly. We may not fill every seat every time but looking at the product on the field the past few years compared to our attendance is pretty good I would say.
    This is the key -- don't just look at our attendance, look at it in context of our team.

The last two years we outdrew Kansas when we were going 5-19 and they were playing for BCS bowls. if you're a bowl chairman, which of those teams do you want?

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

Its all about location, location, location... that simple

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post

We travelled VERY well to the Insight.com Bowl in Phoenix for our first bowl win in history. Matter of fact, our opponent, Pitt, barely showed up. Wefilled the freaking stadium with red.

Early commit - fall 2024

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 294

I've been to them all except boise and I've been impressed with the turnouts to all the bowls. TCU is in Texas and they didn't have that many more fans than us.

Walk On
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think that if we have six wins we are going to a bowl game guaranteed. The guys running these bowls do their research. They want to make money and as we have seen time and again they are more worried about money then which team they pick. every year there is a team that gets left out of a bowl because of a team that travels better adn therefore brigns in more money.