Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 224,466, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,053
    Points
    224,466
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 296

    Gilstrap question

    I know I've heard bits and pieces why Gilstrap might not get another year, but can someone give me the reasoning why he should NOT be allowed another year? I've heard basically he had an injury that kept him out for two basketball seasons.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 97,263, Level: 97
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,787
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,673
    Points
    97,263
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 14

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I know I've heard bits and pieces why Gilstrap might not get another year, but can someone give me the reasoning why he should NOT be allowed another year? I've heard basically he had an injury that kept him out for two basketball seasons.

    The rule is stupid. I get the idea that they don't want really old players to get a year, but Gilstrap isn't that old and he has only played basketball in a college setting for 1.5 years. There is no reason why he shouldn't get another year, but we don't own the NCAA like others do.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 277,115, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,472
    Points
    277,115
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 12

    Re: Gilstrap question

    I'm pretty sure its because he quit basketball on his own, at least thats what I remember hearing.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,437, Level: 95
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    94,437
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I know I've heard bits and pieces why Gilstrap might not get another year, but can someone give me the reasoning why he should NOT be allowed another year? I've heard basically he had an injury that kept him out for two basketball seasons.
    Yes...normally it takes the same number of injuries as missed years for the NCAA to allow you to play.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 252,770, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,503
    Points
    252,770
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap question

    The rule is 5 years to play 4 seasons from the moment your eligibility starts. This is the 5th year since he originally started JC.




  6. #6
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 224,466, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,053
    Points
    224,466
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 296

    Re: Gilstrap question

    So are they following a rule just because it's a rule and not actually taking his situation into account?


    @RandomGeoFacts

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 145,329, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,688
    Points
    145,329
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    The rule is stupid. I get the idea that they don't want really old players to get a year, but Gilstrap isn't that old and he has only played basketball in a college setting for 1.5 years. There is no reason why he shouldn't get another year, but we don't own the NCAA like others do.

    Had he stayed in school and rehabbed the injury then he would have no problem getting the 6th year. The fact that he quit school makes it very doubtful in my opinion.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 84,130, Level: 90
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,077
    Points
    84,130
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    So are they following a rule just because it's a rule and not actually taking his situation into account?
    Meet Lucca Staiger.




  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 126,679, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,359
    Points
    126,679
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 41

    Re: Gilstrap question

    I believe he quit school entirely for a year or two. That's the big sticking point I believe.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 334,809, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,728
    Points
    334,809
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

    Re: Gilstrap question

    It is also my understanding, the appeal process can't even start until this season has finished.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 17,294, Level: 40
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 756
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,161
    Points
    17,294
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap question

    I don't think a player can appeal for a 6th year until after they have completed their 5th year.

    I'm pretty sure that the NCAA has restricted the 6th year to those players who have missed 2 years with medical hardship. If so, the 2 years that Gilstrap sat out would have to be retroactively reclassified as medical hardship.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 106,993, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,054
    Points
    106,993
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 57

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    I don't think a player can appeal for a 6th year until after they have completed their 5th year.

    I'm pretty sure that the NCAA has restricted the 6th year to those players who have missed 2 years with medical hardship. If so, the 2 years that Gilstrap sat out would have to be retroactively reclassified as medical hardship.
    Exactly. Jordan Shipley - Texas.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 15,182, Level: 37
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    724
    Points
    15,182
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    It is also my understanding, the appeal process can't even start until this season has finished.
    I think you are correct here which means we will have to wait until at least April 6th to appeal it since we'll be playing for a national championship on April 5th



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Had he stayed in school and rehabbed the injury then he would have no problem getting the 6th year. The fact that he quit school makes it very doubtful in my opinion.
    BINGO...this is the big issue. The NCAA will not do anything that is going to lead to kids thinking they can drop out of school after they get hurt and then jump back in.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 97,263, Level: 97
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,787
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,673
    Points
    97,263
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 14

    Re: Gilstrap question

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    BINGO...this is the big issue. The NCAA will not do anything that is going to lead to kids thinking they can drop out of school after they get hurt and then jump back in.

    I guess I don't see why this would be a huge deal. He broke a leg or something. Possibly didn't know if he could play again. He went to find a job. He decided to come back. it's not like he isn't in school or hasn't been in school.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM