Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Fans complaining about standing up at games

Found out last night its just not ISU games this happens at. Went to watch a game at the HS girls state tournament last night and some fans from the school that played the next game came in about half time and sat in the last row behind the school currently playing. Well the folks in front of us stood for a lot of the game and this older lady starts yelling at them to sit down when the 2nd half started. Lucky for her some other guy beat me to it as I was already in a bad mood and told her that her school wasn't even playing and they had the right to stand and cheer for their school so if she didn't like it she could find another seat. The lady yelled some more stupid things at him but eventually shut up when they compromised by sitting down part of the time just to shut her up.

I wasn't a fan of either school playing so I cared less about it and you have to expect people to be standing for games like that so she's lucky she didn't say another word as I was irked enough that I was ready to get into an arguement and put her in her place.

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Re: Fans complaining about standing up at games

I can't stand people like that. I want to stand, and I don't want to be harrassed or feel guilty about blocking someone's view.

Sitting is what time outs are for.

"The Lord wants you to put your foot on their balls and believe in it." ---Coach Wayne Hisler

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,343
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
    I can't stand people like that. I want to stand, and I don't want to be harrassed or feel guilty about blocking someone's view.

Sitting is what time outs are for.
    I'd say it definately depends. I personally would never complain, but I think there are some time where some people can justify it. If there are one or two people standing during a meaningless portion of the game, I see no problem with politely asking them if they could sit down. I wouldn't, but some people just can't physically stand all game.

It's rude when someone just starts yelling at someone to sit down. And at a high school tournament game, those fans stand the whole game near the court, so there is no reason to ask them to sit down. Especially a fan of a team not playing doing that. I also think the student sections have a right/obligation to stand all game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

It's rude when someone just starts yelling at someone to sit down. And at a high school tournament game, those fans stand the whole game near the court, so there is no reason to ask them to sit down. Especially a fan of a team not playing doing that. I also think the student sections have a right/obligation to stand all game.

yeah, some people just dont get it. if your sitting down, then chances are that your not doing your part trying to cheer your team on. your at maybe 60-70% "into the game." if your standing , then chances are that your at probably 90-110% "into the game." think of who you would rather be playing for, a crowd sitting down, clapping once in a while? or the raucous crowd that is up and screaming, chanting? just m .02$ worth.
    gotta go, time to pace my living room for the better part of the afternoon! GO CLONES!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 23

pet peeve of mine as well

I had an older couple yelling at me to sit down for the entire Missouri football game this year.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

benjay: love the avatar! prolly one of the best movies ever!

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    pet peeve of mine as well

I had an older couple yelling at me to sit down for the entire Missouri football game this year.
    It is not all old people. I know plenty of older people who stand as much as their feeble old body will let them. But the oldies who sit the whole game and tell others to sit as well should not be sitting in the parquet. If you cant see because you are down low and people are standing supporting the team, then get your @ss up to the first row of the balcony where people won't be standing in front of you!

--Luck of the Cyrish--

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

My only problem with standing is when it's the "incomprehensibly drunk guy with elbows swinging at my wife's and my face." I can't physically stand the entire game, but I will work out a solution with the people in front of me so we can see the game. I do this before the game begins so we can both enjoy our time, cheering on the Cyclones.

Even though I can't stand the ENTIRE game, I wear my broken down *** out standing as much as I can!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Even though I can't stand the ENTIRE game, I wear my broken down *** out standing as much as I can!

thats all anyone can ask! thanks;)

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    My only problem with standing is when it's the "incomprehensibly drunk guy with elbows swinging at my wife's and my face." I can't physically stand the entire game, but I will work out a solution with the people in front of me so we can see the game. I do this before the game begins so we can both enjoy our time, cheering on the Cyclones.

Just out of curiosity, are you one of those people that comprimise or would be willing to switch seats with those standing directly in front of you? It just seems like it's only a problem when it's the people standing the row in front of you that I get a response. If they were to ask me if I'd move back a row or two so I'd be able to stand, I'd do it as long as I wouldn't continually get moved back to the end of the section.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,343
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

Another thought is when people are just standing doing nothing. I've seen that being the case as well. Someone stands up to cheer and then stays standing while just watching the game and not cheering. That is probably a point where it is appropriate to ask someone to sit if there are only a few standing and not actively cheering.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Be as courteous as you can be. If you like to stand, I would try to find a section where that is the norm and people share your enthusiasm. Other wise try to be a good neighbor and represent your school / team with dignity by respecting other people around you. I enjoy standing when appropriate, but I have always felt that you should take your seat to help the people behind you see.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I remember something similar happening in high school. We were playing in boy's substate at Maquoketa High School. Our fans filled the allotted section given to us and then overflowed to the other side of the court. The older people behind us were yelling at us to sit down. I know that because they were older they needed to sit down, but they shouldn't have sat behind the student section.

TRUE & VALIANT

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Found out last night its just not ISU games this happens at. Went to watch a game at the HS girls state tournament last night and some fans from the school that played the next game came in about half time and sat in the last row behind the school currently playing. Well the folks in front of us stood for a lot of the game and this older lady starts yelling at them to sit down when the 2nd half started. Lucky for her some other guy beat me to it as I was already in a bad mood and told her that her school wasn't even playing and they had the right to stand and cheer for their school so if she didn't like it she could find another seat. The lady yelled some more stupid things at him but eventually shut up when they compromised by sitting down part of the time just to shut her up.

I wasn't a fan of either school playing so I cared less about it and you have to expect people to be standing for games like that so she's lucky she didn't say another word as I was irked enough that I was ready to get into an arguement and put her in her place.
    Were they related to Callahan's Hillbillies?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 6

I am fairly young yet and like to stand and watch the games. I sit in pretty good seats (at JT) and a lot of the crowd around me is older. It really is pretty simple to get along with these people that dont like to stand. When people in front of me stand up and I cant see, I stand up. When everyone is sitting, I sit. If the older group complains when I am standing I say politely, "I need to stand to see, everybody in front of me is standing".

Or option 2 is when i have had a 12 of bud before the game, "Shut up you old hag and keep your piehole closed before I stick my foot in it!" also works quite well but expect ushers to surround you within the next few minutes.