Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 351

Why do football players make so many

stupid mistakes at the worst times. Not just Iowa State player but all players. Like hitting in the back on a kick return or punt return. Everyone knows you can't get away with it yet somebody always does it. Seems like every game. Bailey Johnson made a horrible horse collar tackle on the QB when we had stopped them on 3rd down and it was totally worthless to even tackle him at that point. It cost us a punt return and they ended up scoring a Touchdown I beleive. I just don't understand stupid penalty's. I understand jumping offsides sometimes if you forget the snap count.
    I understand trying to get away with holding, although that drives me nuts as well.
    It's just the stupid one that really really **** me off.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

Re: Why do football players make so many

One thing that has always amazed me is the speed of the game when viewed from up close. The closing speed of players going for the tackle is almost indescribable. What I'm getting at is that a horse collar or face mask or a block in the back is something that I think just happens because of the instantaneous decisions that a player has to make at full speed. I'm not wording this very well but just say "speed of the game" causes a lot of unintentional stuff to happen.
    Hopefully some former players will weigh in on this.

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 536
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_w View Post
    One thing that has always amazed me is the speed of the game when viewed from up close. The closing speed of players going for the tackle is almost indescribable. What I'm getting at is that a horse collar or face mask or a block in the back is something that I think just happens because of the instantaneous decisions that a player has to make at full speed. I'm not wording this very well but just say "speed of the game" causes a lot of unintentional stuff to happen.
    Agree. I was on the sideline at a game once and it is incredible how much faster it is when you get that close. I think in a lot of cases, players have to make a decision whether to make a play or not and they don't have time to analysis where they will hit them or where they will grab or whatever. They are playing on insticts and that is why I hate some of the new rules in the game. This is football, tackle football. I think the horsecollar is a stupid rule. I think QBs are given way too many calls, especiallyu when they escape the pocket and get knocked out of bounds and then someone gets called for a late hit. If the QB escapes, they are the same as anyone else. I know BJ did commit a penalty, and I don't hate the call, it's the rule. How many people have been seriously hurt by a horse collar? Now how many have been hurt by getting hit low and blowing a knee. Are we going to say you can only hit above the waist next?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 807
    Given: 783

I think sometimes when you're going 100% you just play and **** happens.

@RandomGeoFacts

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 351

I know the speed. However Someone like Bailey has done some stupid stuff in the past. Like being a nose tackle and jumping offsides. It's usually 2 to 3 guys per team that do it all the time.
    I like Johnson. Probably a good guy. However if you keep making these stupid mistakes and costing your team a chance then you not only not doing your job. Your costing your team a chance to win.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 173

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I think sometimes when you're going 100% you just play and **** happens.
    As a former college (D3) player and now HS Fball coach, this is true.
    For some guys the game slows down and those mistakes go away, for others, it doesn't.
    I think Leonard Johnson is a good example of that this year.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Agree. I was on the sideline at a game once and it is incredible how much faster it is when you get that close. I think in a lot of cases, players have to make a decision whether to make a play or not and they don't have time to analysis where they will hit them or where they will grab or whatever. They are playing on insticts and that is why I hate some of the new rules in the game. This is football, tackle football. I think the horsecollar is a stupid rule. I think QBs are given way too many calls, especiallyu when they escape the pocket and get knocked out of bounds and then someone gets called for a late hit. If the QB escapes, they are the same as anyone else. I know BJ did commit a penalty, and I don't hate the call, it's the rule. How many people have been seriously hurt by a horse collar? Now how many have been hurt by getting hit low and blowing a knee. Are we going to say you can only hit above the waist next?
    I think it is more the severity of the injury as to why they have the horse collar. If you do get hurt with this type of tackle it becomes a season/career ending.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    stupid mistakes at the worst times. Not just Iowa State player but all players. Like hitting in the back on a kick return or punt return. Everyone knows you can't get away with it yet somebody always does it. Seems like every game. Bailey Johnson made a horrible horse collar tackle on the QB when we had stopped them on 3rd down and it was totally worthless to even tackle him at that point. It cost us a punt return and they ended up scoring a Touchdown I beleive. I just don't understand stupid penalty's. I understand jumping offsides sometimes if you forget the snap count.
    I understand trying to get away with holding, although that drives me nuts as well.
    It's just the stupid one that really really **** me off.
    I really think they do it too **** the fans off. That way we would have something to argue about on a message. I find it as a clever way to divert our attention from Barnes and more important things

Last edited by bellzisu; 11-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_w View Post
    Exactly, no one goes in saying, "I'm going to hit this guy in the back or grab his facemask." It's usually something that happens when you are trying to make a play.
    Most of it does happen because you were out of position on the play or you weren't anticipating speed well enough. Especially blocks in the back. Usually a guy is gearing up to block and misjudges the speed, whammo, before he realizes, yet, after he's committed to his move, the play has already happened. One of the biggest parts of being a great football player, that people don't realize, is the speed and the ability to anticipate. To see what's happening and know where you need to be at the point of impact. I love the phrase, "I could have run through that hole." because it's rarely true. If the running back is running at the hole when he gets the ball, more than likely, he is going to be tackled at the LoS. He needs to be running to where he thinks the whole will be. Or better yet, where he is seeing the hole develop at the LoS. This is what announcers mean when they say "Great Vision" Players with great vision rarely commit any penalties. It puts them in a good position to make plays.

None the less, yes, things happen so fast on the field, that what looks stupid to you and I. Is usually more a factor of not being in the right spot rather than consciously thinking of committing a penalty.

Last edited by Clonefan94; 11-09-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 61

This is easy, when you're going full speed and you're fighting to make a tackle, make a block, etc its easy to commit a penalty because everything is happening so fast. And that is just the unintentional penalties. Pushing, holding, etc are part of the game that you can get away whether its on the offensive or defensive side of the ball if it isn't blatant. As they say, if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying.

Addict
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,463
    Given: 79

I blame a lot of blocks in the back on today's attitude in the game. Everyone wants to make that "big hit" (still love Michael Wagner) instead of sound fundamentals. On kicks they lower they're head to lay the wood, and momentarily lose sight of the player. Kicks plays are very fast plays, and if you take your eyes off a guy for just a split second, he's already changed the positioning of his body, causing a potential block in the back.

Pair that with the fact that most of these guys are RBs, WRs, or DBs (people who aren't usually trained extensively on blocking technique) and you have a large potential for a flag.