Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 280

Factoring in the Tight Ends

Was anyone else hoping to see the tight ends factored a bit more in the passing game this year? I feel like Franklin and Catlett can be one of the better pair of tight ends in the Big 12. I even thought they got off to a good start on Saturday only to not be heard of again (that may be said of the whole offense...).

Obviously, Herman runs the "spread", but that shouldn't mean that you take away the advantages that you already have just to put more WRs on the field.

Am I off base in thinking that the TEs should catch more balls? I guess you can put me in the group of people that thinks you should throw the ball to the 6'7" guys or the big targets.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: Factoring in the Tight Ends

Quote Originally Posted by JBone84 View Post
    Was anyone else hoping to see the tight ends factored a bit more in the passing game this year?
    Yes.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

After ISU had some early success passing to the TE. OSU started bringing more blitz pressure which forces the TE into pass protection. OSU was dominating our offensive line and as a result we needed the TE and RB to help in pass protection.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    After ISU had some early success passing to the TE. OSU started bringing more blitz pressure which forces the TE into pass protection. OSU was dominating our offensive line and as a result we needed the TE and RB to help in pass protection.
    This..We needed to protect the quarterback with the tight ends because OSU was putting so much pressure on. It's too bad we couldn't have gotten more passes off to our regular receivers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that our line was dominated (both sides of the ball) and that makes success in any facet of the game a lot more difficult. However, I would sure like to see that TE in blocking and then leaking out for 5-7 yard routes once the LBs start filling the gaps hard.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I know that TH knows how to utilize a TE. I'm pretty sure the leading receiver on his last Rice team was a TE.

If we aren't throwing to our TE it has less to do with our offensive coordinator, and more to do with the strengths and weaknesses of our current players.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JBone84 View Post
    Was anyone else hoping to see the tight ends factored a bit more in the passing game this year? I feel like Franklin and Catlett can be one of the better pair of tight ends in the Big 12. I even thought they got off to a good start on Saturday only to not be heard of again (that may be said of the whole offense...).

Obviously, Herman runs the "spread", but that shouldn't mean that you take away the advantages that you already have just to put more WRs on the field.

Am I off base in thinking that the TEs should catch more balls? I guess you can put me in the group of people that thinks you should throw the ball to the 6'7" guys or the big targets.

Absolutely! Franklin and Catlett are a very solid pair, and Colin Franklin was ready to have a breakout season, but he rarely gets the ball and doesn't play as much as Catlett.

Honestly, besides A-Rob and the OL, pretty much the rest of this offense has really been a disappointment to me. There have been some surprise receivers emerging, but this offense isn't quite what I was expecting going in, and Austen has not performed up to his capabilities. I really thought there would be more formations, we would run a try no-huddle offense (like OSU did when our defense wasn't ready they ran up and hiked the ball, multiple times), and we would throw the ball over the middle and downfield more (instead of mostly out routes and quick slants). Hopefully this is just first year growing pains, and we will see better results next season.

Going to a bowl game would not only be big for the obvious reason being its been a few years and we would have surpassed the combined win total from our previous coach, but more importantly, those bowl practices would be huge for the entire team of continuing to develop and maybe try some players out in new positions.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 339

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    Absolutely! Franklin and Catlett are a very solid pair, and Colin Franklin was ready to have a breakout season, but he rarely gets the ball and doesn't play as much as Catlett.

Honestly, besides A-Rob and the OL, pretty much the rest of this offense has really been a disappointment to me. There have been some surprise receivers emerging, but this offense isn't quite what I was expecting going in, and Austen has not performed up to his capabilities. I really thought there would be more formations, we would run a try no-huddle offense (like OSU did when our defense wasn't ready they ran up and hiked the ball, multiple times), and we would throw the ball over the middle and downfield more (instead of mostly out routes and quick slants). Hopefully this is just first year growing pains, and we will see better results next season.

Going to a bowl game would not only be big for the obvious reason being its been a few years and we would have surpassed the combined win total from our previous coach, but more importantly, those bowl practices would be huge for the entire team of continuing to develop and maybe try some players out in new positions.

How could you be disappointed in the rest of the WRs when they have never produced in their career previously? Losing Money was huge. He was our ONE playmaker. The loss of RJ last year is killing our ability to throw the ball.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    How could you be disappointed in the rest of the WRs when they have never produced in their career previously? Losing Money was huge. He was our ONE playmaker. The loss of RJ last year is killing our ability to throw the ball.
    I agree with your assessment of not being disappointed with the rest of our WRs given their production; but wow, can you be more hypocritical about Money? It's like saying Bo Williams is our ONE playmaker (or pick any other player who barely has seen the field and label them our one playmaker). Money had a total of 17 catches for a whooping 72 yards and a long of 18yrds with 0 TDs in his first 3 games. That's not playmaker numbers by a long shot. He may have the tools, the jury's still out, but like most of the hype surrounding some of our players, the production just hasn't been there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 9

People, bringing the house is not a reason to not throw to the tight end. If the tight end throws a chip block and then runs a 5 yard out where the wide out has just vacated, it is wide open. The joy of it is that it is an easy throw. All the QB has to do is shot putt the ball over the onrushing DE and be willing to take a hit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe a TE screen, they were all over the screen to A-Rob.

Last edited by Bigguns; 11-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    People, bringing the house is not a reason to not throw to the tight end. If the tight end throws a chip block and then runs a 5 yard out where the wide out has just vacated, it is wide open. The joy of it is that it is an easy throw. All the QB has to do is shot putt the ball over the onrushing DE and be willing to take a hit.
    That's the point I was trying to make, only you made it better.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Totally agree here.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

When your quarterback's hand isn't 100%, do you really want him taking hits? Austen didn't run nearly as much as normal and I assumed that was by design so he didn't get hit again.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    I said there have been some receivers who have emerged as solid players (Williams, Lenz), but the fact of the matter is the offense hasn't racked up the yards, and more importantly the points, like most of us were expecting coming into the season. I'm not as down on the players as I am with the passing game play calls, and clearly Austen has struggled with his 3rd new offense and injuries. Are we stacked with all-conference skill players? At this point, no. Are they capable of being competitive? In my opinion, yes. I would like to see a lot more passes down the seam and crossing patterns over the middle. Also, where is the misdirection and diversification? Is the fake handoff to Arob really the only play we have that will freeze the defenders?

Just some of my thoughts. Again, I am not faulting the players for their effort at all. Good to see Marquis proving his abilities after being screwed last season. Jake Williams has really gained my respect, and Lenz looks to be a great 4-year contributor. Arob has really developed into a good RB, with the help of a good OL unit. Darks may be getting back to full speed, and Catlett/Franklin continue to be solid when thrown to. I was expecting more of Sed and Austen, but I understand injuries and playbook learning curves can be tough to deal with. My main point is I think Herman could do a better job of diversifying the offense and making the defense prepare for and defend a multitude of formations and plays...