Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 1,208

OSU/ISU - the talent gap

OK, I think everyone knows that the Clones aren't near where they need to be in order to be Big 12 contenders but with that being said, is anyone else alarmed by the SIGNIFICANT talent gap between OSU and us?

I know OSU's recruiting has really picked up the past several seasons but the part that concerns me the most is that the OSU players could run circles around ours and beat us so significantly but then even they are never really able to compete with UT/OU and that's a bit depressing.

How are northern teams ever supposed to compete with the South anymore? Todays game is about speed and open space which puts ALL northern teams at a huge disadvantage.

Can we just stop playing the south teams

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 9

Re: OSU/ISU - the talent gap

Nebraska beat OU. Our players are good enough, we don't have a lot of depth and we are just banged up. I see great things for this team. I'll take heart and motivation over anything else...

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

I think your forgetting that OSU has a lot of Seniors on that team and it showed yeserday. It was obvious they've been playing together for a long time.

We know our defensive unit is slow and it showed yesterday, but in their defense they were on the field way too long. Our offense needed to be more productive.

I thought their D Line pressured us more then any other unit we've played all year. They were better then Nebraska in my opinion.

I wouldn't get too discouraged. We're getting recruits with speed. We'll show better in the future.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 112

I will agree that we don't stack up with those south schools talent-wise, but we shouldn't expect a loss every time we play a school from Texas or OK. It wasn't too long ago that OK St. was at the bottom of the Big 12 and it has taken Gundy 8 years to build that program to where it is now. It takes time, patience and T. Boone Pickens to make OK St. what they are now. Gundy has never beaten Texas or Oklahoma, but he has put together a top-25 team that can compete with the rest of the Big 12. I think from a conference perspective we need to build a team that can win in the North, which I think we have currently and are taking positive steps to continue to do that right now. Build off that foundation and then start focusing on taking down the South schools.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    OK, I think everyone knows that the Clones aren't near where they need to be in order to be Big 12 contenders but with that being said, is anyone else alarmed by the SIGNIFICANT talent gap between OSU and us?

I know OSU's recruiting has really picked up the past several seasons but the part that concerns me the most is that the OSU players could run circles around ours and beat us so significantly but then even they are never really able to compete with UT/OU and that's a bit depressing.

How are northern teams ever supposed to compete with the South anymore? Todays game is about speed and open space which puts ALL northern teams at a huge disadvantage.

Can we just stop playing the south teams
    Not alarmed but we do have issues. Mac couldn't sustain any recruiting success and when Chizhead took over we were already in a deep talent deficit. Chizforbrains brought in a few athletes but with his brief stint it put us even further in the talent hole as far as recruiting consistency. It will take CPR more than a few classes to even start to bridge the gap and just like our bball program, 3, 4 and 5 year kids in the system will do wonders for our on-field success. I honestly never expect to compete with the UTs and OUs on a year-in, year-out basis, but we can be extremely competitive in the North is we can keep our coaching staff together for a while.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 378

We're NEVER going to have the talent of Texas or OU. We're going to struggle to be in the same league as Nebraska, OSU, A&M, etc

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,524

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    Not alarmed but we do have issues. Mac couldn't sustain any recruiting success and when Chizhead took over we were already in a deep talent deficit. Chizforbrains brought in a few athletes but with his brief stint it put us even further in the talent hole as far as recruiting consistency. It will take CPR more than a few classes to even start to bridge the gap and just like our bball program, 3, 4 and 5 year kids in the system will do wonders for our on-field success. I honestly never expect to compete with the UTs and OUs on a year-in, year-out basis, but we can be extremely competitive in the North is we can keep our coaching staff together for a while.
    You and Bobber are dead-on here. Our guys have heart and they're mostly smart about the game, so they can get in position to make plays.

But there is a big athletic difference between our guys and OSU, and that has to be attributed to recruiting consistency and coaching turnover. When our coaches have the chance to build their program over the next couple of years, we'll see our guys playing as cohesively as we saw OSU on Saturday, and we'll see the increased speed and athleticism that the coaches were identifying as a need all the way back in spring ball.

It's gonna be OK, it just takes time to get there. We have the guys to get this think done.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 54

Honestly, I just felt that the main difference was that they executed and we didn't. I didn't feel like they "out-athleted" us.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 24

I never thought i'd say this, but, we are running the wrong offense.

The spread works great for teams down south. Lots of speed all over the field. ISU will never recruit enough speed to run a spread with sucess. It will always be second rate to the Big 12 south/SEC. We are trying to beat those teams against their strength!!

Iowa and nebraska realize they aren't fast enough to use 4-5 wide receiver sets, so they don't. If we ran the I formation, that would be the style we could utilize to have success.

People say, "The game is changing- toward more speed" That is only partly true. Defensive speed for one, ISU can recruit a fast defense to stop the fast offenses.

The offense can still be fast, Arob is fast. But we aren't Florida, the teams with 4 super fast RBs and 4 fast WRs.

We're just trying to beat teams with our speed, but it won't happen. And I don't see it happening anytime in the future either...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 342

You guys seem to forget we are pretty much playing all of the same exact players that we had last year when we were VASTLY outclassed by other teams with talent.

Our coaches are doing a fantastic job of keeping our guys in as many games as possible.

I don't get how anybody can judge if things are or aren't working before the end of the first season.

Iowa and Nebraska's offenses are absolutely pathetic. They win because of their D. I dont get how you could possible consider their success apart of their offense.

We lead the Big 12 in rushing most of the year. We have the smallest amount of talent/speed at WR in the entire Big 12 (especially after Moneys injury). Our coaches are doing an awesome job doing what they can.

Last edited by ajk4st8; 11-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Don't forget as well, although yardage-wise, our defense is among the worst in the Big 12. Scoring defense, however, is middle of the pack.

Don't give up heart yet. These guys have the best chance to win since they played Baylor, and arguably Army, when they play Colorado next weekend. I'm not ready to pencil it down as a win yet, mainly because of the question marks on offense, but they're certainly very capable of getting to that 6th win.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    I never thought i'd say this, but, we are running the wrong offense.

The spread works great for teams down south. Lots of speed all over the field. ISU will never recruit enough speed to run a spread with sucess.
    I don't know if I would say the ISU will never be able to recruit the speed needed to run the spread, but I agree that the spread certainly doesn't appear to be the right match for the current players. I think that is the reason why basically the same ISU players were more productive offensively last year.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I don't know if I would say the ISU will never be able to recruit the speed needed to run the spread, but I agree that the spread certainly doesn't appear to be the right match for the current players. I think that is the reason why basically the same ISU players were more productive offensively last year.

And it is exactly why the coaches aren't running the spread they want to. We are running the ball because thats what we have a best chance to do.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 4

The coaches have to do what they can to recruit more speed. That is the only way any team is going to have a chance. NU beat Oklahoma, but if you look at the stats from that game.......it doesn't seem they should have won. Seems like Nebraska's defense was all bend but don't break, but the offense did nothing.

SPEED!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    We're running the ball because Arnaud hasn't been able to throw any decent balls lately. Also because Arob is a man...
    Exactly. When you have no ability to pass the ball (especially catch it) and you have one of the best Rbs in the conference... you run it. Our coaches were smart enough to recognize that and we do it well.