Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 0

Anyone ever look at Penn St's resume?

This has to be one of the MOST overrated teams in the country. They have no wins to hang their hats on at all.

Northwestern is probably their biggest win of the year right now. Iowa is the only good team they've played, and Iowa beat them by 10 on their own field, right?

Boise St and TCU have beaten better teams than Penn State by FAR.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Anyone ever look at Penn St's resume?

The Big 10 is kind of a joke from top to bottom. Iowa and Ohio State are probably the only two in the conference worth much.....and even they aren't probably legitimate top 15 teams.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

There is one team that is even more overrated than Penn State; Notre Dame.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    The Big 10 is kind of a joke from top to bottom. Iowa and Ohio State are probably the only two in the conference worth much.....and even they aren't probably legitimate top 15 teams.
    False.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    False.
    The only two "quality" out of conference wins are Iowa against Arizona; maybe Michigan over Notre Dame. Penn State has beaten NO ONE. Neither has Ohio State. Refute the argument.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Iowa just lost to Northwestern at home... unless Northwestern is a top 5 team, Iowa's not a top 15 team. Losing a QB against an inferior opponent shouldn't lead to a loss. It's a team sport, not a starting QB sport. Iowa's probably somewhere around 20-30.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

Penn State played an embarrassing non-conference schedule. Any Big 10 homer would have to admit that.

I don't think the Big 10 is that horrible this year but it's certainly not some great defensive league, either. Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin for that matter are pretty crappy on defense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

So we get our you-know-whats handed to us today and people want to talk about Penn State and the Big 10? Ugh.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 115

False.
    I actually agree with the OP on this one. Besides Texas, Oklahoma, and POSSIBLY Ok. State, the B12 is not much better. This has been a strange year in college football. The smaller conferences have seemed to close the gap.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

False.
    True.

Penn State and Ohio State will again prove to be the cream of the Big 10 crop and not even the biggest Big 10 supporter would put them up against an elite team this year. Ohio State will probably finish in the top 10, but get killed in a bowl as usual which will eventually drop them out of the top 10. Penn State has to be ranked in the high teens after a home loss.

Iowa just lost at home against Northwestern and has squeaked by some lackluster opponents (UNI, Arkansas State, Michigan State, Indiana). That win at PSU is starting to look less impressive. Beat Michigan who is a bad football team so don't be fooled by the big name. Iowa, if they lose to Ohio State next week, will also end up between 15-20.

Wisconsin? 6 wins against Northern Illinois, Fresno State, Wofford, Michigan State, and Purdue (all at home) @ Indiana and @ Minnesota. Tell me one win there that makes them a top 25 team.

Who else is there?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    True.

Penn State and Ohio State will again prove to be the cream of the Big 10 crop and not even the biggest Big 10 supporter would put them up against an elite team this year. Ohio State will probably finish in the top 10, but get killed in a bowl as usual which will eventually drop them out of the top 10. Penn State has to be ranked in the high teens after a home loss.

Iowa just lost at home against Northwestern and has squeaked by some lackluster opponents (UNI, Arkansas State, Michigan State, Indiana). That win at PSU is starting to look less impressive. Beat Michigan who is a bad football team so don't be fooled by the big name. Iowa, if they lose to Ohio State next week, will also end up between 15-20.

Wisconsin? 6 wins against Northern Illinois, Fresno State, Wofford, Michigan State, and Purdue (all at home) @ Indiana and @ Minnesota. Tell me one win there that makes them a top 25 team.

Who else is there?
    Iowa was upset at home against NU, that is true. But I love how this one loss is now ammo by some ISU fans to discredit what they've done all season. 9-1, with wins at PSU, UW, MSU, and ISU. Hardly anything to thumb your nose at.

Iowa still deserves to be a top 10 team just as much as any of the other 1 loss teams ranked that high.

Refute.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa was upset at home against NU, that is true. But I love how this one loss is now ammo by some ISU fans to discredit what they've done all season. 9-1, with wins at PSU, UW, MSU, and ISU. Hardly anything to thumb your nose at.

Iowa still deserves to be a top 10 team just as much as any of the other 1 loss teams ranked that high.

Refute.

Penn State is likely the only team in that group to end up in the top 25 unless Wisconsin happens to win out. Doesn't exactly make you top 10 which they won't be come tomorrow...

On a side note, my post was not just about Iowa. I think they've had a solid season. I'm talking about the futility of the Big 10 in general...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post

Penn State is likely the only team in that group to end up in the top 25 unless Wisconsin happens to win out. Doesn't exactly make you top 10 which they won't be come tomorrow...

On a side note, my post was not just about Iowa. I think they've had a solid season. I'm talking about the futility of the Big 10 in general...
    Alright, laugh all you want. I don't care, it just shows how ignorant you are about the sport of football. Anybody with any knowledge about college football knows winning on the road in stadiums such as those is a very tough task, and to do it in the same season? Very solid.

Iowa is 9-1, and deserves every bit of their top 10 ranking. I twouldn't be surprised to see them around 12th tomorrow, but anything lower than that would be absolute BS in my opinion.

Knock the Big Ten all you want, that's fine. It's not super-strong this year.

But then again, no conference has really seperated themselves from the rest of the pack. Especially your beloved Big 12, who seems to be one of the worst BCS conferences this year... maybe above the Big East, but that's it.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Alright, laugh all you want. I don't care, it just shows how ignorant you are about the sport of football. Anybody with any knowledge about college football knows winning on the road in stadiums such as those is a very tough task, and to do it in the same season? Very solid.

Iowa is 9-1, and deserves every bit of their top 10 ranking. I twouldn't be surprised to see them around 12th tomorrow, but anything lower than that would be absolute BS in my opinion.

Knock the Big Ten all you want, that's fine. It's not super-strong this year.

But then again, no conference has really seperated themselves from the rest of the pack. Especially your beloved Big 12, who seems to be one of the worst BCS conferences this year... maybe above the Big East, but that's it.
    If you want to read into my posts any further, please feel free, but don't put words in my mouth.

Didn't say one word about the Big 12 in any of my posts. Just like I wasn't just writing only about Iowa in my earlier post. Nor did I ever say Iowa wasn't a good team.

I know you're understandably upset about Iowa being exposed today. Of course, I'm sure it was Northwestern's super bowl, so you've got that going for you.

Addict
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I actually agree with the OP on this one. Besides Texas, Oklahoma, and POSSIBLY Ok. State, the B12 is not much better. This has been a strange year in college football. The smaller conferences have seemed to close the gap.
    This post nails it on the head. Parity is back in college football. The amount of high school talent has increased big time. And not only that, but highly talented players are realizing that they would rather be a starter at a school like ISU or Northwestern versus sitting on the bench at Florida or Texas for 4 years.

Anyone can truly beat anyone on any given day.

But back to my OP, I wasn't bragging about the Big 12 either. The Big 12 isn't very impressive either. Texas and Okie State are pretty darn good, but nobody else is all that great, including Oklahoma. But Penn State is a joke. Tell me who they have beaten? Nobody.

Big 10 fans I speak to like to rip on teams like Boise St and TCU for not beating anyone good, but look at Penn State. They're even worse. How confident would you be with Ohio St, Penn St, or even Texas going up against TCU right now on a neutral field? I think TCU would have just as good a chance as anyone at beating them. Just my opinion.