Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

Campaign to fix Clone Zone - replays

Hi All,

I like to watch clone zone for the womens VBall, WBB, and MBB when on. However, the replays seem to be worse and longer than ever and we end missing half the event. Clone Zone isn't cheap, and I want to know if anyone out there with some inside info on this subject can direct me to who I need to complain to about this.

These replays got to go, if anyone watched the ISU @ NEb volleyball streaming, you as well as I know how good quality streaming a match could be, it was awesome.

Perhaps we need to start a petition and send it to JP. As much as I like to watch these events, I turned off the MBB the other night because I was just sick of the replay feed, and my renewal is due in two weeks. ESPN Full court and clone zone is a $200 investment. I may have to choose one this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 30

Re: Campaign to fix Clone Zone - replays

You made very good points. I know that VB fans (not even ISU or Texas) from all across the country subscribed to CZ just to watch the match, and were upset about it on volleytalk.com.
    You just motivated me to email Jamie!

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You're getting the videoboard feed from Hilton. You see exactly what the people who look at the board in the arena see. That's how it's been wired from day one. The Nebraska stream was the feed from an actual television production (NET).

Most graphics and some replays are sponsored, meaning a business has paid money to have their logo on the screen. You cannot simply dump those. Nor is it as simple as paying a student $20 to hold a camera, as was claimed on this site.

To completely drop the replays for the online stream would require a second production room, and a second production staff. Those things cost money. Iowa State is slashing and burning just to meet mandates from the state government and university administration, so spending several thousands of dollars in redundant equipment and staff is a little absurd.

Additionally, you're paying roughly $9/month for the service, correct? People that go to the game can barely get in the door for $9 per event. You get to watch non-televised games from the comfort of your home (no $ for concessions, no bathroom lines), with radio audio (a great benefit for those outside the CRN reach), and a score overlay, all for much less per event than the people buying tickets, and that's still not enough?!?

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    You're getting the videoboard feed from Hilton. You see exactly what the people who look at the board in the arena see. That's how it's been wired from day one. The Nebraska stream was the feed from an actual television production (NET).

Most graphics and some replays are sponsored, meaning a business has paid money to have their logo on the screen. You cannot simply dump those. Nor is it as simple as paying a student $20 to hold a camera, as was claimed on this site.

To completely drop the replays for the online stream would require a second production room, and a second production staff. Those things cost money. Iowa State is slashing and burning just to meet mandates from the state government and university administration, so spending several thousands of dollars in redundant equipment and staff is a little absurd.

Additionally, you're paying roughly $9/month for the service, correct? People that go to the game can barely get in the door for $9 per event. You get to watch non-televised games from the comfort of your home (no $ for concessions, no bathroom lines), with radio audio (a great benefit for those outside the CRN reach), and a score overlay, all for much less per event than the people buying tickets, and that's still not enough?!?
    We are in the Big 12. I know its the video board feed. NO OTHER BIG 12 schools streaming does this that I have watched - Mizzou, Baylor, Texas, Nebraska off the top of my head for WBB and VB. I can't think that it requires that much effort having done live broadcasting and streaming in my professional work. I live in Wisconsin, so going to the games on a regular basis is not an option for me. ISU has a lot of alumni that do not live near Ames, get a clue.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

wow. some people will **** and moan about anything.

for the "expensive" price of $9 we can watch all of these live events, interviews, features, etc. and you guys are really going to waste JP's time to bother him about replays?! get a life.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post

Lots of fans other than Gladys and Harold from Mount Ayr watch games on Clone Zone.
    This just in: CJR and her staff PROMOTE the viewing of their matches on CZ to volleyball clubs, coaches, and prospects all across the country. CZ is a key recruiting tool, as live feeds are with any school.
    When the broadcasts are as irritating as twistedredbird has described, I kinda think it's an issue .
    I have subscribed to other feeds from other schools' sites, and NO ONE has has many replays intruding into live action as we do.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The replays can get excessive. My favorite is when the replay covers the next point so you are watching replay after replay and not actually seeing the game.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

I thought for the Army game the replays were few and far between. I was actually surprised by how few there were. For other stuff I've found it to be annoying, too. But, the way I look at it is that it's better than nothing and certainly better than listening to it without any visual.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I would think that they could just take the feed from the main camera center court and feed that one directly into the clonezone feed. It wouldn't require any editing if they just used a single feed. I would rather have one camera angle the entire game than watching replays half of the time.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I thought for the Army game the replays were few and far between. I was actually surprised by how few there were. For other stuff I've found it to be annoying, too. But, the way I look at it is that it's better than nothing and certainly better than listening to it without any visual.
    Agreed. However, it would be nice if....

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would think that they could just take the feed from the main camera center court and feed that one directly into the clonezone feed. It wouldn't require any editing if they just used a single feed. I would rather have one camera angle the entire game than watching replays half of the time.
    The feed following the live action would be perfect.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I am talking about the events that happen at Hilton. WBB, VB, MBB

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would rather have one camera angle the entire game than watching replays half of the time.
    Heck, I'd prefer the feed be dedicated to the center court camera, replays or not. In basketball, when they switch to the "endzone" camera you can't really tell what's going on anyway. As far as I'm concerned, take the center court camera, add the radio audio and the score/time overlay, and I'm happy.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Lots of fans other than Gladys and Harold from Mount Ayr watch games on Clone Zone.
    This just in: CJR and her staff PROMOTE the viewing of their matches on CZ to volleyball clubs, coaches, and prospects all across the country. CZ is a key recruiting tool, as live feeds are with any school.
    When the broadcasts are as irritating as twistedredbird has described, I kinda think it's an issue .
    I have subscribed to other feeds from other schools' sites, and NO ONE has has many replays intruding into live action as we do.
    Agree 100% with Tornado man and twistedredbird. CloneZone is becoming a major promotional tool for the university, and the production quality level needs to be raised accordingly.

It shouldn't be that hard to pull off a decent presentation. Center camera to CloneZone until play is over; switch to scoreboard for replays until action starts, and then back to center camera. A separate production staff and control room shouldn't be necessary to do this.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I'm pretty good friends with the guy that directs the scoreboard feed. I've talked to him before about the replays and he says they are told to focus on replays because that is what the people in Hilton/JT want.

I've never talked to him about the possibility of setting the clone zone feed to just run off of the center court camera but that isn't a bad idea. I'll try to catch him this week and see what he thinks. Might be able to at least give an indication if it is a big deal or not.