Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 669

Recruiting Iowans

Given that a great many people keep complaining, "We need to recruit more Iowans!", I decided to take a look at the Iowa and ISU starting rosters from last weekend. What I found was...interesting, to sat the least.

09 Native Iowa Starters

Players who started last Saturday, according to the Register
    Iowa State Iowa
    MLB: Jesse Smith MLB: Pat Angerer
    S: James Smith/O’Connell/Sandvig S: Tyler Sash
    DT: Nate Frere S: Brett Greenwood
    DE: Patrick Neal

Offense
    G: Ben Lamaak G: Julian Vandervelde
    WR: Josh Lenz RB: Brandon Wegher
    WR: Jake Williams
    (not sure if the columns will transfer well. edit--they didn't)

I have to admit that I found the parallel positions (MLB, S, G) interesting. As well, each team had a true freshman from Iowa starting at a skill position. Now, a lot of arguments can be made about various Cyclones only starting because of injury—but injuries (to Richardson and Hampton) are the only reason that Iowa had any offensive starters from the state of Iowa on Saturday.

Oh yeah, you might have noticed that I didn’t even include Austen Arnaud. So, my conclusion? Stop wailing. Not only do we have our fair share of starters from Iowa, it’s the ones from outside the state who make the biggest difference. Even more importantly, it’s the quality of the player, not the state that they are from that is all that matters.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 116

Re: Recruiting Iowans

A good ball player is a good player. I don't give a rat's *** where he's from. However, it's always good to get good players who are local. We're doing that.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 443

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    A good ball player is a good player. I don't give a rat's *** where he's from. However, it's always good to get good players who are local. We're doing that.
    Agree...but recruiting local talent should only be a priority if it helps you win! Not just to put together a team that represents the home state...but WINS!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, it did't show as clearly as I would have liked, but I thought it was funny that people were complaining, and we actually have more starters from instate than Iowa does.

Last edited by Aclone; 11-05-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Agree...but recruiting local talent should only be a priority if it helps you win! Not just to put together a team that represents the home state...but WINS!
    Iowa starting less in-state players - winning
    Iowa State starting more in-state players - mediocre

Hmmm...

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    That about sums it up.

We need the best players we can get, that want to be here and fit best into our system.

Beyond that - I don't care if they're from Timbuktu.

In my opinion - we will have better success (meaning less troubles, less attrition and such) from Iowa kids, midwest kids. But I'm not calling for x number of Iowans on the roster or anything of the like. If CPR and company want to bring in 25 without a single Iowan - I won't make a peep.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 11-05-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Well, it did't show as clearly as I would have liked, but I thought it was funny that people were complaining, and we actually have more starters from instate than Iowa does.

Breaking news: it not that we get just any players from Iowa, it's that we get our share of the best ones. Iowa gets their pick right now.
    Outside of Arnaud, which in-state players do we have that Iowa even offered? That's the issue...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, Iowa largely gets "their pick". And how many of them are starting?

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Yes, Iowa largely gets "their pick". And how many of them are starting?
    Go back and do this in 2 years and I bet you it will be a big change. We have been getting killed the last 3 years in in state recruiting and most of those players are still young in Iowa's system.

You also have to look at depth. We have none and Iowa has some. A lot of their second stringers are Iowa kids

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 625
    Given: 347

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Breaking news: it not that we get just any players from Iowa, it's that we get our share of the best ones. Iowa gets their pick right now.
    Outside of Arnaud, which in-state players do we have that Iowa even offered? That's the issue...
    James Smith got a late offer... I believe Kyle Lichtenberg got a late one last offer from last year as well after Chizik left. In hindsight I am sure Ferentz wishes he would have landed Lenz last year.

But yeah, it'd be nice to beat them for more top recruits... but it probably ain't gonna happen in the near future with the year they are having this season.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 996
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    You nailed it, Tornado man. And here is why it is difficult to recruit Iowa kids to ISU. There is a thread on CF where a poster couldn't believe there was no coverage about ISU football in the Cedar Rapids Gazette one day.

The media in eastern Iowa almost exclusively cover the Hawkeyes. Very limited coverage -- if any -- of ISU. I remember once I was listening to an eastern Iowa radio station where the announcers were making fun of ISU playing on the blue turf of Boise State. Had it been Iowa going to the same bowl after their 20 seasons of losing, they would talking it up like it was the best bowl ever.

In Central Iowa, very few media exclusively covers Iowa State. They pretty much do dual coverage.

In western Iowa, it is a mixture of Cyclone, Hawkeye and Husker coverage -- with Iowa and Nebraska getting slightly more coverage.

Also, the Cyclone Network isn't nearly as strong as the Hawkeye Network. I mean, WHO broadcasts out to states -- 100.3 The Bus broadcasts out to counties.

Is it any wonder, then, why little kids grow up wanting to be a Hawkeye?

I have no idea what the solution is to that issue, but I think those who have seen Rhoads' enthusiam, passion have to like what they see. Getting signiture wins over programs like Nebraska also helps the cause.

The key for Rhoads and staff to recruit in Iowa will be for Rhoads to do a lot of face time with the top Iowa High school players. Personally, I think it would be pretty tough for a player to not accept an ISU scholarship with Paul Rhoads looking them in the eye.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post

You also have to look at depth. We have none and Iowa has some. A lot of their second stringers are Iowa kids
    Iowa isn't winning right now with those second stringers. They are winning with their starters.
    You are correct and we should look at it every year to see how it works. lets look at iowa two years from now and see if, with more Iowa kids, they are more successful.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    I have no idea what the solution is to that issue, but I think those who have seen Rhoads' enthusiam, passion have to like what they see. Getting signiture wins over programs like Nebraska also helps the cause.
    Winning is the solution. win more games consistently and you get more coverage. Everyone likes a winner. Look at the coverage we got form the Neb win. Now beat OSU, CU and Mizzou and see what the media does.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    You nailed it, Tornado man. And here is why it is difficult to recruit Iowa kids to ISU. There is a thread on CF where a poster couldn't believe there was no coverage about ISU football in the Cedar Rapids Gazette one day.

The media in eastern Iowa almost exclusively cover the Hawkeyes. Very limited coverage -- if any -- of ISU. I remember once I was listening to an eastern Iowa radio station where the announcers were making fun of ISU playing on the blue turf of Boise State. Had it been Iowa going to the same bowl after their 20 seasons of losing, they would talking it up like it was the best bowl ever.

In Central Iowa, very few media exclusively covers Iowa State. They pretty much do dual coverage.

In western Iowa, it is a mixture of Cyclone, Hawkeye and Husker coverage -- with Iowa and Nebraska getting slightly more coverage.

Also, the Cyclone Network isn't nearly as strong as the Hawkeye Network. I mean, WHO broadcasts out to states -- 100.3 The Bus broadcasts out to counties.

Is it any wonder, then, why little kids grow up wanting to be a Hawkeye?

The key for Rhoads and staff to recruit in Iowa will be for Rhoads to do a lot of face time with the top Iowa High school players. Personally, I think it would be pretty tough for a player to not accept an ISU scholarship with Paul Rhoads looking them in the eye.
    Great post, Cyrocks. And don't worry, Rhoads clearly knows the necessity of getting the top Iowa kids to Ames, even if some posters here do not.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

You also have to take into account that the level of kids Iowa gets in state are higher than that of the ones ISU gets.

ISU may have close to the same number starting, but they aren't near the impact players that Iowa has. Tyler Sash is currently a semi finalist for the Jim Thorpe award (and if you look at the stats, he has a darn good chance of winning it) and Pat Angerer is currently a semi finalist for the Bednarick Award.

ISU fans would easily trade Angerer and Sash for the current starters at those positions at ISU. Having Wegher would be a HUGE boost to your depth (he'd be the 2nd best RB at ISU). Likewise, Vandervelde would be a borderline starter at ISU (saying that Vandervelde is only a starter due to the Richardson injury is misleading as well, Vandervelde has started numerous games this season before Dace got hurt).

Sure ISU is starting some Iowa kids, but they are the Iowa kids that Iowa didn't offer for the most part (with the exception of Arnaud).