Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Favre at the halfway point

OK now we are at the halfway point in the Vikings schedule and I just wanted to review Favre's performance to date.

The numbers:
    174 comp 256 Att. 60% 1925 Yards 240.6 per game 16 TDs 3 Ints. 106.0 QB rating.

The Impact? Anyone who is a Vikings fan can see the night and day difference from the QB position. Last year we would have lost the San Fran game hands down, no question. Favre took a chance with that ball and I don't think Tavaris would ahve even thrown it. The biggest difference is his willingness to let the players surrounding him to make the plays. He is being careful with the ball, 2 of his 3 ints were on tipped balls that should have been caught.

I hope he can keep it together for the rest of the season (playoffs included). So far he is playing the way I hoped he would, and at 7-1 going into a well timed bye week I look forward tot he rest of the season.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 1,860

Re: Favre at the halfway point

Those are completely amazing numbers for a 40yo QB.

I do think that they need to keep pounding the ball with Peterson/Taylor, regardless of the other team's attempts to take that away. I've seen a tendency for the OC to go away from the run game and put the game on Favre's shoulders too much in the second half, especially in the Pittsburgh game.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

He has to be one of the top 3 guys you talk about when discussing the MVP at this point in the season. He has been much better than I imagined.

And you are right, he has only thrown one pick that would be considered his fault. Done a great job managing the offense and he has turned Sidney Rice into a star

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,193
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

I just hope he has enough gas to get through the year. I hope it was just the injury that caught up to him last year. They need to blow out a couple of these crappers on the schedule and give Sage some snaps to rest the old man ! :)

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Those are completely amazing numbers for a 40yo QB.

I do think that they need to keep pounding the ball with Peterson/Taylor, regardless of the other team's attempts to take that away. I've seen a tendency for the OC to go away from the run game and put the game on Favre's shoulders too much in the second half, especially in the Pittsburgh game.
    Did it yesterday too vs. Green Bay. Peterson ripped off his long run on the day, then Taylor carried for 4 on first down, then they threw two incomplete passes in GB territory. You have the lead, the clock is on your side, you're running it down their throats. Run. The. Ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    He has to be one of the top 3 guys you talk about when discussing the MVP at this point in the season. He has been much better than I imagined.

And you are right, he has only thrown one pick that would be considered his fault. Done a great job managing the offense and he has turned Sidney Rice into a star
    Don't forget about Percy Harvin.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,193
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post

(I hate doing it but)

THIS.

What a draft steal. This guy is an amazing weapon and we would probably have 2 or so more losses without him.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 721

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    I just hope he has enough gas to get through the year.
    That is a huge question! Favre was not brought in to make it to the NFC championship game...he was brought in to win the Super Bowl! Can he finish? Jets fans would tell you "no"...but they didn't have AP and PH to help shoulder the load!

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 197

They need to blow out a couple of these crappers on the schedule and give Sage some snaps to rest the old man ! :)
    The Vikings had an opportunity to do this twice recently, as they had big 3Q leads on the Packers and Ravens, but then let those teams back in the game. I'm not liking this 2nd half defensive letdown.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    That is a huge question! Favre was not brought in to make it to the NFC championship game...he was brought in to win the Super Bowl! Can he finish? Jets fans would tell you "no"...but they didn't have AP and PH to help shoulder the load!
    Vikings O-Line >>>>>>>> Jets O-Line. Teams aren't getting very many hits on Favre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The Vikings had an opportunity to do this twice recently, as they had big 3Q leads on the Packers and Ravens, but then let those teams back in the game. I'm not liking this 2nd half defensive letdown.
    Vikings won't get into the Super Bowl because of this. They can't stop Brees. Their pass defense is beyond awful.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 1,860

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Did it yesterday too vs. Green Bay. Peterson ripped off his long run on the day, then Taylor carried for 4 on first down, then they threw two incomplete passes in GB territory. You have the lead, the clock is on your side, you're running it down their throats. Run. The. Ball.

(I hate doing it but)

THIS.

What a draft steal. This guy is an amazing weapon and we would probably have 2 or so more losses without him.
    I expected Harvin to be a good draft choice, for kick returns and kind of a scatback, used some for the wildcat and on bubble screens and reverses.

but he looks like a veteran wide receiver. I am completely amazed by two things that I didn't expect at all: 1) his physicality. he looks for contact and runs people over. 2) his route running. this may be a little bit of hyperbole, but it seems to me that he runs routes like a all-pro WR.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    I expected Harvin to be a good draft choice, for kick returns and kind of a scatback, used some for the wildcat and on bubble screens and reverses.

but he looks like a veteran wide receiver. I am completely amazed by two things that I didn't expect at all: 1) his physicality. he looks for contact and runs people over. 2) his route running. this may be a little bit of hyperbole, but it seems to me that he runs routes like a all-pro WR.
    I hate the stupid wildcat. HATE it. Teams have gotten smart enough now that when they see it they stack the crap out of the box.

His kick returns are great because he hits the hole with speed. He breaks a lot of arm tackles for that reason.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Three things that the Vikings have to fix to go to the Super Bowl

1.) Pass defense (especially in the 2nd half)
    2.) Tackling at the DB position
    3.) Childress has to quit getting in his teams way

How about the Vikings settling for a FG at the end of the half?! They had 40 seconds on the clock and they just let it run down.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 200

Favre, to this point, has played very well. He has a lot of offensive weapons at his disposal. Defensively the Vikes have to get better, they have disappointed me so far especially with the second half letdowns. The pass defense should get better when everyone is healthy.

Go Cyclones!!

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

As long as the line can keep protecting him as well as thye have, he'll got the distance. Farve knows what kind of talent surrounds him

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 271

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Exactly. My brother has Rodgers in his FF league and played him. Was getting frustrated as we watched the first half, that Rodgers wasn't getting him a lot of points. Told him don't worry, I've watched enough Viking football this year to know the 2nd half defense pretty much consistently falls asleep.

That MUST get fixed or the Vikes will be losing early in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Three things that the Vikings have to fix to go to the Super Bowl

1.) Pass defense (especially in the 2nd half)
    2.) Tackling at the DB position
    3.) Childress has to quit getting in his teams way

How about the Vikings settling for a FG at the end of the half?! They had 40 seconds on the clock and they just let it run down.
    Silly stuff. It's as if Childress forgets the caliber of players he has at QB and RB - not to mention receiver. Let the offense go man!

It's only halfway, but so far the "Favre experiment" has been highly successful - putting it mildly. There is absolutely unequivocally without a doubt, no way would the Vikes have just one loss with Sage or TJ at quarterback. Neither of them could come close to making some of the plays #4 has nor managed games the way he does. I'm very interested to see how he will hold up the remaining half of the season. So far, the line has kept him very clean, sans the 49ers game.

It's amusing to watch the Viking fans that were so against this, I'm talking crazy against it, to cheer loudly for him now. Regardless of how the season finishes out, it was a huge win for Minnesota. I give them 2-3 additional losses without Favre (2 GB games, Ravens game). Huge difference between one loss and a firm grasp on their division (and quite possibly a first round bye in the playoffs) and 3 or 4 losses, looking up at Green Bay.