Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

We have a smart football team

For the first time in a long time.

We're still going to have plays/games where we simply get beat because the other team just has more talent. But our guys have been coached to be very smart football players, rather quickly.

Tiller getting rid of the ball when the play wasn't there, guys on defense being in the right spots and then - players telling others to hit the ground after key, late-game turnovers. Below is a shot of O'Connell's interception. Sims is clearly telling him to get down. Not pictured, Smith also was instructing him to do the same. And on the next Husker debacle, Smith immediately got down after securing the catch.

It's not uncommon to see teams like ours, that are struggling to find wins, try to do too much with the game on the line. Kudos to the staff for coaching these guys up!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 613

Re: We have a smart football team

I thought thats pretty cool too, but the wondered.. why are we getting down when there are 3 minutes left. Turns out we actually did have to punt, but got lucky and forced another TO. A long return could have maybe put us into FG range. I was hoping the D would try to house it to seal it that way. Now Jesse on the other hand did the right thing falling when he did.

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    I thought thats pretty cool too, but the wondered.. why are we getting down when there are 3 minutes left. Turns out we actually did have to punt, but got lucky and forced another TO. A long return could have maybe put us into FG range. I was hoping the D would try to house it to seal it that way. Now Jesse on the other hand did the right thing falling when he did.
    I kind of agree but O'Connell did the right thing in that he got as many yards as he could without taking contact. The second an NU defender got within striking distance he went down.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 830
    Given: 387

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    That ran across my mind as well, BUT.. you're better safe than sorry. At that point in the game, I was more worried about us hanging onto the ball than getting a few extra yards on a return.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

Well Mike did take it until it was clear he wasn't going further and got down. I don't disagree that getting a defensive score certainly would have helped. But no sense in forcing anything with turnovers were ruling the day.