Thread: NFL talent?

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NFL talent?

I understand we are in the thick of our conference schedule and 1 win away from becoming bowl eligible, but I want some opinions on who of our Seniors this year has the potential to be drafted in next years NFL draft. Here is a list of Seniors that see solid playing time........

James Smith
    Kennard Banks
    Mike Brandtner
    Josh Raven
    Fred Garrin
    Jesse Smith
    Nate Frere
    Reggie Stephens
    Marquis Hamilton
    Derrick Catlett

In my opionion the guy out of that bunch that is the safest bet to be drafted is Reggie Stephens. I could see him being a 1st day pick with a good combine/pro day workout. I think Mike Brandtner has a chance to be drafted but will definitely end up on an NFL roster. I think Marquis Hamilton has a shot to get drafted with a good combine/pro day workout. Jesse Smith has really been turning some heads with being the conference leader in tackles and earning national defensive player of the week last week. If he keeps playing like that I can definitely see an NFL team taking a chance on him. Derrick Catlett has a shot to catch on somewhere, probably not drafted. I think Frere and Garrin have an outside shot at catching on as well.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Re: NFL talent?

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    I understand we are in the thick of our conference schedule and 1 win away from becoming bowl eligible, but I want some opinions on who of our Seniors this year has the potential to be drafted in next years NFL draft. Here is a list of Seniors that see solid playing time........

James Smith
    Kennard Banks
    Mike Brandtner
    Josh Raven
    Fred Garrin
    Jesse Smith
    Nate Frere
    Reggie Stephens
    Marquis Hamilton
    Derrick Catlett

In my opionion the guy out of that bunch that is the safest bet to be drafted is Reggie Stephens. I could see him being a 1st day pick with a good combine/pro day workout. I think Mike Brandtner has a chance to be drafted but will definitely end up on an NFL roster. I think Marquis Hamilton has a shot to get drafted with a good combine/pro day workout. Jesse Smith has really been turning some heads with being the conference leader in tackles and earning national defensive player of the week last week. If he keeps playing like that I can definitely see an NFL team taking a chance on him. Derrick Catlett has a shot to catch on somewhere, probably not drafted. I think Frere and Garrin have an outside shot at catching on as well.

Stephens makes it... Brandtner would need to REALLY improve his directional kicking in the short field to get there, too many touchbacks still...

I don't see any of the others making it.

Last edited by cybsball20; 10-27-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Stephens makes it... Brandtner would need to REALLY improve his directional kicking in the short field to get there, too many touchbacks still...
    Completely agree. Stephens probably gets drafted... somewhere in rounds 3-6. Brandtner won't get drafted, but will sign on with somebody... Jesse Smith, Frere, and Hamilton will either be a VERY late pick (rounds 6 or 7) or will be signed for training camp with a chance to make a team.

In reality, probably only Stephens gets drafted and makes a team though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

Jesse may get picked up with all the hype this year. But Stephens will pry be a 5th rounder or something like that.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 245

Jesse is NFL Slow. He is great for us but no chance he makes the NFL. I would say Stephens and Brandtner also.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Jesse will get a shot in as an undrafter free agent but likely won't stick. I could see Jesse on the Barnstormers in the future though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Brandtner and Stephens have the best shot of actually being drafted. I was actually discussing this with some friends during the NU game. Jesse has all the attributes you want in an NFL player except speed/quickness. He may get picked up by a team after the draft and perhaps serve as a special teams player.

Rookie
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I see no mention of Chris Lyle, the only senior on D with NFL size. I think he'll get invited to camps, hopefully he'll make a team.

Stephens will probably get drafted, and Brandtner will also be invited to some camps. As good as Jesse is playing for us right now, no way he gets drafted. He might get some looks but I doubt it. NFL is just on a whole different level than college.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by mizouse87 View Post
    Brandtner and Stephens have the best shot of actually being drafted. I was actually discussing this with some friends during the NU game. Jesse has all the attributes you want in an NFL player except speed/quickness. He may get picked up by a team after the draft and perhaps serve as a special teams player.
    This...could be sp team stud

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by mizouse87 View Post
    According to PR, Jesse is not lacking in terms of quickness. He acknowledges that Jesse doesn't have what you would like to see in the speed department, but is well suited to MLB because he is a very good athlete. Jesse scores very well in the explosive and vertical tests which are more important for his position than full out speed.

Thumbs Up

Punters don't get drafted

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post

James Smith
    Kennard Banks
    Mike Brandtner
    Josh Raven
    Fred Garrin
    Jesse Smith
    Nate Frere
    Reggie Stephens
    Marquis Hamilton
    Derrick Catlett

Isn't Chris Lyle a Senior? I think Stephens, Brandtner and Hamilton make a team for sure. Our linebackers probably don't make it. Jesse is a tremendous run stopper, but you need more in the NFL. Catlett could make it because he has great hands and good size. Banks........well he would have to do something at tryouts. I think the talent is there and he does a nice job covering, however he doesn't tackle well sometimes and he struggles to play the ball.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.