Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Pollard's Record at ISU

So far Pollard has played is playing in 3 "games".

Sanderson
    McDermott
    Chizik

As of now, he's 0-0 in these "games" as none are "finals" yet. However, lets go right to the "games" to see the "score".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pollard vs. Wrestling

Pollard wastes no time in taking an early lead in this contest and seeming the opposition has no chance to come back. The first two bouts were a bit tough (loss to Iowa) yet eventually things began moving Pollard's way and he's now dominating the opposition (Big 12 title). Good move using the secret weapon (Sanderson).

Pollard vs. Basketball

This one has been back-and-forth most of the "afternoon". Just when it looks like Pollard is going to take a grip on things (W's over Minn, Mizzu, Nebraska - close games with OSU and KU), the "opposition" knots things up (losses to Drake, Iowa, CU - big losses to Mizzu and KU). However, all things considered - Pollard is doing a very admiral job so far and is playing to his strengths (McDermott). This one has a great potential to get out of hand and leave Pollard victorious.

Pollard vs. Football

Yet to get underway, this much anticipated "battle" will be watched closely. In a somewhat controversial move, Pollard switched gears in preparation (Chizik) and no one has any idea what to expect in this "contest". While fans may not expect a whole lot in the early going (2007), they'll definitely look for good things out of him as this one progresses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamie Pollard has a good chance to end up 3-0 in these "contests". That would be nothing short of amazing if he did. Even 2-0-1 or 2-1 would please many fans.

I tip my hat to the man that made coaching changes in 100% of the "big 3" sports in just a year and already has yielded one conference title.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 03-05-2007 at 08:21 PM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 260

Re: Pollard's Record at ISU

The way I feel. Giving credit to Jamie is like giving credit to an NFL owner. It's his job to hire the best. If anyone get's credit for wins it's the players first and then coaches. Then Jamie. I think Jamie can have credit for getting the 130 million complexes built.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree, the coaches and players get the most credit.

However, what AD in our history has put a staff together with such great potential? Granted, potential is just short for "you haven't done anything yet".

But have we ever had this much potential in our coaching staff, top to bottom? I don't think so...

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 340

The wrestling program in itself is making an enjoyable season for cyclone fans!

@RandomGeoFacts

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My question about wrestling is, Is the success because of Cael' coaching or because of the recruits brought in under Douglas? I know Cael was the recruiter for Bobby, but is the attitude that much different now then it was last year? I don't know the answer as I have not seen any of the meets. So hopefully someone that has watched them can give me a serious answer.
    Thanks

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by puckwarrior View Post
    My question about wrestling is, Is the success because of Cael' coaching or because of the recruits brought in under Douglas? I know Cael was the recruiter for Bobby, but is the attitude that much different now then it was last year? I don't know the answer as I have not seen any of the meets. So hopefully someone that has watched them can give me a serious answer.
    Thanks
    Look at what's happened in recent years (going back quite a while actually). ISU has had some highly ranked wrestling teams and highly ranked wrestlers going into the conference tourney. There has been an unfortunate pattern of ISU wrestling below their seeds in the tourney, and rarely wrestling above their seeds (i.e. no upsets). For whatever reason, there just seemed to be an inability to elevate the total team intensity for the post season matches. The result was no titles for 20 years.

That's really the one thing I watched for this year in the Big 12 tourney. I think, for the most part, there was noticeable improvement in that area. I attribute that to Cael. IMO, ISU still lost a couple of matches that they shouldn't have, but did much better than in the past.

This is difficult to explain, but the "individual event" sports (like wrestling and gymnastics) are somewhat different than the "team" sports (like FB and BB) in this sense...In the team sports, one player can be having an off day, but the others on the floor can still compensate for that player, or the coach can pull someone off the bench who can go in and step it up. For example, if the shooting guard is having an off day, the team might change the game plan to shift the offensive load to the shooting forward, or center, or someone off the bench. If those other guys can step up, the lost points can be easily made up.

In the individual sports, because of the way the scoring is done, if someone is having an off day and has a bad match or event (or two), that can totally wipe out any chance for a team title. If you don't get the necessary points in your match or event, someone else on your team has to do something really, really extraordinary in their event (like a pin or a perfect "10") to even get some of those points back. It might be possible to overcome a couple of bad matches, but everybody pretty much has to be right on their game in order to win a team title.

That's kind of what happened to ISU at the women's gymnastics finals last year. There were a couple of slip-up's in one rotation that basically took ISU out of any title hopes. There was just no way to make up the points during the other rotations.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 815
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    But have we ever had this much potential in our coaching staff, top to bottom? I don't think so...
    To me, and it's just my opinion, the best group of three head coaches was in 1972 with Johnny Majors, Maury John, and Harold Nichols. But sadly, we'll never know what Maury would have accomplished here.

And, really ISUFan22, you're right!! With the group we now have in place, the sky's the limit!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

A lot of people had doubts about Cael but so far that has probably been the best immediate impact hire. Cael not only could be national coach of the year but possibly win a national title in his first season. Granted they still have to go through Minnesota to do that but after the beating they got at Iowa how many would have thought that this team would be where it is today? No doubts that Cael is making an impact.

I like the hire of Greg so far. I definately enjoyed watching this team much more than the disaster we had last season with more talent. I think in the long run it will be a big success.

Hard to tell with Chizik this early. I think fans will have to realize that early success like wrestling and basketball saw might take some time as it's not as easy to turn around a football team with as many holes as we have to fill. I would hope that by year 3 we are talking about going to bowl games again but I don't expect much out of next year's team, maybe an extra win or 2 at best, just hard to tell right now with a new system and new players.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

From ISUFan22 - "Even 2-0-1 or 2-1 wouldn't please many fans."

I would be pleased with this record.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post

Care to explain? If Chizik is the 1 loss how could you be pleased because out of the 3 I think the football hire is the biggest hire he's had to make and the one that can make or break his big plans.

Walk On
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed, Football is the 800 pound Gorilla in that scenario. While I have confidence in Chizk, the football hire will be the one that could make or break Pollard. With that said, if he gets the stadiums expanded and the bball teams wins big, he will be a top AD in the country.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I thought he was referring to conference championships.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post

Eek...I meant many fans would be pleased with it. Sorry, I fixed the typo.

And when I list a record, I'm not meaning titles - I'm referring to a successful coach as win. Should Chizik get us to a Big 12 title game, lose and then win a quality bowl game a couple years - I'd consider that a win.

That's where I was coming from there.