Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: computer help

  1. #1
    Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Dave19642006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,853
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    computer help

    on Windows XP...Latitude 610 computer....how do you activate the standby. Step by step please....tank you in advance



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 126,037, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cybyassociation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,779
    Points
    126,037
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 693
    Given: 615

    Re: computer help

    Start button. Turn Off Computer. Stand By.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 544,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,659
    Points
    544,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,930
    Given: 2,946

    Re: computer help

    Speaking of computer help, anyone got any advice for a video card for a laptop (or if that's even the problem)? My computer crashed several weeks ago, and have tried 5 or so system restores on it. The most recent one got the computer working for about an hour or so, before on a system restart I was warned that the system recovered from a serious video driver malfunction, and about half an hour later it crashed again. Now, I should say, the computer is not totally gone. If I start the computer up in safe mode and roll the video driver back to the standard VGA dated 2006, the computer runs somewhat normally, although I cannot use any function on the computer that would require the use of DirectX (I can't even play Solitaire). And any attempt to update the video driver (whether through configuration manager or the drivers attached to my system from the HP website) causes the system to crash again (and I have to start back up in safe mode and roll back the driver).

    Any ideas?


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 37,269, Level: 59
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    agrabes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,288
    Points
    37,269
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 1

    Re: computer help

    Follow this link, it's an official microsoft page that should be able to tell you what you need to know.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...d/standby.mspx

    Also, some advice: you can find solutions to a lot of computer problems online just by googling a description of the problem, or googling the error number, or whatever. For example, to find this i googled "how to activate standby mode windows xp".

    -edit- Just noticed that link is for a "tablet pc", oh the perils of google. Still, it should be able to help somewhat.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 414,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,960
    Points
    414,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,385
    Given: 2,480

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Speaking of computer help, anyone got any advice for a video card for a laptop (or if that's even the problem)? My computer crashed several weeks ago, and have tried 5 or so system restores on it. The most recent one got the computer working for about an hour or so, before on a system restart I was warned that the system recovered from a serious video driver malfunction, and about half an hour later it crashed again. Now, I should say, the computer is not totally gone. If I start the computer up in safe mode and roll the video driver back to the standard VGA dated 2006, the computer runs somewhat normally, although I cannot use any function on the computer that would require the use of DirectX (I can't even play Solitaire). And any attempt to update the video driver (whether through configuration manager or the drivers attached to my system from the HP website) causes the system to crash again (and I have to start back up in safe mode and roll back the driver).

    Any ideas?
    Doesnt like the driver attached. You may be able to find a version previous to the one you have installed or a better one from the chip manufacturer itself. When you go to rollback in safe mode there may not be another to roll back to. let me dig around a bit. Can you get me a driver version that you are using? What brand and model of laptop?



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 64,476, Level: 78
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Points
    64,476
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 10

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Speaking of computer help, anyone got any advice for a video card for a laptop (or if that's even the problem)? My computer crashed several weeks ago, and have tried 5 or so system restores on it. The most recent one got the computer working for about an hour or so, before on a system restart I was warned that the system recovered from a serious video driver malfunction, and about half an hour later it crashed again. Now, I should say, the computer is not totally gone. If I start the computer up in safe mode and roll the video driver back to the standard VGA dated 2006, the computer runs somewhat normally, although I cannot use any function on the computer that would require the use of DirectX (I can't even play Solitaire). And any attempt to update the video driver (whether through configuration manager or the drivers attached to my system from the HP website) causes the system to crash again (and I have to start back up in safe mode and roll back the driver).

    Any ideas?
    Sounds like a hardware problem to me, to be honest. Either a power supply or the card itself is borked would be my guess.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 544,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,659
    Points
    544,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,930
    Given: 2,946

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Doesnt like the driver attached. You may be able to find a version previous to the one you have installed or a better one from the chip manufacturer itself. When you go to rollback in safe mode there may not be another to roll back to. let me dig around a bit. Can you get me a driver version that you are using? What brand and model of laptop?
    Model of the laptop is HP dv9700t. We've tried every single one of the video drivers on the HP site - every one causes the system to crash upon restart after the installation. I also tried the driver update in the device manager, which also caused the system to crash. The one driver that we had the most success with (short of the default standard VGA) was NVIDIA 8200 ___ (I don't have it with me at work and the exact name is slipping me). That lasted for about an hour or so before the first sign of problems showed upon a system restart (warned that the system recovered from a serious driver malfunction), and crapped out altogether in the middle of installing programs onto the computer. The previous time I did a system restore, it also crapped out right in the middle of the initial Windows system check (the part where when you start a new computer or new Windows installation for the first time).

    We did do a Google search, and initially we thought it might have been an issue with the system restore disks, as there had been many problems reported with HP's laptops restore disks, and while that may have been part of the problem (the system actually does restore now), it's not solving the "crash" issue.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 414,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,960
    Points
    414,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,385
    Given: 2,480

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Model of the laptop is HP dv9700t. We've tried every single one of the video drivers on the HP site - every one causes the system to crash upon restart after the installation. I also tried the driver update in the device manager, which also caused the system to crash. The one driver that we had the most success with (short of the default standard VGA) was NVIDIA 8200 ___ (I don't have it with me at work and the exact name is slipping me). That lasted for about an hour or so before the first sign of problems showed upon a system restart (warned that the system recovered from a serious driver malfunction), and crapped out altogether in the middle of installing programs onto the computer. The previous time I did a system restore, it also crapped out right in the middle of the initial Windows system check (the part where when you start a new computer or new Windows installation for the first time).

    We did do a Google search, and initially we thought it might have been an issue with the system restore disks, as there had been many problems reported with HP's laptops restore disks, and while that may have been part of the problem (the system actually does restore now), it's not solving the "crash" issue.
    So you did try the nvidia driver from nvidia's site?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 544,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,659
    Points
    544,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,930
    Given: 2,946

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Sounds like a hardware problem to me, to be honest. Either a power supply or the card itself is borked would be my guess.
    My guess is video card and not the power supply. Short of the the 3D graphics and DirectX issues (the system only working on the standard VGA driver), the computer runs perfectly fine. In fact, ever since we ran the latest system restore, the computer has never run faster.

    All I've got to say is go figure this happens about 3 months after the warranty expired...


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 544,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,659
    Points
    544,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,930
    Given: 2,946

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    So you did try the nvidia driver from nvidia's site?
    I think my brother-in-law did, but I'll have to ask.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 414,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,960
    Points
    414,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,385
    Given: 2,480

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think my brother-in-law did, but I'll have to ask.

    Well if that doesnt work, you could alway wipe the whole damn thing clean and restore from factory discs. Could be hosed up heavily.When you said you restored it before, you just did the windows restore points correct?



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 544,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,659
    Points
    544,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,930
    Given: 2,946

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Well if that doesnt work, you could alway wipe the whole damn thing clean and restore from factory discs. Could be hosed up heavily.When you said you restored it before, you just did the windows restore points correct?
    We did the "slip the factory restore disks into the DVD drive and turn the computer on" method of restoring the system. In other words, the hard drive was formatted. On several occasions over the last couple of weeks.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 414,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,960
    Points
    414,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,385
    Given: 2,480

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    We did the "slip the factory restore disks into the DVD drive and turn the computer on" method of restoring the system. In other words, the hard drive was formatted. On several occasions over the last couple of weeks.
    If it truly was formatted and not installed over, then JP might be right about the hardware failure. Have you checked on any BIOS or firmware upgrades or anything on HP's site? Its a slim chance, but there may be an updated board code that would help.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 544,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    39,659
    Points
    544,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,930
    Given: 2,946

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    If it truly was formatted and not installed over, then JP might be right about the hardware failure. Have you checked on any BIOS or firmware upgrades or anything on HP's site? Its a slim chance, but there may be an updated board code that would help.
    I might look into that, but like I said, other than the video problems, this is the best the system has run since I've owned it.


    "That's what I do. I drink, and I know things." - Tyrion Lannister

    "Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet." - life advice from Latrell Spreewell


  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 414,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25,960
    Points
    414,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,385
    Given: 2,480

    Re: computer help

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I might look into that, but like I said, other than the video problems, this is the best the system has run since I've owned it.

    Which leads me to believe its not hardware. Frustrating issue. Here at work we have some Dell Dimension 2400's. They use an intel chipset. The dell offered intel driver works fine, but Windows Update has an updated one. As soon as you update to the MS one, it blows up the video and makes it unbearable. So needless to say I dont use that one. Could be a similar issue, I suppose.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM