Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

LEARNING TO WIN

I will probably get blasted on here for this thread, but it is exactly how I feel. I am probably not the oldest poster on this board, but I would bet I am in the upper 15% and have seen alot of things at Iowa State over the last 40 years.

I will openly admit that when I was younger, I could relate to the posters on here that admit they thought Iowa State would find a way to lose Saturday at Nebraska. I used to feel that way also. But experience tells me that when you surround yourself with good people, good things are going to happen, it's just a case of when, not if.

I am a huge Jamie Pollard fan. Period. Jame and his family are absolutely top notched people. Jamie has a very good business acumen, and although every decision he makes probably isn't right, I believe the vast majority are. Right now Jamie has surrounded himself with excellent people, in both staff and coaches. I am not qualified to speak in terms of some sports such as wrestling, gymnastics, cross country, etc. but I do feel like I have a firm feel for what is going on in alot of the sports we offer.

If anyone doubts that Paul Rhoads is the man for this job, then they are completely nuts. All you have to do is watch that lockerroom celebration film in Nebraska, and you'll see why those kids would do anything for CPR. And he has surrounded himself with great staff as well.

Greg McDermott I will agree has yet to earn the respect I feel he has coming, but Greg was dealt some rotten cards, and it appears he is rising above it all. Granted, his team must now step on the floor and and win, but if that does happen, then I would hope you'd agree with me the trend line is good in mens basketball as well.

Coach Fenelly has earned our respect, and has done it. Not much more to be said.

Christy as our volleyball coach is second to none. She has built this program up from the pits of hell, and now has her team poised to be a Final Four participant. I am not saying they are going, I am saying they are good enough to be there. With Christy at the helm, this program is on solid ground.

So why the new thread? Because it is time to shed the skin from past. We need to be loyal and knowledgable fans. We need to understand that we don't have the money, the fan base, the pool of recruits, etc that most of the MAJOR teams have at their disposal. But what we do have is the people. And we need to support these people, certainly when we get a win like Saturday at Nebraska, or last Wednesday at Nebraska (volleyball), but also when we are dealt a loss as well. When we lose, we need to be great fans, analyize the loss, and move on. Same thing when we win.

Our mentality as fans needs to be that with high (but reasonable) expectations. It's fun once again to talk about a possible bowl game, but let's do that in stride. Let's talk about only our next opponent and get humped for that game. Then win or lose, we move on, and talk about the next opponent, etc. I think you get my point.

In years past, we expected the worse to happen, and it did. I think it is time that the thought process turns on a dime, and we strart expecting to win, and we become the best fans we know how to be. We may times use Nebraska as a comparison, but before Bob Devaney took over in the early 60's, Nebraska sports stunk. He ressurected that program, and the balance of their other sports fed off of that success as well. Nebraska now expects to succeed. Is their fan base larger? I don't think so. Do they have more dollars accessible to them? I don't think so.

We have CPR, and maybe just maybe, he is Iowa States Bob Devaney. I believe with all my heart that Coach Rhoads is not going to leave Iowa State. He has started something here that I believe he intends to finish. There will be setbacks, there always are. But stay positive, don't blame, and as a fan base, let's learn to win, and learn to win the correct way.

What a great week to be a Cyclone

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 426

Re: LEARNING TO WIN

Amen.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    I will probably get blasted on here for this thread, but it is exactly how I feel. I am probably not the oldest poster on this board, but I would bet I am in the upper 15% and have seen alot of things at Iowa State over the last 40 years.

I will openly admit that when I was younger, I could relate to the posters on here that admit they thought Iowa State would find a way to lose Saturday at Nebraska. I used to feel that way also. But experience tells me that when you surround yourself with good people, good things are going to happen, it's just a case of when, not if.

I am a huge Jamie Pollard fan. Period. Jame and his family are absolutely top notched people. Jamie has a very good business acumen, and although every decision he makes probably isn't right, I believe the vast majority are. Right now Jamie has surrounded himself with excellent people, in both staff and coaches. I am not qualified to speak in terms of some sports such as wrestling, gymnastics, cross country, etc. but I do feel like I have a firm feel for what is going on in alot of the sports we offer.

If anyone doubts that Paul Rhoads is the man for this job, then they are completely nuts. All you have to do is watch that lockerroom celebration film in Nebraska, and you'll see why those kids would do anything for CPR. And he has surrounded himself with great staff as well.

Greg McDermott I will agree has yet to earn the respect I feel he has coming, but Greg was dealt some rotten cards, and it appears he is rising above it all. Granted, his team must now step on the floor and and win, but if that does happen, then I would hope you'd agree with me the trend line is good in mens basketball as well.

Coach Fenelly has earned our respect, and has done it. Not much more to be said.

Christy as our volleyball coach is second to none. She has built this program up from the pits of hell, and now has her team poised to be a Final Four participant. I am not saying they are going, I am saying they are good enough to be there. With Christy at the helm, this program is on solid ground.

So why the new thread? Because it is time to shed the skin from past. We need to be loyal and knowledgable fans. We need to understand that we don't have the money, the fan base, the pool of recruits, etc that most of the MAJOR teams have at their disposal. But what we do have is the people. And we need to support these people, certainly when we get a win like Saturday at Nebraska, or last Wednesday at Nebraska (volleyball), but also when we are dealt a loss as well. When we lose, we need to be great fans, analyize the loss, and move on. Same thing when we win.

Our mentality as fans needs to be that with high (but reasonable) expectations. It's fun once again to talk about a possible bowl game, but let's do that in stride. Let's talk about only our next opponent and get humped for that game. Then win or lose, we move on, and talk about the next opponent, etc. I think you get my point.

In years past, we expected the worse to happen, and it did. I think it is time that the thought process turns on a dime, and we strart expecting to win, and we become the best fans we know how to be. We may times use Nebraska as a comparison, but before Bob Devaney took over in the early 60's, Nebraska sports stunk. He ressurected that program, and the balance of their other sports fed off of that success as well. Nebraska now expects to succeed. Is their fan base larger? I don't think so. Do they have more dollars accessible to them? I don't think so.

We have CPR, and maybe just maybe, he is Iowa States Bob Devaney. I believe with all my heart that Coach Rhoads is not going to leave Iowa State. He has started something here that I believe he intends to finish. There will be setbacks, there always are. But stay positive, don't blame, and as a fan base, let's learn to win, and learn to win the correct way.

You won't get blasted from me. Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Slow and steady progress. CPR said we wants to improve every day and every game. Our sports program looks better now than it has in a long time. Womens B-ball & V-ball, top notch. Wrestling..looks strong. Mens B-ball and Football...looks like we're turning the corner. Lots of things to be proud of.

Loyal Sons for ever True

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

With the right people in place producing wins, the fans and monetary support will follow.

My roommate who is not a big sports fan, came with myself and another friend to the football team reception at the Bergstrom indoor facility and was impressed. He later said that if would could keep up success like this, he would probably be more interested and would be more likely to help support the school in athletics (going to games, etc.).

Point is, if you win, they will come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post

love the post... absolutely love it.

buuut the bolded part.... ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm love to think that but oh jeesh i just dont know about that

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 73

Monty?

It's all snark from here on out

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Great post!

I have been an Iowa State fan for over 40 years now and I have seen all the head coaches in action since Majors and you just get a good feeling about PR. You watch the locker room action after the game and you see the look in LJ's eyes when PR is talking and you know there is something special there between a coach and his players, most of whom he did not recruit.

I am a huge fan of Jamie Pollard's and I understand the weakness of the financial hand he has to play and I think he gets the most out of our resources.

I will be very interested to talk to some of the Chizik recruits about 3-4 years from now and ask then for an honest opinion of the quality of the assistant coaches PR brought in compared to what they had before. The quality of the staff today reminds me of what we had in the 1999- 2000 period as far as game day coaching.