Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

hello all, just sent in my admissions deposit :)

i'll be transferring this jan. as a chemical engineer major :)

i got to admit, this wasn't my first choice in school. Seattle University only took 10% of my credits if i transferred, Tulane was too expensive, and depaul/loyola were too much of a commuter school, and u of iowa still had high school requirements even though i got an associates in science (i never took foreign languages during high school). However, the more i read about this school the more i believe ill enjoy this place very much.

for housing, i heard the towers suck for dorms. the only thing is i have only 2 options as a transfer student: buchanan and wallace. Which is better out of the 2?

also i heard there is a boxing club, which is great because i was hoping i could continue on with my hobby :). Are they any good? My gym has people with 100+ amateur fights so I usually get a good workout during sparring lol, i'm hoping its just as competitive over there as it is here

and lastly, for some odd reason, the more i read about iowa state the more i hate u of iowa heh.

Rookie
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: hello all, just sent in my admissions deposit :)

Never been in Buchanan but heard its pretty nice and its close to campus. Wallace is quite a ways from campus but you always have the bus system.

"We embrace that challenge and what it presents to us. Im going to approach all 12 games this way: Were going to win them all. If we prepare and then go out and execute, were going to win all 12. Now how many are we going to end up with at the end of the year? I dont know, and youre right, I wont put a number on it."- Paul Rhoads on having the toughest schedule in the Big 12

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 149

First off: Welcome to the ISU family! I think you'll really enjoy Ames and find that Iowa State is a great University with a lot of friendly people around.
    Not sure where you are from originally, but bring a warm winter coat.
    I've never lived in Wallace or Buchanan before, but I'd probably pick Buchanan over Wallace. Buchanan is also close to campus and the bars.
    Iowa State's boxing club is fairly good. I'm not in it, but I've heard some good things about it.
    Here's a link to an article in the Iowa State daily about the boxing club.
    Boxing Club offers students chance to spar

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by Marc936 View Post

i got to admit, this wasn't my first choice in school. Seattle University only took 10% of my credits if i transferred, Tulane was too expensive, and depaul/loyola were too much of a commuter school, and u of iowa still had high school requirements even though i got an associates in science (i never took foreign languages during high school). However, the more i read about this school the more i believe ill enjoy this place very much.

for housing, i heard the towers suck for dorms. the only thing is i have only 2 options as a transfer student: buchanan and wallace. Which is better out of the 2?

also i heard there is a boxing club, which is great because i was hoping i could continue on with my hobby :). Are they any good? My gym has people with 100+ amateur fights so I usually get a good workout during sparring lol, i'm hoping its just as competitive over there as it is here

and lastly, for some odd reason, the more i read about iowa state the more i hate u of iowa heh.
    First off, welcome to ISU! You will not regret your decision, you will love the school! As far as dorms, Buchanan I think is better. I havent been in the inside but it looks nice on the outside. I live in a fraternity so I don't know much about the dorms. I don't know anything about the boxing club but I am sure they will meet your expectations. Once again, Welcome to ISU!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 11

Choose Buchanan, or go Greek!! Oh, and F the Hawks!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 14

Buchanan and it's not even close.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 11

Wallace Hall is considered, "towers."

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 104

Welcome Marc9??,

I believe Buchanan is recently remodeled. Although I have never been in it, that leads me to believe it is better than is was :) It's also a sort of "central location."

Not sure where you are coming from, or if you've spent much time on campus, but spring (redbuds, crabtrees, and magnolias bloom) and fall are great seasons - the campus is one three to be named by the ASLA (American Society of Landscape Architects) as most beautiful central campuses.

Iowa State University Campus and Buildings

Starter
    Thumbs Up

ya i realized wallace was a "tower" dorm so i put my preferences to go to buchanan

also, i was interested in joining a fraternity. Well just browsing through it. Unless i found one that fit me i don't plan to join any. However, i take it they dont recruit for the spring semester? i figured it was like a once a year thing

oh ya, however asked, i lived in chicago my entire life, so im used to cold weather haha

edit: also, ill be driving (6 hour drive blah) to ames for orientation november 2nd, i'll prob arrive a day earlier to look around. Is there anything to do sunday nights over there? i'm 21 btw so i can get into bars

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ya i realized wallace was a "tower" dorm so i put my preferences to go to buchanan

also, i was interested in joining a fraternity. Well just browsing through it. Unless i found one that fit me i don't plan to join any. However, i take it they dont recruit for the spring semester? i figured it was like a once a year thing

oh ya, however asked, i lived in chicago my entire life, so im used to cold weather haha

edit: also, ill be driving (6 hour drive blah) to ames for orientation november 2nd, i'll prob arrive a day earlier to look around. Is there anything to do sunday nights over there? i'm 21 btw so i can get into bars
    I've made that drive A LOT this year. I try to drive back for every home football game. It's actually a pretty easy drive, pretty much I-80 all the way to I-35.
    I wouldn't imagine the bars being very busy on a Sunday night.. Unless, you go during the day and catch a game at a sports bar. Hit up a restaurant and take a look around campus. Make sure you know where you're going before you get to campus, so you don't walk around with your nose stuck in a map like a lost freshman.

Recruit
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually Marc936 im in a fraternity and we do spring semester recruiting. If you are interested pm me and I'll tell you more about my fraternity.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 678

I was born and raised (reared) in Chicago my whole life too, and Ames was a nice change. You'll find people very friendly and the environment very "safe" I think. Ames is far enough away from home, but not terrible. I went there to study engineering and it is a great place.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

i had one thing that might bother me though. I'm 100% filipino, however, i'm a white washed filipino. I've heard some colleges with a lack of diversity (ohio state for instance), people are a bit prejudice. Hopefully its not the same way in iowa state.

I've never had any racial problems before, just wondering if there would be any here.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i had one thing that might bother me though. I'm 100% filipino, however, i'm a white washed filipino. I've heard some colleges with a lack of diversity (ohio state for instance), people are a bit prejudice. Hopefully its not the same way in iowa state.

I've never had any racial problems before, just wondering if there would be any here.
    Not at all. There's actually a decent amount of diversity, as far as African-American, Asian-American, and Indian-American go, IMO. Plus, it's central Iowa. You will meet some of the nicest people there.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 33

First, welcome to the Cyclones family !

I used to live in Buchanan from 2000-2002 before it was remodeled. It was a nice place, although it was really different. That time, I had to share bathroom with your next-door-occupant plus single rooms were hard to get.
    Buchanan used to be a dorm for international students and student over 21-year old (correct me if the age is wrong), so students tend to be more mature and the place was conducive enough to study. But we had fun, on weekends there were movie nights where the student association rented movies from Hollywood videos and played it in the dorm (we had a new tv that time).
    The place was really old and I still think that it'd be easier to tear it down and build a new dorm.
    But location-wise, it's really nice: just across the Memorial Union.
    Overall, it was great to live there for 2 years. I still look back at those days fondly.