Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Coach Mac's Press Conferences

After watching many of "Macs" press conferences over the years I have known him, I still find it refreshing win or lose he graciously answers any and all questions. I find each and everyone informative and enlighting.

In contrast to the other Great Coach this evening (Bobby Knight), who after all his years and battles has become some what harden by the media, and answers with very short and simple answers.

It is nice to be able to compare both styles, niether is right or wrong.

I just think that "Mac" is a great communicator on and off the floor.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

Re: Coach Mac's Press Conferences

Agree 100%, he is all class...some people here in CF like to rip him, but you just can't listen to someone on that for too long when they are talking about such a great guy they only hate cuz they left their school.

I think JP hired all class acts who I think are all knowledgeable and great in interview/p.c. situations like you said, I haven't heard a ton from Chizik, but he seems like a guy who will sit down and answer every question in a calm, cool, collect demeanor.

that having been said...it's fun as heck to watch someone like Bob Knight or the Tuna in a press conference

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    Agree 100%, he is all class...some people here in CF like to rip him, but you just can't listen to someone on that for too long when they are talking about such a great guy they only hate cuz they left their school.

I think JP hired all class acts who I think are all knowledgeable and great in interview/p.c. situations like you said, I haven't heard a ton from Chizik, but he seems like a guy who will sit down and answer every question in a calm, cool, collect demeanor.

that having been said...it's fun as heck to watch someone like Bob Knight or the Tuna in a press conference

Very Very Very Very few people have ever ripped on MCD!!! He is a good coach and the significant majority are glad to have him as our coach!! I don't know where you got that many people like to rip him!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

I don't know Coach MacD at all personally, but since he moved to Ames, I've run into him a few times in town and he is always about the nicest most down to earth person you could imagine. I think he is the perfect fit for us.

Regarding his press conferences, or at least his post game radio interview with John and Eric, I always hurry home and get the radio on so I can listen. I can't remember any coach, regardless of sport, that was so open and informative about his strategy and game planning. I always learn something about the game of basketball when listening to him.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

That is why I think that Greg will be the standard of Iowa State coaches before he is done here. He is still young, and he is as homespun as he appears to be. He will be here for a long time, and I really like the fact that he is secure enough in himself, and his abilities as a coach, that he can be honest. I also like the fact that if something goes wrong, he will take responsibility.

The other thing that jumps out is how he is always coaching. Every dead ball you see him talking to a player, I think that is so impressive.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

the difference between Greg and Wayne Morgan on the post-game show is incredible. Greg answers and goes deeper, while Wayne repeated the question and agreed.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone14 View Post
    the difference between Greg and Wayne Morgan on the post-game show is incredible. Greg answers and goes deeper, while Wayne repeated the question and agreed.
    Wayne was bad on the radio. He is an intelligent man, he just didn't express himself well. I really like Greg, but I think that Wayne did a solid job in a tough situation. In fact, I think that if Wayne hadn't kept the thing afloat, we never could have hired a coach the caliber of a Greg McDermott, so I will always appreciate Wayne for that.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

But if it wasn't for Bobby we wouldn't have sound bites like these that you can't help but get a chuckle out of: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ukj6Qi5W_k"]YouTube - Bob Knight Top 10 Soundbites[/ame]

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thumbs up Re: Coach Mac's Press Conferences

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    But if it wasn't for Bobby we wouldn't have sound bites like these that you can't help but get a chuckle out of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ukj6Qi5W_k
    Great Find....That is awesome!

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    Great Find....That is awesome!
    You think that's funny I just found this one tonight: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rm1j9FQjQQ"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame] Bob Knight outakes from some golf video he did I think. 10 minutes that will make your stomach hurt from laughing so hard.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You think that's funny I just found this one tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rm1j9FQjQQ Bob Knight outakes from some golf video he did I think. 10 minutes that will make your stomach hurt from laughing so hard.
    I got the Golf Show one in a email a while back...That is pure Bobby

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 146

But if it wasn't for Bobby we wouldn't have sound bites like these that you can't help but get a chuckle out of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ukj6Qi5W_k
    Fortunately, I don't think ISU has to worry about it's present head coaches embarrassing themselves and the university in that manner. Knight is a clever man and and outstanding coach. Why he sees the need to spew profanity and disparage other people in interviews and in his other public speaking is beyond me. Usually that sort of thing is left to fools who don't have anything better to say...

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 141

Jeff,

I think you bring up a great point about Wayne Morgan. It was probably the best long-term decision to let him go, but at the time it was hard for me to see happen, as Wayne had treated both my dad and myself very, very well when we got the chance to meet him and interact with him. If nothing else, he is a kind man, and it's hard for me to see good people fall.

Last year was a disappointment, but I hope that ISU fans don't forget the previous two years before that and how awesome it was to beat #2 ranked Kansas on their own floor.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Jeff,

I think you bring up a great point about Wayne Morgan. It was probably the best long-term decision to let him go, but at the time it was hard for me to see happen, as Wayne had treated both my dad and myself very, very well when we got the chance to meet him and interact with him. If nothing else, he is a kind man, and it's hard for me to see good people fall.

Last year was a disappointment, but I hope that ISU fans don't forget the previous two years before that and how awesome it was to beat #2 ranked Kansas on their own floor.
    Interesting you said that Kirk...
    There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about who did a worse job their last season. And while a lot of the uberposters on here avoided it, I said that Wayne did a nice job in a very tough circumstance. Of course the sad part was that he had twice as many votes as McCarney, even though he actually WON a big game. It made me sad, it really did, it's OK to take shots at Wayne, who had some success, but leave Dan alone, we bought the spin. In fact it is even encouraged to take shots at Wayne, but the 30 game under .500 saviour of our football program is off limits. In fact the dumbest thing that I read was that it was because of Dan that we could even think about hiring Gene, yet it was because of Jamie Pollard that we hired Mac......ummmmmm it was because of Jamie that we could hire both of them.

Before any of the bunker thinks that I am taking yet another deserved shot at Danny the Magic Spinster, nothing could be further from the truth. I am just writing what I see on here.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,547
    Given: 736

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Interesting you said that Kirk...
    There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about who did a worse job their last season. And while a lot of the uberposters on here avoided it, I said that Wayne did a nice job in a very tough circumstance. Of course the sad part was that he had twice as many votes as McCarney, even though he actually WON a big game. It made me sad, it really did, it's OK to take shots at Wayne, who had some success, but leave Dan alone, we bought the spin. In fact it is even encouraged to take shots at Wayne, but the 30 game under .500 saviour of our football program is off limits. In fact the dumbest thing that I read was that it was because of Dan that we could even think about hiring Gene, yet it was because of Jamie Pollard that we hired Mac......ummmmmm it was because of Jamie that we could hire both of them.

Before any of the bunker thinks that I am taking yet another deserved shot at Danny the Magic Spinster, nothing could be further from the truth. I am just writing what I see on here.
    Ok, I will happily disregard yet another reference posted in an unrelated topic. Won't even ding your rep for it.

Wayne probably did not get the chance to fully install his program at Iowa State. It probably didn't help that he followed up two disciplined, man to man disciples like Floyd and Eustachy with his free wheeling, hands off style of coaching. I liked Wayne as a coach, but I do believe that his style of play would lead to inconsistency in the program. Coach McDermott is obviously a better fit, and a better overall coach.