Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

Regular Season ends at .500

So some of ya need to quit your whining.

Who reasonably thought going into this season we'd equal our win total from last year, we'd be at .500 on the season and/or we'd finish 8th in the Big 12?

Tonight's game was disappointing as we could've had a 6th seed or guaranteed the 7th. We let a lead in the 2nd half slip away. We committed 15 turnovers. We didn't get a shot off at the end.

Whoop-dee-doo Bazil - I'm aware of all this.

However, with the "season" over - I look at the whole body of work.

Jiri is a new man. 'Nuff said there.

Corey M. has emerged as of late and proved he can actually play in the Big 12.

Wesley continues to impress by rebounding and improving his perimeter shot.

Clark, while slipping in offense - proved to be a great defensive cog for us as well as a rebounding machine.

Mike gives us headaches and joys all in the span of less than 10 seconds. He'll only get better as he gets back into his natural position.

Dodie continues to improve and is just a fun player to watch.

Ross is playing solid defense and should improve if he can stay healthy.

Cory J. has shown flashes of what he can do, an off-season of weightlifting will help him greatly.

We only lose 2 seniors in Gray and Ceaser. They will be missed yet neither were starters. That's big.

The man that is Greg McDermott is here for the "long haul" as he continues to say. I've been very impressed with what he's done with this team this year - balancing the today and tomorrow this season.

Now we've got at least one more game to this season - OU Thursday in the Big 12 tournament. We defeated them before. They didn't play their best game. So while the game won't be an automatic win, it's surely not an automatic loss either. If ya wanna write this team off based on what you saw tonight, fine.

Just don't be one of the fans rejoicing and saying "I knew we could do it" in a couple years when G-Mac has us near/at the top of the conference standings.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 03-03-2007 at 11:12 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Re: Regular Season ends at .500

I know that this loss hurt our NIT chances quite a bit, but honestly, I thought that was one of our more consistent games of the year. I know we were struggling hitting shots in the second half, but it wasn't due to lack of execution of the offense. We were getting our looks, and despite our poor shooting, we were still in the game.

That was a really good basketball game. I think the largest lead was five for us and seven for them, and we saw some clutch shooting with Mike's three pointer and then Wesley's when we were down five with under a minute to go.

And as much as people are hating on Mike, I was happy with how he played. He was getting frustrarted that he wasn't scoring like he's used to, but he wasn't forcing it nearly as much as when he didn't score for the first 32 minutes of the Kansas State game in Hilton. Mike was the reason that a lot of our possessions turned into points by his passing and taking advantage of the fact that the defense has to focus on him. The and-1 that Jiri had on the east end? That was all Mike.

Disappointing that we didn't get the W, but it wasn't from a lack of effort.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

This team has improved tremendously from the beginning of the season. It was fun tonight seeing them play some of Mac's set plays. Our defense is so much better than a year ago, it isn't even funny.

A disappointing year, but not an unexpected one. We really don't lose anybody significant, and we have all that new talent coming in. We should be able to win some of those early games we lost this year and who knows in the Big 12? A lot of teams lose a lot of good players and K-State looks like the only team that will be super strong.

I just really enjoy watching GMac coach. He's always pacing the floor and teaching those kids. The last coach I remember who really did a lot of that was Tim Floyd.

Last year we hit rock bottom, this year we came back just a bit and I think the only way is up from here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

This was a fun team to watch, a fun game to attend, and I have nothing but hope/higher expectations for next year (in almost all the ISU sports). That is what the ticket office is selling right now - improvement and I like what I see!

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

In all reality, I think we put an entire 40 minutes together tonight. We hit some cold spots, but we were never down and out. I don't think there was even a double-digit lead throughout the game. At the beginning of the season, I said that if GMac can equal what we did last year, it would be a rousing success from what happened with departures and lack of recruiting time. The only thing I was dissappointed about tonight was that Bobby didn't throw a chair, or come off the bench to pop me one. Either one of those would have made my year.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

While I missed about 6 minutes of the later 2nd half (playing hide and seek in Hilton :-D) on a whole I thought we played very well tonight (other than not getting a shot off at the end). It was a very good game with a disappointing ending, but a good game non the less.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,556
    Given: 748

I hesitate to call the season disappointing, just because it was expected to be a tough year. If I wasn't a fan, I would have looked at this team and figured that they would be fighting just to stay out of the cellar, just because of all the defections and a late start to recruiting. But these guys, and their coach, never threw in the towel, and never did stop fighting. Greg McDermott is a leader, and he is obviously a very good teacher of the game. These kids grew up throughout the season, and hung in there. They deserved the #6, even if they didn't get it. Just imagine what this program will be like when it is full of kids who have had a few years with GMAC. I can't wait. I'm not going to write them off in the Big 12 tournament just yet either.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I hesitate to call the season disappointing, just because it was expected to be a tough year. If I wasn't a fan, I would have looked at this team and figured that they would be fighting just to stay out of the cellar, just because of all the defections and a late start to recruiting. But these guys, and their coach, never threw in the towel, and never did stop fighting. Greg McDermott is a leader, and he is obviously a very good teacher of the game. These kids grew up throughout the season, and hung in there. They deserved the #6, even if they didn't get it. Just imagine what this program will be like when it is full of kids who have had a few years with GMAC. I can't wait. I'm not going to write them off in the Big 12 tournament just yet either.
    Great Attitude and great perspective, enjoy the rep.

I cannot wait for next year either, but that having been said LET'S TURN SOME HEADS AT THE BIG 12 TOURNEY!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    Great Attitude and great perspective, enjoy the rep.

I cannot wait for next year either, but that having been said LET'S TURN SOME HEADS AT THE BIG 12 TOURNEY!!!
    We'll have our hands full, that's for sure. If we're able to make it to the second round, KU will be our opponent and they're going after a number one seed. If it comes to that, hopefully they overlook us after what they did to us last Saturday. I'd love to get a chance to redeem ourselves after that game.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 19

I disagree with the point of this game being bad for our NIT chances. As long as we can win at least 1 game in the Big XII tourny, we will wind up at .500 or better. Then we can play in the postseason, right?

The important part of tonight was the great attendance figures. The NIT has to turn a profit, too, so they want butts in the seats. No better way to get a game than to show that you have the ability to sell a lot of tickets.

I would go see the games in the NIT, wouldn't anyone else? And THAT is the main selling point to the NIT tourny selection committee.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal2001 View Post
    I disagree with the point of this game being bad for our NIT chances. As long as we can win at least 1 game in the Big XII tourny, we will wind up at .500 or better. Then we can play in the postseason, right?

The important part of tonight was the great attendance figures. The NIT has to turn a profit, too, so they want butts in the seats. No better way to get a game than to show that you have the ability to sell a lot of tickets.

I would go see the games in the NIT, wouldn't anyone else? And THAT is the main selling point to the NIT tourny selection committee.
    How can it not be bad for our NIT chances? We're far from a lock for it whether we won or lost.

We were two games above .500 last year and didn't go. And didn't the NIT trim down the number of teams they take now? I think they take 32 now rather than 40.

Maybe and hopefully you are right. Maybe we could get in out of respect for McDermott and how he has been in the tourney the last few years. However, we can't lose to Kansas by 30 in the second round if we're trying to impress people.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal2001 View Post

The NIT is only going to take 32 teams and a .500 record isn't going to do it. If I am right, I think winners of conference titles and not their tournament get an automatic bid to the NIT so that might help some mid major schools. I think we need to beat OU and KU to get in. Might as well win two more and go to the dance though.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Truthfully, I bought into the hype last May about MCIntosh and Taylor, based on their success in Jr. College. Therefore I really thought this team would go .500 in the big 12 and get to the NIT. After the Bradley and Iowa games, I knew I had been misinformed, and our guard court was seriously lacking. I am absolutely thrilled by the improvement shown by every individual in the last three weeks and look forward to better days ahead. Regardless of the optomism, hype, and even a plug from Dave Armstrong, the only way this team sees the post season is by winning the Big 12 tourney. There are just too many middle of the pack teams in major conferences that are going to stay home from the big dance for the NIT to have to settle for Iowa State. Like Iowa, Ill. Mich. and Purdue from the Big 12, and several teams from CUSA, Big East, SEC and ACC.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

Agree with your sentiments. I expected big things from McIntosh. Unfortunately he took about 27 games to start figuring things out for us.

I fear you're right about the NIT, too. Unless we beat KU in Round 2 the NIT we don't get to. (Best Ali impression)

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

While I'm still bothered by the end of the game, we were in it the whole 40 minutes. I've said several times that to have a chance, Jiri needs to get us out of the gates quickly. I don't know why he's the only one who can do that, but he is and he did a great job last night. We did finally prove that we can hang around without getting any offense out of Mike Taylor. That's a big step.

It didn't help that Tech is on the Tourney bubble. They had quite a bit on the line last night.