Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 771,452, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,789
    Points
    771,452
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 125

    Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Starting last year, the state began letting four teams from each district into the "playoffs."

    They call the first round sub-state.

    Do you guys like four teams making the post season?

    I used to hate it but it's really grown on my. I know that all of these squads aren't playoff football teams but more kids get to play in a big-time game...I think that's cool.

    What are your opinions?



  2. #2
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,706
    Points
    356,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 351

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    No good.

    Our 8-man team almost made the playoffs last year with 3 (I think) wins.

    no good whatsoever.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 187,310, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,285
    Points
    187,310
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 74

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Its a money grab and a joke. It takes from the good teams.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 28,965, Level: 52
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Covenant Clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,901
    Points
    28,965
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    I wish it would have been around when I was in high school. We would have made the playoffs every year but since we played in a awesome district we never went. I agree I think it is great for the kids. It kind of has the same feel as HS basketball playoffs which are great IMO.



  5. #5
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,706
    Points
    356,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 351

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Its a money grab and a joke. It takes from the good teams.
    And from history.

    There used to be 7 win teams that didn't make the playoffs.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Dislike


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 19,836, Level: 42
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    949
    Points
    19,836
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    For the A 1A and 2A I love it. and technically it isn't a "playoff game" it is a qualifying game.

    Why I like it is because this qualifying game helps to tell the difference of the stronger or weaker districts. For example. Say all 4 teams in district 1 beat all 4 teams in district 2, before the top 2 teams in district 2 would have made the playoffs and that's not fair.

    With the new system you can definitely tell the difference between the stronger and weaker districts...Thumbs up to the IAHSAA



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 34,586, Level: 57
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,632
    Points
    34,586
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 65

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Dislike. 3 win teams against 9-0/8-1 teams is a waste of time and begs for injuries.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 187,310, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,285
    Points
    187,310
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 74

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by Covenant Clone View Post
    I wish it would have been around when I was in high school. We would have made the playoffs every year but since we played in a awesome district we never went. I agree I think it is great for the kids. It kind of has the same feel as HS basketball playoffs which are great IMO.
    Making the playoffs should be a reward or treat a payoff for a good season. Not some make you feel good trip. The old way most of the teams that made the playoff were truly special teams. The battle to make the playoffs usually went down to the last game of the season.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 97,429, Level: 97
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,879
    Points
    97,429
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Starting last year, the state began letting four teams from each district into the "playoffs."

    They call the first round sub-state.

    Do you guys like four teams making the post season?

    I used to hate it but it's really grown on my. I know that all of these squads aren't playoff football teams but more kids get to play in a big-time game...I think that's cool.

    What are your opinions?
    i would prefer bowl games.


    ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 431,685, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,786
    Points
    431,685
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Absolutely brutal. It used to mean something to qualify for the playoffs. Can't say that anymore.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 355,814, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,896
    Points
    355,814
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 38

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcyfan82 View Post
    For the A 1A and 2A I love it. and technically it isn't a "playoff game" it is a qualifying game.

    Why I like it is because this qualifying game helps to tell the difference of the stronger or weaker districts. For example. Say all 4 teams in district 1 beat all 4 teams in district 2, before the top 2 teams in district 2 would have made the playoffs and that's not fair.

    With the new system you can definitely tell the difference between the stronger and weaker districts...Thumbs up to the IAHSAA
    I agree, but I disagree. I am not up on Iowa high school football this year, but I doubt there are 4 teams in one district who could even make it to the dome. I mean if you look at D1 3A there may be a .500 team in the playoffs. It's a waste. Hell, a lot of times the second place team in a district is a joke. I would say that happened more frequently than 4 teams deserving. I liked 2 teams. most of the time that is all that was needed. Now, if you wanted to do a wild card type of thing, that may be OK, but it would be hard to determine who was deserving. I like 2 from each district. Plus it is just more football for high school kids that may also have another sport to prepare for.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,402, Level: 74
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,350
    Points
    58,402
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I agree, but I disagree. I am not up on Iowa high school football this year, but I doubt there are 4 teams in one district who could even make it to the dome. I mean if you look at D1 3A there may be a .500 team in the playoffs. It's a waste. Hell, a lot of times the second place team in a district is a joke. I would say that happened more frequently than 4 teams deserving. I liked 2 teams. most of the time that is all that was needed. Now, if you wanted to do a wild card type of thing, that may be OK, but it would be hard to determine who was deserving. I like 2 from each district. Plus it is just more football for high school kids that may also have another sport to prepare for.
    Yeah, I'm sure all those high schoolers are ****** off they get to play a football game.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,402, Level: 74
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,350
    Points
    58,402
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Absolutely brutal. It used to mean something to qualify for the playoffs. Can't say that anymore.
    It still means something to win the district.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,402, Level: 74
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,350
    Points
    58,402
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa HS Playoff System - Like or Dislike?

    Everyone must hate the HS basketball playoff system.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM