Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 18,911, Level: 41
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    682
    Points
    18,911
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Ames and State fball playoffs

    Forgive me if already covered...

    I read in the Ames Trib that only three things have to happen for Ames to make the playoffs. Can't recall exactly but they are within the realm of possibility...I believe 2 DSM teams need to win and Ames needs to beat Newton (who is 1-7).

    Here's the catcher...Ames is 2-6!! I can't believe how the current system allows for a 3-6 team to make the playoffs. Terrible.


    There was one?

  2. #2
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by josh777 View Post
    Forgive me if already covered...

    I read in the Ames Trib that only three things have to happen for Ames to make the playoffs. Can't recall exactly but they are within the realm of possibility...I believe 2 DSM teams need to win and Ames needs to beat Newton (who is 1-7).

    Here's the catcher...Ames is 2-6!! I can't believe how the current system allows for a 3-6 team to make the playoffs. Terrible.
    What's the harm of them making the playoffs? Didn't you also read that if they DO make it they'll play a one seed, either M-town or Dowling? And if neither one of those teams can't beat a 3-6 team than they don't deserve to advance past substate. The fact is 16 is too small of a field and 32 is too big. The IHSAA apparently has taken the approach of over-inclusion rather than over-exclusion.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by andynel88 View Post
    What's the harm of them making the playoffs? Didn't you also read that if they DO make it they'll play a one seed, either M-town or Dowling? And if neither one of those teams can't beat a 3-6 team than they don't deserve to advance past substate. The fact is 16 is too small of a field and 32 is too big. The IHSAA apparently has taken the approach of over-inclusion rather than over-exclusion.
    Obviously, because by the time they're state champs, they'll have a winning record!


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 253,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,664
    Points
    253,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    I hope they do make it at 3-6. That might be embarrassing enough they would consider some changes. And people say bowls are watered down.




  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 6,488, Level: 23
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    173
    Points
    6,488
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    32 of the 48 teams in 4A make the playoffs

    where the other classes-32 of the 64 or 65 make the playoffs


    since they gave the other classes a chance then the 4A substate also had to be created...

    it is dumb that a 3-6 team could make it but sometimes having an extra round to allow the teams that are 7-2 to have a chance in substate instead of watching other teams play the first round

    there are +/- for the whole system



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 17,544, Level: 40
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clonebydesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    965
    Points
    17,544
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    I really dont like the playoffs situation. It's not as special as it used to be to make the playoffs. Here in Ames it has just been a bad year and it doesnt make sense to go to the playoffs, just to get kicked (what a memory to end on)



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,539, Level: 29
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    337
    Points
    9,539
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 22

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    You guys are missing the point. Playoffs are to make money not to crown champions. By adding in an extra rounds at each level, that is thousands of dollars to the State Athletic coffers (schools only get the $$ from Concessions)



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 433,221, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,880
    Points
    433,221
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by khehr View Post
    You guys are missing the point. Playoffs are to make money not to crown champions. By adding in an extra rounds at each level, that is thousands of dollars to the State Athletic coffers (schools only get the $$ from Concessions)
    Unless it's different from the other sports, they get a small cut of the gate. I know we got some of the gate for hosting baseball every year.



  9. #9
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 359,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,929
    Points
    359,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 512

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by cykitt View Post
    32 of the 48 teams in 4A make the playoffs

    where the other classes-32 of the 64 or 65 make the playoffs


    since they gave the other classes a chance then the 4A substate also had to be created...

    it is dumb that a 3-6 team could make it but sometimes having an extra round to allow the teams that are 7-2 to have a chance in substate instead of watching other teams play the first round

    there are +/- for the whole system
    last year our highschool had a shot a the playoffs with a losing record in 8-man ball.

    disgusting.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 188,380, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,505
    Points
    188,380
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 114

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    The playoff are not for the kids they are for the adults. When we made the playoffs it was a special thing and every game mattered. It would be hard to be proud when you make the playoffs with a losing record.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 21,187, Level: 44
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 463
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,408
    Points
    21,187
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    The playoff are not for the kids they are for the adults. When we made the playoffs it was a special thing and every game mattered. It would be hard to be proud when you make the playoffs with a losing record.
    It is more like a sub-state game you have to win the play in game. No team has actually made the playoffs yet. There is no perfect system 2 years ago Johnston missed the playoffs at 7-2 with close losses to Ankeny and SEP. The current system is better in my opinion.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 37,662, Level: 59
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    rdubbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    2,765
    Points
    37,662
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Ames and State fball playoffs

    The state gets the gate for substate games



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM