Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cubs fans Larry needs to go

SINCE he came here in 2002 everything in bold has been on the DL or missed a start. Out of 85 players 13 have not missed a start that I could think of.

Here are all the pitchers since arm wrecker Larry came to the Cubs:

Aaron Heilman Alan Benes Andy Pratt Angel Guzman Antonio Alfonseca Billy Petrick Bob Howry Carlos Marmol Carlos Zambrano Carmen Pignatiello Chad Fox Chad Gaudin Clay Rapada Cliff Bartosh Courtney Duncan Dave Veres David Aardsma David Patton Donovan Osborne Esmailin Caridad Felix Sanchez Francis Beltran Glendon Rusch Greg Maddux Jae Kuk Ryu Jason Bere Jason Marquis Jason Waddell Jeff Fassero Jeff Samardzija Jeff Stevens Jermaine Van Buren Jerome WilliamsJesus SanchezJimmy AndersonJoe BorowskiJohn GrabowJohn KoronkaJon LeicesterJon LieberJose AscanioJuan CruzJuan MateoJustin BergKent MerckerKerry WoodKevin GreggKevin HartKyle FarnsworthLaTroy HawkinsLes WalrondLuis VizcainoMark GuthrieMark PriorMatt ClementMike RemlingerMike WuertzMitch AtkinsNeal CottsPat MahomesPhil NortonRandy WellsRich HardenRich HillRoberto NovoaRocky CherryRon MahayRyan DempsterRyan O'MalleyScott ChiassonScott EyreScott WilliamsonSean GallagherSean MarshallSergio MitreShawn EstesSteve SmythSteve TrachselTed LillyTodd WellemeyerTom GordonTom GorzelannyWade MillerWill CunnaneWill Ohman

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Re: Cubs fans Larry needs to go

If they can get Dave Duncan I'd be all for it. I don't know if you can blame Larry for all the injuries, a lot of those guys have had injury problems even before they became a Cub.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I've been saying the same thing for a few years.

He can take the head trainer with him as well. I realize that over 162 games, guys are going to go down. But the Cubs injury situation the past few years just seems ridiculous.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 324

Jason Bere pitched for the Cubs since 2002? He pitched in the 1993 ALCS for the White Sox and flamed out shortly after...I did not realize he lasted that long in the bigs? I will have to do a google search on that one...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 873
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 324

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Jason Bere pitched for the Cubs since 2002? He pitched in the 1993 ALCS for the White Sox and flamed out shortly after...I did not realize he lasted that long in the bigs? I will have to do a google search on that one...
    Amazing...pitched in parts of 11 seasons! Did not realize he lasted that long...11 seasons...71 wins! At least he was above .500 in his career. He was destined to be a star when he came up in 1993...like so many, injuries limited abilities.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post

this is a list of all pitchers since 2002, some might have come in 2002 some in 2004...just the complete list of all pitchers on the Cubs roster since 2002

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You can't blame all those injuries on the pitching coach...dusty baker had a hand in those too (i.e. Mark Prior) I think he's done a good job as a pitching coach and developed a lot of young pitchers...i think your arguement is bunk.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    If they can get Dave Duncan I'd be all for it. I don't know if you can blame Larry for all the injuries, a lot of those guys have had injury problems even before they became a Cub.
    The percentage of injuries with the CUBS is stagering compared to other teams...cant deny that - Ughhh cardinal fans.....what was your injury list like since Duncan ..or 2002

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    You can't blame all those injuries on the pitching coach...dusty baker had a hand in those too (i.e. Mark Prior) I think he's done a good job as a pitching coach and developed a lot of young pitchers...i think your arguement is bunk.

compare to other teams and there pithcing injuries......and tell me what the reason is...Pitching coach is to show you how to improve what you have....NOT injure or force you to throw how your not used to. I showed the Cubs....show me another team with this many injuries..and I will recant...has to be since 2002

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 16

Wow, what a ridiculous thing to say. Lets blame all of the injuries on the pitching coach instead of the training staff or Dusty. Mark Prior and Kerry Wood both got ruined by Dusty. He would let both of those pitchers pitch way too long than they needed too. Like 130 pitches a start. The Cubs pitching staff has not been the problem since he has been here. This was the first year the Cubs have not led the league in strikeouts since Larry has been here. The only pitching coach that would be an upgrade over Larry would be Dave Duncan but I don't see that happening.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,202
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 66

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    Agreed. Dusty had a hand in a quite a few of those. Riding pitchers right to the edge, and beyond, is no way to treat a pitching staff.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    compare to other teams and there pithcing injuries......and tell me what the reason is...Pitching coach is to show you how to improve what you have....NOT injure or force you to throw how your not used to. I showed the Cubs....show me another team with this many injuries..and I will recant...has to be since 2002
    I don't have the time or desire to prove you wrong with stats on teams and their pitching injuries. All i know is that you can't solely blame him for all these injuries... a lot of cubs pitchers end up performing better because of improved mechanics

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm sorry...

Who has Larry "developed"? Aside from maybe Dempster.

Most of the talent has come in from elsewhere. Most of the home grown has been iffy (at best). A few have gone on to other places and had better numbers. See Marquis this past year.

I'll buy that Dusty had a hand in burning out guys like Wood and Prior. Although I really doubt he kept them in there against Larry's outspoken objections. Already stated that the training staff can leave with him.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I'm sorry...

Who has Larry "developed"? Aside from maybe Dempster.

Most of the talent has come in from elsewhere. Most of the home grown has been iffy (at best). A few have gone on to other places and had better numbers. See Marquis this past year.

I'll buy that Dusty had a hand in burning out guys like Wood and Prior. Although I really doubt he kept them in there against Larry's outspoken objections. Already stated that the training staff can leave with him.

First one that comes to mind is Carlos Marmol...he didn't always have that slicing breaking ball and has also been pretty durable. Yeah, he has control problems sometimes but he is also devastating.

Randy Wells had a pretty good first full year this season as well.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Wow, what a ridiculous thing to say. Lets blame all of the injuries on the pitching coach instead of the training staff or Dusty. Mark Prior and Kerry Wood both got ruined by Dusty. He would let both of those pitchers pitch way too long than they needed too. Like 130 pitches a start. The Cubs pitching staff has not been the problem since he has been here. This was the first year the Cubs have not led the league in strikeouts since Larry has been here. The only pitching coach that would be an upgrade over Larry would be Dave Duncan but I don't see that happening.
    I'll go with you on Prior getting hurt because of Dusty riding him down the stretch in 2003, but not with Wood? Kerry had a long list of injuy problems way before Dusty go there.

If you want to blame anyone for Kerry injury problems, you may as well blame Jim Riggleman.