Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thumbs up Very Cool Story - Bobby Knight

So, I do not live in Ames anymore, but one of my best friends is still there and is the Kitchen Manager @ Aunt Maude's restaurant. Anyway, Bobby Knight had dinner there tonight and my buddy was able to sit down with him for a couple minutes and was also able to get him to autograph the menu he ordered from tonight.

This may not sound like that big of a deal to all of you, but since I am a huge Indiana fan and went to Grad school there (where Knight is a god), this news was pretty exciting for me.

Anyway, thought you all would enjoy.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Re: Very Cool Story - Bobby Knight

I've always like Knight. With all the issues that have been brought up with him, his programs are always clean.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

For those not versed in the lore of Hilton Magic, back in the 1984-85 season, when no teams would come to Ames Iowa to play Iowa State, Bobby Knight brought his Hoosiers in, to play ISU. ISU played at Indiana the next year.

The significance might be lost, but back then, no team of the stature of Indiana would come to Ames to play Iowa State. And if they agreed to play a 1 on 1, like Indiana did, no team would play first at Iowa State followed by Iowa State going there the next year. It just didn't happen.

Indiana did, however. Bobby Knight and Johnny Orr were very close friends (still are, from what i hear), and Bobby respected him enough to help him build a program in Ames by bringing in the Hoosiers on December 11, 1984. We lost the game, 69-67, but i remember being there, as a sophomore, thinking this was the greatest thing ever, to see Bobby Knight on campus in Ames. I bought student season tickets every year after, until i graduated, except for 1986-87, when ISU SOLD OUT all games before the season started, and i was forced to beg/plead with people i knew who had tickets.

I've had nothing but respect for Bobby since then. He helped Johnny Orr when he needed it, and in his own way, helped make what is known now as Hilton Magic.

Last edited by ce1; 03-02-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Nice Story. I was in Ames back in those days, but didn't follow sports in general that close. Never knew he and Johnny were good buddies, but makes sense since they were in the same conference.

Bobby's no saint, but hey the guys got a lot color and a lot spunk and he's won all those games. You got to like that.

It's too bad IU doesn't honor him better than they do. Perhaps when their President is finally gone, they'll bring him back and give him the honor he deserves, but then again Bobby will probably never go back.....

Anyway I hope we spank his teams butt on saturday!

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Nice Story. I was in Ames back in those days, but didn't follow sports in general that close. Never knew he and Johnny were good buddies, but makes sense since they were in the same conference.

Johnny Orr and Bobby Knight coached against each other for the national championship, in 1976. It was the last season any team has gone undefeated, with Indiana beating Michigan 86-68. The two have been pretty close ever since.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    It's too bad IU doesn't honor him better than they do. Perhaps when their President is finally gone, they'll bring him back and give him the honor he deserves, but then again Bobby will probably never go back.....
    Unfortunately I don't think this will happen. It is incredibly sad but there is now pretty bad blood between IU and Knight. Most fans would love to see Assembly Hall honor Knight with a floor naming, etc. I just don't see it happening.

Last edited by TheHelgo; 03-03-2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: mis-spell

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 7

When I was in college, probably around 89 or so, IU came to Ames. It was back when they had "Xmas Break" tickets for students to buy and your normal tix rotated between two places in the balcony, on in the lower bowl and one down front so you usually had ****** seats. Anyway we bought the xmas package and ended up with seats for the IU game in the 5th row at half court behind the benches. We thought it was great. Then there was a snow storm and the place ended up like half full. We went to the game and IU just humiliated us. Well Knight and Orr spent the entire second half in copmetition with each other over who could ride this one official who they both obviously knew. He looked a bit like the post NBA CHarles Barkley. It was like a war of words between the coaches to see who could get away with saying the most obnoxious thing to the official without getting a technical. It was hilarious.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bobby Knight fascinates me. He has this extreme pride that doesn't allow him to change or admit when he's wrong. This along with a bad temper makes him look bad on the surface. But if you look beyond that to his programs you see that his kids respect him, they graduate, and they play the game the right way. When I was young I never would have wanted to play for him. But now that I have three boys of my own I'd love to send them away to play for a coach like Bob Knight.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 52

Once my rotation of those 5th row seats behind the bench was or the Nebraska game. We of course stomped them. Danny Nee was the coach, I remember him being really funny throughout the game, which I guess you would have to have a sense of humor to coach that program. He even turned around and talked to us.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

My old high school coach played with Coach K under Knight at Army. My coach was definately a hard a-- but by far the best coach I have ever had at any level, in any sport. I canme from a school in a very good neighborhood that also had bussing so it was a very diverse group of kids. He knew exactly how to relate with everyone to get the best out of them and make them better people. He credited coach Knight with everything... Regardless of what alot of people think of Coach Knight, I would definately take the word of a former player than a member of the media any time...

On a related note, a well run motion offense can absolutely DOMINATE high school basketball...

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 107

Knight does graduate players and is loyal to his friends- but at the end of the day--he is still a jerk.
    One of our players from the early 80s was telling me a story about a gag Johnny and Knight played on a Ames sports reporter. The reporter comes into the room and Knight is "f-ing this and f-that" knowing that the guy couldn't use any of the material for the story. After the reporter is obviously red-faced, Knight busts out laughing. Nice guy. But he graduates players.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 651
    Given: 592

I know he's done a few shady things in the past, but no one's perfect. I love the fact that he demands the best out of his players and respect the year he gave his salary back for not doing the best he could do.

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    Knight does graduate players and is loyal to his friends- but at the end of the day--he is still a jerk.
    One of our players from the early 80s was telling me a story about a gag Johnny and Knight played on a Ames sports reporter. The reporter comes into the room and Knight is "f-ing this and f-that" knowing that the guy couldn't use any of the material for the story. After the reporter is obviously red-faced, Knight busts out laughing. Nice guy. But he graduates players.

It was Mark Matthew, who used to be at Channel 5. and was the TV play by play guy for the Cyclones. The story goes he begged Johnny to get him five minutes with Coach Knight. They walked into practice together, and Johnny went over to Knight to set Matthew up. Knight stops practice, and lights into Matthew using every curse word he can. So Matthew and the camera man leave the room.

They are standing in the hallway, when they are summoned, and every other word out of Knight's mouth is an F-bomb. Remember Orr is standing there laughing his *** off. Matthew begs Knight to give him something that he can use, So Knight takes the mic, and for 5 minutes sings the praises of Iowa State and Johnny Orr. He finished, and told Matthew that had better be enough, because that's all he's getting.

Matthew and the camera man started walking toward the door, when he got slapped in the back. It was Knight, telling him that it was a pleasure, and he was glad that he could take a little ribbing.

Those two (Orr and Knight) went after each other all the time. When Johnny's Michigan team went to the Final 4, Knight called him pretending to be Gerald Ford. Orr got him back by making the Indiana team bus driver pay $5.00 to park for a game at Michigan.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,623
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

I have nothing but respect for Knight, always runs class act and clean programs, but with all that I want a W against him, he has been owning us...

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    It was Mark Matthew, who used to be at Channel 5. and was the TV play by play guy for the Cyclones. The story goes he begged Johnny to get him five minutes with Coach Knight. They walked into practice together, and Johnny went over to Knight to set Matthew up. Knight stops practice, and lights into Matthew using every curse word he can. So Matthew and the camera man leave the room.

They are standing in the hallway, when they are summoned, and every other word out of Knight's mouth is an F-bomb. Remember Orr is standing there laughing his *** off. Matthew begs Knight to give him something that he can use, So Knight takes the mic, and for 5 minutes sings the praises of Iowa State and Johnny Orr. He finished, and told Matthew that had better be enough, because that's all he's getting.

Matthew and the camera man started walking toward the door, when he got slapped in the back. It was Knight, telling him that it was a pleasure, and he was glad that he could take a little ribbing.

Those two (Orr and Knight) went after each other all the time. When Johnny's Michigan team went to the Final 4, Knight called him pretending to be Gerald Ford. Orr got him back by making the Indiana team bus driver pay $5.00 to park for a game at Michigan.
    great story! thanks for sharing...