Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Unbiased NU Fan Taking ?'s

Hi all, you will see no flaming from me but I always love when i get unbiased info from a fanbase. I'm no expert but I follow the huskers closely. I currently live in Iowa and my dad went to ISU so if I have to cheer for another Big 12 team I cheer for ISU. Few random notes, based on some comments I read.

--Health at RB is a major issue for us. Our #2 RB coming into the season got kicked off the team (Castilee). Our #1RB (Helu) is very good when healthy. However, he has a shoulder injury and won't be full strength. Expect to see him play some but not as much. Our new #2 was a true freshmen (Burkhead) who played very well but is out for the rest of the regular season. This leaves a random collection of unknowns. Mendoza (fast, but not b/n the tackles), and Robinson (true freshman who burned his shirt last week on special teams) will probably get a # of carries. Also throw in Austin Jones who didn't look too good last week.

--Our defense has been very good and the secondary has improved a lot compared to last year. The defensive linemen not named Suh have been very good as well. If we are in a 4-3 we will start two redshirt freshmen who have potential but are inconsistent. In the dime or nickel we have a very solid LB (Dillard) and nickle/dime back (hagg and gomes). Even against TT the defense played well enough to win - holding them to their lowest yardage in about 6 years and only giving up 24 points (the other 7 was a 80 yard fumble return) to TT. The offense is the reason we lost that game.

--Our offense is in complete disarray as we have no real identity right now. Inconsistent push from the line and injured RB's have hurt our running game which was supposed to be a strength. The RT is very susceptible to speed rushers and RG has been inconsistent. Our QB (Lee) has been scared to do anything other than throw to a RB or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and his internal clock is way off. The line hasn't been great but he lacks all confidence right now and won't step in the pocket. We had receivers open against TT but he didn't see them (in particular the middle of the field is open).

I'm at work and bored so I'm happy to take any questions you have. Hopefully I can answer. Good luck with every game this season (other than Nebraska of course). Looks like you guys are playing much better this year than last year.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Re: Unbiased NU Fan Taking ?'s

Looks like an interesting match up. Our weakest link(defense) plays your weakest(offense). Our strength(Offense) plays your strength(Defense).

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Looks like an interesting match up. Our weakest link(defense) plays your weakest(offense). Our strength(Offense) plays your strength(Defense).
    I think it's going to come down to turnovers. I know you can say this about every game but honestly I think a turnover late in the 4th will decide this game.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drunkincy View Post
    I think it's going to come down to turnovers. I know you can say this about every game but honestly I think a turnover late in the 4th will decide this game.
    You think it will be that close towards the end?

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LeSchmick View Post
    You think it will be that close towards the end?
    It will be good sign for ISU if it is.

And before you go off saying that's crazy, the Kansas game came down to the last play and they were ranked and it was at their house.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 9

I don't want to see this but I think it will be 35-10 Nebraska. We have never played well in Memorial Stadium.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I don't want to see this but I think it will be 35-10 Nebraska. We have never played well in Memorial Stadium.
    Don't live in the past my friend!

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 621
    Given: 2,522

These are the kind of guest posters that this site truly enjoys. Thanks for the fair, calm thread.

M 7/09

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 48

I vote for you to change your name. Sounds more like a thread title.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    These are the kind of guest posters that this site truly enjoys. Thanks for the fair, calm thread.

He is really a troll in hiding!!!!!!!!!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

We have never played well in Memorial Stadium.
    I was at Memorial Stadium for the ISU game in 2005 and I can tell you from first hand experience that this statement is false.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by HonestNUFan View Post
    Hi all, you will see no flaming from me but I always love when i get unbiased info from a fanbase. I'm no expert but I follow the huskers closely. I currently live in Iowa and my dad went to ISU so if I have to cheer for another Big 12 team I cheer for ISU. Few random notes, based on some comments I read.

--Health at RB is a major issue for us. Our #2 RB coming into the season got kicked off the team (Castilee). Our #1RB (Helu) is very good when healthy. However, he has a shoulder injury and won't be full strength. Expect to see him play some but not as much. Our new #2 was a true freshmen (Burkhead) who played very well but is out for the rest of the regular season. This leaves a random collection of unknowns. Mendoza (fast, but not b/n the tackles), and Robinson (true freshman who burned his shirt last week on special teams) will probably get a # of carries. Also throw in Austin Jones who didn't look too good last week.

--Our defense has been very good and the secondary has improved a lot compared to last year. The defensive linemen not named Suh have been very good as well. If we are in a 4-3 we will start two redshirt freshmen who have potential but are inconsistent. In the dime or nickel we have a very solid LB (Dillard) and nickle/dime back (hagg and gomes). Even against TT the defense played well enough to win - holding them to their lowest yardage in about 6 years and only giving up 24 points (the other 7 was a 80 yard fumble return) to TT. The offense is the reason we lost that game.

--Our offense is in complete disarray as we have no real identity right now. Inconsistent push from the line and injured RB's have hurt our running game which was supposed to be a strength. The RT is very susceptible to speed rushers and RG has been inconsistent. Our QB (Lee) has been scared to do anything other than throw to a RB or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and his internal clock is way off. The line hasn't been great but he lacks all confidence right now and won't step in the pocket. We had receivers open against TT but he didn't see them (in particular the middle of the field is open).

I'm at work and bored so I'm happy to take any questions you have. Hopefully I can answer. Good luck with every game this season (other than Nebraska of course). Looks like you guys are playing much better this year than last year.
    We love having contributions from rational opposing fans over here. Thanks for the info!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

We were in it the last two times in Lincoln.

I expect a pretty low scoring, close game. If we get out to a quick 10-0 lead like in 07, we should be able to hold on for the win.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

Drunkincy is right one with turnovers. As good as Nebraska's D is, we can't let them do the scoring on Saturday. We also have to limit the pressure on our QBs and for love of God, throw the kitchen sink at Suh.

I definitely think Neb. will have an improved offensive performance (especially against our D), but keep in mind our D has been getting better just about every week (except KU).

I think this game is either going to be a lower scoring, field possession battle with a score around 24-17, or it's going to be a game with a lot of fluke plays, turnovers and big special teams plays and there will be a little distance in that scoring margin.

I certainly don't think Nebraska is going to beat us by 18, but if we do lose, 10 points is probably about right. I could see Neb. winning with a score of 26-17, with one of their scores being a defensive TD and a number of field goals.

All that being said, I really like ISU in this game, and wouldn't be shocked if we walked out of there with our first victory since '77...I just don't want to bet on it though.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 162

Never? I believe you might be forgetting our 2 OT loss...

-2005 football team

When Prepared, Fear No One.