Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

Camp Randall is the most overrated place

for a football game I have been to yet. The tailgating is horrible. Nobody even showed up until 10:00 for and 11:00 football game. Hawk fans and me were out at 7:30 a.m. ready to go. THe don't start selling beer until 8:00 a.m. across the state.
    THen when we get to the game the student section apparently got caught off guard to this 11:00 a.m. thing because they finally finished funnelling into the stadium around the second quarter.
    I would have to admitt they are the second best student section I have ever seen. They really have the cheers down. There only problem is it seemed like hardly any of them were into the game and more into having fun.
    The rest of the stadium was dead. Just Wisconsin people yelling at the coach and generally being mad. Nobody stood for most of the game. Jack Trice was way louder and even the Hawkeye fans next to me admitted that.
    Just a horrible day in Madison.
    Good for me we left and went to Green Bay Saturday night and had a freakin blast.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

Re: Camp Randall is the most overrated place

I liked it when I went some years back. Having a nice surrounding city helps.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 564
    Given: 356

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I liked it when I went some years back. Having a nice surrounding city helps.
    Would certainly be fun to get a home/home going with them eventually. Some folks just don't know a good CFB environment, even if it slaps 'em in the face.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    for a football game I have been to yet. The tailgating is horrible. Nobody even showed up until 10:00 for and 11:00 football game. Hawk fans and me were out at 7:30 a.m. ready to go. THe don't start selling beer until 8:00 a.m. across the state.
    THen when we get to the game the student section apparently got caught off guard to this 11:00 a.m. thing because they finally finished funnelling into the stadium around the second quarter.
    I would have to admitt they are the second best student section I have ever seen. They really have the cheers down. There only problem is it seemed like hardly any of them were into the game and more into having fun.
    The rest of the stadium was dead. Just Wisconsin people yelling at the coach and generally being mad. Nobody stood for most of the game. Jack Trice was way louder and even the Hawkeye fans next to me admitted that.
    Good for me we left and went to Green Bay Saturday night and had a freakin blast.
    My boss went to the game on Saturday and said the same things. It wasn't busy until about an hour before kickoff. That's bad.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

Believe it or not, there is better tailgating and fans united for the Wisconsin-Whitewater team. Those people go nuts.

Of course, they are winners though.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    It's been a while since I've been there... but tailgating scene is more of a neighborhood party scene around the stadium and you can't really compare JTS to Camp Randall. Both are unique and both are a blast.

Also, in every student section (including JTS) a majority of the fans are there to have fun and don't really care about the game. Every group has their die hard sports fans, but with them are another couple people there to have fun and be entertained. That's what sports is, entertainment.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I agree, it was a very subdued crowd on Saturday. Quite surprising actually, considering they came out and dominated the first half too. The students not showing up fully until halftime is embarrasing no doubt, but when the whole crowd is there it's a cool atmosphere.

As for the pre-game, it's just a different style but that's what is fun about it. You're exactly right in that there are no tailgates and nobody is out there 5 hours before the game, but what is fun is all the bars w/in walking distance of the stadium packed full. The difference is after the games the bars are packed as well and long into the day, but that's just Wisconsin in general.

The real problem is these silly 11:00 am Big Ten showdowns.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

As for the pre-game, it's just a different style but that's what is fun about it. You're exactly right in that there are no tailgates and nobody is out there 5 hours before the game, but what is fun is all the bars w/in walking distance of the stadium packed full. The difference is after the games the bars are packed as well and long into the day, but that's just Wisconsin in general.
    The problem I have with Bar tailgating is that I can go to a bar anytime I want to and have fun. Tailgating is reserved for about 6 times out of the year. That is the fun part. Setting up shop with your friends and tailgating next to total strangers that for some reason 6 hours later are your best friends and hope to park next to them the next time. A bar is a bar. Nothing new and nothing exciting or different. It sucked.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The tailgating outside of JTS was anemic on Saturday. Perhaps it was weather related? A cloud of tailgating malaise was draping the midwest?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    The tailgating outside of JTS was anemic on Saturday. Perhaps it was weather related? A cloud of tailgating malaise was draping the midwest?
    Perhaps, but I was too busy enjoying a perfectly smoked brisket sandwich slathered in Gates BBQ sauce to notice much of anything else.

Pro
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

How about the band? There is only 2-3 bands in the country that can tie the UW Band's shoes.

Honor Before Victory

Prospect
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post

I was too busy drinking a mini-keg....

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 736
    Given: 92

Guys, I have been to a few places besides ISU. I have been to Iowa CIty, Ann Arbor, Camp Randall, Lawrence a few years ago, Champagne. Out of all those, nothing compared to ISU. Was there more people? Maybe, but they weren't as fun. I went to a South Dakota State game last year and it was an absolute blast. It held it's own against most of the places I had been. I think it goes to show that except in the South, it doesn't matter how good the football program is.

It's all snark from here on out

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Guys, I have been to a few places besides ISU. I have been to Iowa CIty, Ann Arbor, Camp Randall, Lawrence a few years ago, Champagne. Out of all those, nothing compared to ISU. Was there more people? Maybe, but they weren't as fun. I went to a South Dakota State game last year and it was an absolute blast. It held it's own against most of the places I had been. I think it goes to show that except in the South, it doesn't matter how good the football program is.
    um its champaign and the students there go to the bars while the donors tg... dont know why but thats how it works at illinois, I have been to many games there and only donors really tg