Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Hey anybody live around Clinton, IA? I'm supposed to drive there this afternoon on 30 from CR, anybody tried it?



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 57,729, Level: 74
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 821
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jtdoyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,192
    Points
    57,729
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 5

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    check out iowaroadconditions.com

    Looks like completely covered to Highway 61 then wet from there to Clinton.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 44,819, Level: 65
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,802
    Points
    44,819
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    If it's any indication, I know that the schools in Clinton were canceled today.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    check out iowaroadconditions.com

    Looks like completely covered to Highway 61 then wet from there to Clinton.
    yeah, I've been watching it - I'm supposed to work an overnight there, so here's to hoping it gets called off.



  5. #5
    cyclONEnation
    Points: 236,684, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    C.John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,441
    Points
    236,684
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 52

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    I talked to my folks and they said the roads were slick and the wind was gusting quite a bit. According to the DOT, the condition of Highway 30 between DeWitt and Clinton is:

    US 30: from US 61 North to US 67 South
    roadway is completely covered with mixed snow ice or slush, reduced visibility, towing services prohibited


    So drive safe



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 402,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,556
    Points
    402,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Heard no one is on the road. No traffic to speak of. Just the 50 mph wind and you.


    Last edited by Wesley; 03-02-2007 at 10:17 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    got 15 miles towards Clinton and turned around - lots of white out areas, traffic moving about 35 mphs ... its just work, I turned around and rescheduled for next week. added bonus ... drinking the bar outta anmber bach tonight - hood times



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 402,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,556
    Points
    402,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    My spouse was working in Clinton area last week - she lucked out for the weather.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    My spouse was working in Clinton area last week - she lucked out for the weather.
    Clinton smells worse than CR, which is saying a lot. Nothing like a cat litter factory and a rendering works in town to add a nasty aroma to the air.

    Only work there a couple times a year, and today was not one of 'em! Nice AA team there though, cool ballpark on the river.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 20,746, Level: 43
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Nedrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Carroll, IA
    Posts
    1,265
    Points
    20,746
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Hey - don't knock Clinton - it's my hometown...

    On second thought, knock away. It's a dump. I haven't been back for 5 years. No doubt about the fact that that town has an odor issue. We used to smell the rendering works factory from 3-4 miles away upwind. Ughh!

    There's really not much there... And by the way, the Clinton Lumberkings are only a single-A baseball team.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 483,454, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    32,513
    Points
    483,454
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 896
    Given: 639

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    OMG, Clinton smells worse than ______. Put just about anything in the blank. It applies. I remember in HS there was not a single person that played any sport in the MAC (Mississippi Athletic Conference) wanted to play in either Clinton or Muscatine. If you played in Clinton you had to hold your breath the entire stay in the city. If you played in Muscatine you had to deal with either racial comments from half the football team or had to put up w/ that one guy in the stands. You know the guy. The one that the only word in his vocabulary is "DEEEEEEEEEE-FEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNSSSSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!" and he sounded like he was having a hernia every time he said it.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    OMG, Clinton smells worse than ______. Put just about anything in the blank. It applies. I remember in HS there was not a single person that played any sport in the MAC (Mississippi Athletic Conference) wanted to play in either Clinton or Muscatine. If you played in Clinton you had to hold your breath the entire stay in the city. If you played in Muscatine you had to deal with either racial comments from half the football team or had to put up w/ that one guy in the stands. You know the guy. The one that the only word in his vocabulary is "DEEEEEEEEEE-FEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNSSSSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!" and he sounded like he was having a hernia every time he said it.
    Had an internship in Muscatine one summer, never forget 4 hours into my first day we're going to lunch and the boss goes "oh, and that Hardees parking lot over there is were the guy got shot and killed a couple weeks back" - nothing like a Welcome to Muscatine moment.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 19,757, Level: 42
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    iccyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    1,405
    Points
    19,757
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

    Wink Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    One of my best friends (and a frequent lurker on this board) is from Clinton; I'll not debate that it's a dump but we sure had many good times there with the progression being: waterski on the backwaters of the Mississippi, close down some dive bar and catch breakfast at Country Kitchen!

    Skiing on the river, I was taught the Clinton "titty wave" (arm straight out - open & close hand in grasping motion), which never seemed to fail in providing breast exposure. Years later I'm inspecting the railroad bridge that spans the river; I walk up the Hwy 30 bridge to get some photos and a group of girls in a pickup starts yelling at me. I reply with the "titty wave" and three HS girls in the back automatically go up with their t-shirts. Do they learn that at birth?


    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Recruit
    Points: 6,342, Level: 23
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    77
    Points
    6,342
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Clinton smells worse than CR, which is saying a lot. Nothing like a cat litter factory and a rendering works in town to add a nasty aroma to the air.

    Only work there a couple times a year, and today was not one of 'em! Nice AA team there though, cool ballpark on the river.

    Just wanted to defend the rendering plant, I used to work for National By-Products in DM (my first job out of college - I was the Safety Director there for just over a year) and, although it stinks inside and very near those plants, the smell in Clinton is mostly due to the ADM plant (similar smell to the ADM plant in CR). The National By-Products plant in DM actually had a $1 million odor control system in that facility and the smell on the SE side of DM was due to the rendering in the meat packing plants in the area.

    As far as the smell in CR (I currently live in Marion and work in downtown CR), you're right, it does smell, but the smell improves dramatically when Quaker is cooking Captain Crunch!!!



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 136,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    136,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Anybody in Clinton?? (road conditions)

    Quote Originally Posted by explorer View Post
    Just wanted to defend the rendering plant, I used to work for National By-Products in DM (my first job out of college - I was the Safety Director there for just over a year) and, although it stinks inside and very near those plants, the smell in Clinton is mostly due to the ADM plant (similar smell to the ADM plant in CR). The National By-Products plant in DM actually had a $1 million odor control system in that facility and the smell on the SE side of DM was due to the rendering in the meat packing plants in the area.

    As far as the smell in CR (I currently live in Marion and work in downtown CR), you're right, it does smell, but the smell improves dramatically when Quaker is cooking Captain Crunch!!!
    Cookie Crisp days are the best - nothing like cookie crisp aroma in the downtown to start the morning right



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM