Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Spread Formation

Love how Herman has implemented it, so far.
    Felt he overused the run a tad in the beginning. However, I think it was to instill confidence in AA on something to lean back on.
    I think we probably have a season of bumps. That said it is slowly becoming a decent machine.
    Also, I have a friend out East that is a very close friend with our OC. He stated that we Herman would like to have a true Freshman competing for a starting job next year, and he thinks he has him under wraps.
    This is the third "rumor" I have posted on this site. The other two were spot on.
    So take it for what it's worth...

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 963
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 113

Re: Spread Formation

What position? QB?

Recruit
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    What position? QB?
    My bad. Yes.
    And this friend also informed me of Herman coming here before any of us knew.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Quote Originally Posted by Divided Sky View Post
    Felt he overused the run a tad in the beginning. However, I think it was to instill confidence in AA on something to lean back on.
    I think we probably have a season of bumps. That said it is slowly becoming a decent machine.
    Also, I have a friend out East that is a very close friend with our OC. He stated that we Herman would like to have a true Freshman competing for a starting job next year, and he thinks he has him under wraps.
    This is the third "rumor" I have posted on this site. The other two were spot on.
    Huh? If anything, he didn't use the run enough!

Why would our running game be "something to lean back on" when we lead the Big 12 in rushing (and are ranked inside the top 15 in the country)? This offense, at least at this point, should be built on running the football - and Herman is finally utilizing it that way.

Way to many fans get distracted by the term "spread offense" and think we should be throwing it 45+ times per game. No. We have a very good running back in ARob and we must use him. He's our best and most productive weapon, to ignore that would be insanity.

As far as a new QB coming in, that's fine by me. IMO, our staff should always be trying to recruit over the current starter in every position.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Right, "spread" doesn't mean we toss it around the field all day. Walden ran a "spread" formation too, but Blaise Bryant was the focus and we had a good rushing game.

A true freshman will not come in and challenge senior AA next year, unless Seneca is allowed to start over.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

I think you miss the concept of the spread offense. The spread offense isn't necessarily "pass on the defense all game long", the spread offense is "force the defense to defend all 52 yards of width of the field by spreading out the formations". Hell, considering no defense so far has shown the ability to stop ARob in the spread offense, the argument should be that we should be using more running plays.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Recruit
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

By running too much, let me clarify.
    I felt that we were trying to set up a new offense. We know what we have with A-Rob. A baller.
    With this offense the run would be there. We should have used our first four games as an opportunity to develop the passing aspect more. The spread is all timing and reads. If a QB is out of synch it can be disastrous (see Iowa).
    When we got up on Army we should have dropped the passing hammer. I get that we have had injuries, but I feel that it was something we needed to develop earlier this year, rather than the KU game. It looked pretty filthy, though.
    As for the QB, I am just saying what I have heard. Hearsay goes on all of the time on boards, I understand that. No way would I put it in a paper. However, my friend is a pretty in-the-know person. I don't think bringing in a Frosh with the idea he could challenge is mind altering....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think you miss the concept of the spread offense. The spread offense isn't necessarily "pass on the defense all game long", the spread offense is "force the defense to defend all 52 yards of width of the field by spreading out the formations". Hell, considering no defense so far has shown the ability to stop ARob in the spread offense, the argument should be that we should be using more running plays.
    How many times do you remember a running back from Missouri just gouging us for 10-15 yards play after play. It was so annoying and I'm glad we are starting do do that back to teams.

I think as AA's accuracy continues to improve, we'll pass more and run less, but still run for nearly as many yards.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Did you not watch any of the first few games? The passing attack wasn't an attack - more of a whimper. It wasn't abandoned, actually - it was forced at times, notably against Iowa. It simply was not working.

You don't "practice" in games, unless you want to lose. At ISU, we don't have the luxury of playing someone, working kinks out but knowing we will still win. Not right now.

The way this passing offense will get better is by more reps in practice and games (as well as improved talent). It's clearly not happening overnight but it is slowly getting better.

This "logic" about needing to pass more is severely flawed.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

By running too much, let me clarify.
    I felt that we were trying to set up a new offense. We know what we have with A-Rob. A baller.
    With this offense the run would be there. We should have used our first four games as an opportunity to develop the passing aspect more. The spread is all timing and reads. If a QB is out of synch it can be disastrous (see Iowa).
    When we got up on Army we should have dropped the passing hammer. I get that we have had injuries, but I feel that it was something we needed to develop earlier this year, rather than the KU game. It looked pretty filthy, though.
    As for the QB, I am just saying what I have heard. Hearsay goes on all of the time on boards, I understand that. No way would I put it in a paper. However, my friend is a pretty in-the-know person. I don't think bringing in a Frosh with the idea he could challenge is mind altering....
    Might have worked if we weren't interested in winning our winnable ball games this year. As you had noticed, the passing game hadn't synched up at all. So what do you do - risk sacrificing 3 wins by using game time as practice? Or treat the game as what it is - a game - and go out and use what is known to work and try to win a few ball games?

See, what you are suggesting - work on schemes during games - was something that was done during the Chizik era - most notably when it came to his "Tampa 2" defense. We clearly didn't have the talent capable of running that defense, but even then the players didn't grasp the concept of the defense either. Last year (or even the last 10 years) should be proof enough that if something isn't working, don't keep doing it until it works. As Albert Einstein said, that's the definition of insanity - doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

Personally, would you rather be 3-3 and still have an outside shot at a bowl game because we ran the ball a lot (maybe more than you think we should have), or would you rather be 1-5 or 0-6 with no chance for postseason play because you felt like we should have been using valuable game time to practice something that hadn't worked yet this season?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Considering the Army game was the only one where we were ahead by enough to "practice" tossing it around, how classless would it have been for us to start chucking it around in the second half against Army when we were already in control. At that point you just run out the clock as much as possible and shorten the game.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Considering the Army game was the only one where we were ahead by enough to "practice" tossing it around, how classless would it have been for us to start chucking it around in the second half against Army when we were already in control. At that point you just run out the clock as much as possible and shorten the game.
    Almost reminds me of what Nebraska used to do to us - they'd start passing on our defense BECAUSE it was the only way they knew how to not run up the score on us (because their run offense was just that good)...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Did you not watch any of the first few games? The passing attack wasn't an attack - more of a whimper. It wasn't abandoned, actually - it was forced at times, notably against Iowa. It simply was not working.

You don't "practice" in games, unless you want to lose. At ISU, we don't have the luxury of playing someone, working kinks out but knowing we will still win. Not right now.

The way this passing offense will get better is by more reps in practice and games (as well as improved talent). It's clearly not happening overnight but it is slowly getting better.

This "logic" about needing to pass more is severely flawed.

Your arguments with everyone with a different opinion than your own are growing tiresome. It would not suprise me if you have a mirror and a whistle close to the computer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by 4429 mcc View Post
    Your arguments with everyone with a different opinion than your own are growing tiresome. It would not suprise me if you have a mirror and a whistle close to the computer.
    I agree. This guy is trying to give us some info and you guys just light him on fire. If I was him I wouldn't tell us any exciting news. The point of the post to me is that Herman may think he has a guy that can come in next year and challenge. If he has that guy, I am happy. He won't start of AA, but the fact that Herman has a guy who he believes can compete is very positive.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is this a recruit that has not yet commited? Jared Barnett has committed so I'm wondering if this is someone on top of him or if the guy he thinks will compete is JB.