Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 743,816, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,373
    Points
    743,816
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 57

    Thinking Back to 2005...

    I was talking with some old college buddies last night and we got on the topic of the 2005 season.

    Do you guys remember how painful that was? We got on this topic because we were talking about Baylor coming to town.

    That loss to the Bears in 2005 was one of the worst I can remember. I still get sick just thinking about that game.

    What a bittersweet season that was though...the double-OT Nebraska game, Baylor, the road trip to Lawrence.

    Knocking off a top-10 Iowa team was a lot of fun. So was Houston.

    I had a blast watching that team but they sure gave me a lot of headaches.

    Just thought I would share the conversation I got into last night. Have a great day everybody. I'll be on the road most of the day heading to Ames and back for MBB Media Day.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 845,233, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    53,670
    Points
    845,233
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 494

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    I lived in Nebraska in 2005. In one respect, it was fun to see how sheepish Husker fans were following a game with us. On the other hand, besides wanting the win, we watched the end of the game with teenagers that we took to a church youth event, and for some reason, they were all Husker fans.

    Although I know that the wife of a pastor friend in Lincoln is a giant Cyclone fan. She walked around that day sporting her "Beat the Huskers" T-shirt, so that was fun!


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 464,777, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,209
    Points
    464,777
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 173

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    While there were a lot of "ups" in that season, it was the beginning of the end of Dan McCarney, even though a lot of us wouldn't admit it until after the fact. I know it's a lot of ifs and buts, but we should have gone 11-1 that season and ran away with the North, or, at the very least, we should have finished a lot better than 7-6. The fact that the coaches never seemed to adjust to the opponents' adjustments and that the players just never seemed to respond was sickening.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 15,484, Level: 37
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyznutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    995
    Points
    15,484
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Don't forget the heart break during the Mizzou OT game that could have sent us the Big 12 championship game! Just had to under throw the ball Brett, didn't you!!!!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 97,791, Level: 97
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,783
    Points
    97,791
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    The 2005 season comes up in virtually any football thread. The definitive "what if" season for Iowa State football.

    Of all the bad losses that year, I actually think the one that hurt the most was that Baylor game. We take care of business in that game, Baylor doesn't get their first road win in the Big 12 ever and we outright win the North. Our only loss at home. And somehow that team, which scored 13 points that game, was the same one that annihilated A&M in their own house.

    It was probably also one of the deadest home crowds in recent memory. JT was a mausoleum that day.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,670, Level: 82
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,469
    Points
    70,670
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 38

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    My friends to this day swear that I said, "We just lost to Baylor....BAYLOR!" over 100 times that day. One of the worst days I can remember.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 15,484, Level: 37
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyznutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    995
    Points
    15,484
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    My friends to this day swear that I said, "We just lost to Baylor....BAYLOR!" over 100 times that day. One of the worst days I can remember.
    For me too! I was getting married that day, that's way I wasn't there!!! One of my worst days I can remember!



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 475,745, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,668
    Points
    475,745
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 5

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    I'll never forget Shawn Bell, the slowest QB in Big 12 history, running right through the middle of our defense for 16 yards on 3rd and 15 on that game clinching drive. The crowd died because it seemed like the louder we got, the better Baylor played. It was disheartening. It was almost like "maybe if we shut up, the won't get this 3rd and long". I'll never forget that terrible call on the Coleman fumble that would have put us up 17-3.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 31,634, Level: 54
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Apollo Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,667
    Points
    31,634
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I was talking with some old college buddies last night and we got on the topic of the 2005 season.

    Do you guys remember how painful that was? We got on this topic because we were talking about Baylor coming to town.

    That loss to the Bears in 2005 was one of the worst I can remember. I still get sick just thinking about that game.

    What a bittersweet season that was though...the double-OT Nebraska game, Baylor, the road trip to Lawrence.

    Knocking off a top-10 Iowa team was a lot of fun. So was Houston.

    I had a blast watching that team but they sure gave me a lot of headaches.

    Just thought I would share the conversation I got into last night. Have a great day everybody. I'll be on the road most of the day heading to Ames and back for MBB Media Day.
    That season was a tragedy as purely as the best penned by Will Shakespeare.

    The Running Back! Ah, there's the rub.

    If memory serves, that was Stevie Hicks senior year - and he was hurt a good deal of the time. He was backed up on the depth chart by guys who A) didn't know their assignments, or B) could not secure the football, or C) both. That position cost us a couple games that year. It seemed that we could win with Stevie, but not without him.

    Then, at the end of the year with the season completely in the toilet for want of a healthy running back, Ryan Koch, the senior 3d down / goal line RB got the start on senior day, and made the coaches look like horse's patoots by galloping for about a hundred and a half vs Colorado. Had the coaches been able to see what they were doing with their heads in their heinies, perhaps Ryan would have been the first man in to back up Stevie and the Cyclones would have won the North. Alas!

    Tragedy at ISU: The drinking school with the football problem.


    Early commit - fall 2024

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 475,745, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,668
    Points
    475,745
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 5

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Quote Originally Posted by swammi View Post
    That season was a tragedy as purely as the best penned by Will Shakespeare.

    The Running Back! Ah, there's the rub.

    If memory serves, that was Stevie Hicks senior year - and he was hurt a good deal of the time. He was backed up on the depth chart by guys who A) didn't know their assignments, or B) could not secure the football, or C) both. That position cost us a couple games that year. It seemed that we could win with Stevie, but not without him.

    Then, at the end of the year with the season completely in the toilet for want of a healthy running back, Ryan Koch, the senior 3d down / goal line RB got the start on senior day, and made the coaches look like horse's patoots by galloping for about a hundred and a half vs Colorado. Had the coaches been able to see what they were doing with their heads in their heinies, perhaps Ryan would have been the first man in to back up Stevie and the Cyclones would have won the North. Alas!

    Tragedy at ISU: The drinking school with the football problem.
    Ryan Koch's wild game was against Mizzou the next year, during Mac's last game. But yeah, that 2005 team was a lot better with Stevie than w/out him. They did take OSU to the woodshed w/out him, but that was the only one.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  11. #11
    Walk On
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    159
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I lived in Nebraska in 2005. In one respect, it was fun to see how sheepish Husker fans were following a game with us. On the other hand, besides wanting the win, we watched the end of the game with teenagers that we took to a church youth event, and for some reason, they were all Husker fans.

    Although I know that the wife of a pastor friend in Lincoln is a giant Cyclone fan. She walked around that day sporting her "Beat the Huskers" T-shirt, so that was fun!
    You do realize you lost that game, right?



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 845,233, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    53,670
    Points
    845,233
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 494

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Quote Originally Posted by CJDelmonico View Post
    You do realize you lost that game, right?
    Yes, but it didn't leave a lot of bragging rights for Husker fans.

    You do realize that it went into 2 OTs, right?


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 97,791, Level: 97
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,783
    Points
    97,791
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 17

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Ryan Kock had 13 touchdowns in 2005 and was our steadiest short yardage weapon. He wasn't the feature back until Missouri 2006.



  14. #14
    Brett Blume
    Points: 49,631, Level: 68
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    brentblum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,056
    Points
    49,631
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 13

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Just to recap that season...Cyclones went 7-5.

    First loss was in 2OT to Nebraska..with the game tied late in the 4th Deandre Jackson recovered a fumble with nobody in front of him and fell to the ground. Nick Leaders then dropped an interception in the first OT that would have won the game. I-State could have snapped a 28 year losing streak in Lincoln.

    Second Loss was the next week to Baylor 23-13. It was Baylor's first Big 12 road win.....ever. Greg Coleman fumbled twice, including once in the endzone late in the 4th that would have given Iowa State a 17-16 lead.

    Third loss was the next week in Columbia 27-24 in OT...another shot to the groin. Mizzou scored twice on defense in 3 plays to take a 14-0 lead only minutes into the game, only to see Iowa State rally back with 24 unanswered. But..after knocking out Brad Smith, the Tigers turned to freshman Chase Daniel, who marched down the field for two scores in 5 minutes to send the game in OT...we know what happened from there.

    4th loss was to Kansas...I'd rather not discuss this.

    5th loss was to TCU in the Houston bowl 27-24. Cyclones dug a 14-0 hole again, but rallied back to lead 17-14 only to see someone else make a game-winning FG in the 4th quarter.

    So, if you're scoring at home. 5 losses, 3 in OT, one to Baylor (their first road win in Big 12 history) all games in which Iowa State led at some point in the game.

    Iowa State's D that year was 12th in the nation in rush defense, and forced a ridiculous 35 turnovers, good for 4th in the nation. The only other school to be in the top 12 in those categories was Florida. It's the year that defines Cyclone football for good and bad.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 32,442, Level: 55
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,142
    Points
    32,442
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 10

    Re: Thinking Back to 2005...

    Was 2005, the year we scored 28 points in the 4th qtr against KSU?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM