Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Whats your guys feelings on Alex Thompson? Last year he won the Big 10 for Iowa still didnt get anymore playing time. I really dont see him getting much playing time here either.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    He'll play. He's the best big we have right now, but he can't play this year.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    yeah but its rashons team.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 3&#58;07 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> yeah but its rashons team. [/b][/quote]

I think he will prove to be a wasted scholie.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1
    Give him a chance. From what I have seen in the summer league, he will definitely play and have an impact. This red shirt year could be huge for him.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <span style="font-family:Arial"> [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Alex will be fine and a lot better than people think. He will have a coach this time.

With a year to work on everything looking forward to seeing him play.

Rich (home again)
    </span>

Rich

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    From what I&#39;ve seen at the Cap City League, he&#39;s our best big man at this point. Pretty solid all around. Definitely NOT a wasted schollie. I think McD knows what he&#39;s doing.

GO CYCLONES!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 3&#58;07 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> yeah but its rashons team. [/b][/quote] Actually, it&#39;s Iowa State&#39;s team, coached by Greg McDermott. Rahshon is one of the players on the team.

Not to be snitty, but I don&#39;t understand this "it&#39;s player X&#39;s team" mentality. I think that sort of thinking results in the kind of team we saw last season.

GO CYCLONES!

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 2&#58;57 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Whats your guys feelings on Alex Thompson? Last year he won the Big 10 for Iowa still didnt get anymore playing time.[/b][/quote]

Playing for G-Mac will do a lot for Thompson. He has been able to make quality post players out of guys like Gruber, Stout & Coleman. None was rated as high as Thompson or Marsden.

The arguement that Thompson isn&#39;t good because he didn&#39;t get any PT at Iowa is pretty thin. He didn&#39;t play because he couldn&#39;t beat out Greg Brunner. There aren&#39;t many kids who would beat out Greg Brunner. If Greg Brunner&#39;s on my team he plays 32-35 mpg- not many minutes for a back-up. Add to that Thomas & Hanson were seniors and the sophomore Thompson isn&#39;t going to get many minutes.

Thompson doesn&#39;t need to be a superstar to be a good pick-up for ISU. I think he&#39;ll start, but even if he plays 15-20mpg and can hold his own in the paint- he&#39;s worth the scholarship.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    If he is good enough to push our other bigs in practice it may be a good investment, let alone what else he contributes on the floor in the future.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(isucy86 &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 5&#58;02 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Playing for G-Mac will do a lot for Thompson. He has been able to make quality post players out of guys like Gruber, Stout & Coleman. None was rated as high as Thompson or Marsden.

The arguement that Thompson isn&#39;t good because he didn&#39;t get any PT at Iowa is pretty thin. He didn&#39;t play because he couldn&#39;t beat out Greg Brunner. There aren&#39;t many kids who would beat out Greg Brunner. If Greg Brunner&#39;s on my team he plays 32-35 mpg- not many minutes for a back-up. Add to that Thomas & Hanson were seniors and the sophomore Thompson isn&#39;t going to get many minutes.

Thompson doesn&#39;t need to be a superstar to be a good pick-up for ISU. I think he&#39;ll start, but even if he plays 15-20mpg and can hold his own in the paint- he&#39;s worth the scholarship.

[/b][/quote]

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goonies_89 &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 3&#58;07 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> yeah but its rashons team. [/b][/quote]

We&#39;ll have to see if this is Rashon&#39;s team. Sure he is our most experienced player returning, but that doesn&#39;t mean much with a new head coach. I&#39;m sure G-Mac will look to Rashon for leadership, but I&#39;m not buying that this will be "Rashon&#39;s team" for a couple reasons:
    • Rashon&#39;s game doesn&#39;t lend himself to being "the" leader on the floor. In his ISU career he hasn&#39;t shown to be a player who will have the ball in his hands a lot. One could argue that with Stinson & Blalock on the team, Clark didn&#39;t have the opportunity to be a leader. However, I would argue until he becomes a "go-to" player and a guy who can take opponents off the dribble he will be a secondary leader.
    • Most coaches like their PG to be the team leader and based on Corey McIntosh&#39;s background and success, he will be the team leader.
    The last couple years, Stinson was our #1 player and we had guys like Homan & Blalock as our #2&#39;s. It will be interesting to see if ISU can find that #1 & #2 scoring threat on offense. Most people think Rashon is that guy. I&#39;m not sure I see it. The #1 & #2 guys have to be players who can do things with the ball in their hands and they need to be consistent from night-to-night.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    It could be argued that Alex Thompson has not had a quality coach since he transferred from Gilbert H.S after his freshman year. And at Ames high, even with as many as 4 Div 1 players on the team, his coach couldn&#39;t get to the state tournament. And of course we all know about Alford and the great success story he has written at Iowa U. We could be pleasantly surprised by Alex.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oldgeezer &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 5&#58;35 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> It could be argued that Alex Thompson has not had a quality coach since he transferred from Gilbert H.S ... And of course we all know about Alford and the great success story he has written at Iowa U. We could be pleasantly surprised by Alex. [/b][/quote] As much as it pains me to say this, because I have no repect for Alford, Alex Thompson looks very well coached. By that, I mean that he seems very fundamentally sound. He&#39;s plays smart defense, and he makes smart decisions when the ball&#39;s in his hands. He is way ahead of our bigs in all areas of his game. I think he will flourish under McD, who will find ways to use him effectively.

GO CYCLONES!

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cygoat &#064; 07&#045;03&#045;06 7&#58;17 pm) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> As much as it pains me to say this, because I have no repect for Alford, Alex Thompson looks very well coached. By that, I mean that he seems very fundamentally sound. He&#39;s plays smart defense, and he makes smart decisions when the ball&#39;s in his hands. He is way ahead of our bigs in all areas of his game. I think he will flourish under McD, who will find ways to use him effectively. [/b][/quote]

I have to agree..not because Alford is a good coach, but because Morgan was just a plain bad one. Non of our bigmen got any coaching last year so you cant expect them to be any better than Thompson. No matter how bad of coaching he had atleast he had some. Our big men didnt. That will change though.

God Bless America

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I think he&#39;ll take Jiri&#39;s starting spot in a year and we&#39;ll start 2/5ths Ames High players.

Seneca Wallace.