Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

Corey Mac will be our starting PG next year

After seeing his emergence the last couple of games, I just don't see any way he isn't starting there for us next season. I'm sure Diante Garrett is going to be great, but it's darn near impossible to step into a starting pg position in the Big 12 as a freshman. I would see Diante getting some minutes at both guard positions, but it'll be really tough for him to be our starter at the PG spot. Just looking around the league, obviously Augustin and Collins are doing a good job as freshmen points at Texas and Kansas, but it's a lot easier of a job when you're surrounded by McD's all-americans that can score and make plays on their own. The last time in 15 years that I remember a freshman taking over at PG for us and doing much at all was Stinson/Blalock, but it made things a lot easier that they both were basically point guards for us so they didn't have all of the pressure aimed at them. I guess my basic point is not a negative one...I think Diante is going to be a great Clone from everything I've seen, I just have been nervous at the thought of turning it over to a freshman right away. It's a big positive that Corey has taken the bull by the horns the last few games. There have been times on offense recently that Cmac looks like Taylor (in a good way) from the TV screen when he's penetrating and looking for his shot. If he can keep being aggressive like this, teams won't be able to pressure the heck out of our guards as much because there will actually be another threat to go by them if they overplay. I'm starting to think we're going to have some depth in the guardcourt now as well as the frontcourt (especially if Wesley plays the 2/3 sometimes)

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Corey Mac will be our starting PG next year

I hope this is the corner McIntosh needed to turn and gets better from here on but I don't think it's a given yet he will be the starter. It's only a couple games now he has done this and you have to look at who it was against.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 8

I was thinking the same thing. I always wondered why CM didn't look for his shot more often because he has always had a decent looking shot. If he continues to hit the open shot and be solid on defense, there is no reason he won't be starting next season.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

It just amazes me on how McDermott has been able to turn around players. This is an excellent sign of how good of a coach he actually is. The obvious turn around with CM but also look at where Jiri was at the begining of the year, he was affraid to be in the post and shot threes all the time, now he is sitting down in the post and doing an excellent job. Also Mike Taylor, although not as obvious as CM or Jiri. Mike Talyer I believe has learned to control himself. At the begining of the year he was like a chicken with his head cut off just throwing things up and thinking it was the Mike Taylor show. Now I can see him actually slowing things down but also taking a somewhat better shot selection or atleast he is making the shots he is taking now. Over all I am just excited to see what else McDermott can do with the talent that is coming to ISU in the next few years.

I also think CM will be starting PG next year.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think the chances are very good he starts at PG next year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I've always functioned under the assumption that Garrett will start right away, but if McIntosh can keep this up he'll probably be starting. He's had a great few games and I am just so impressed with him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I always wondered why CM didn't look for his shot more often because he has always had a decent looking shot. If he continues to hit the open shot and be solid on defense, there is no reason he won't be starting next season.
    GMac may have told him not to shoot. Just run the offense and get things going. We'd probably be in worse shape now if CMac had been a shoot first guy all season even if he averaged 10 pts a game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Diante is one hell of a player and if CMac can continue to improve and play well enough to start over him, it means the team will have some nice depth at the PG spot. As previously mentioned, Diante can also play the 2 spot, which is where he may eventually end up anyway once Dominique Buckley is ready for prime time.

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

If the Corey we're seeing the last couple weeks becomes the norm and them some - he starts most if not all of next season. If it's a combo of the good Corey and not-so-good Corey...I think Garrett will eventually take over.

However, he may not - as Garrett has yet to put on a collegiate uniform. The kid could turn out to be a freshman project.

All of this is why I keep preaching about our depth for '07. We may not have big talent depth, yet we'll have a ton of guys that can play minutes for us. We could easily start 5 and put the next 5 on the court and do ok depending on who we're playing, the situation, etc.

Heck, we kinda did it this year in a Big 12 game late in the first half.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think having some more weapons on the team, such as Brackins, Garrett, and Stainger will help Corey take his play to the next level next year. Teams have really been able to pressure our guards because of our lack of offensive weapons this year, but hopefully next year's recruits pan out and we develop a successful offense.

I also think Taylor really needs to move to the shooting guard spot. I think he has improved immensely in the control aspect, but he just isn't made for the point guard spot. I thought he was steadily improving his turnovers, that is, until I looked at them. In the first 5 Big XII games Taylor averaged 5.0 turnovers per game. In the past 5 Big XII games Taylor has averaged 5.8 turnovers per game. I think he's getting smarter, and having some depth at point guard next year will take his play to a whole other level.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 112

It probably took all this time for Corey to digest everything in GMac's System and to adjust to Division 1 hoops.

Unless he is a very special player, Garrett is going to need some time to learn the system and get adjusted to D-1 ball.

However from reading the pres clippings, Garrett seems to be a better athlete at this point in his career. He will definitely get meaningful minutes next season...

Last edited by Cydar; 03-01-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    It probably took all this time for Corey to digest everything in GMac's System and to adjust to Division 1 hoops.
    I agree. Throughout the first 2/3rd's of the season, it appeared as if he was thinking way too much and worried about trying to be in certain spots. Now, he seems to be playing more instinctively and thinking less which has resulted in an increase in his confidence. I don't know about everyone else, but I have always found the worst thing to do on a BB court is think too much - especially when shooting.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

dont see why Cory wouldnt start, the guy really has come along, i think next year he will be a dark horse and suprise alot of teams

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

Noe McD needs to het Dodie up to snuff. He can play better than he has shown. Last night Ross played his most meaningful minutes against a tired Marik.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't you mean that EIU is the other Okoboji University?