Nebraska's Burkhead Out w/ Foot Injury
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,259
    Given: 322

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 35

Re: Nebraska's Burkhead Out w/ Foot Injury

Boy, if Helu is really dinged and loses playing time they may be awful thin at RB by the time the Cyclones arrive in town.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 11

I would go ahead and post the "So your saying we have a chance" video/picture...but that has been done in excess lately.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Boy, if Helu is really dinged and loses playing time they may be awful thin at RB by the time the Cyclones arrive in town.
    Have you seen Iowa State's pass defense? I'm not too worried.

It's not like Burkhead is the only thing separating these two programs.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CJDelmonico View Post
    Have you seen Iowa State's pass defense? I'm not too worried.

It's not like Burkhead is the only thing separating these two programs.
    lol. wow. it makes it a lot easier to defend a team when you dont have to worry about either the pass or run game. nebraska is pretty darn good, yes. but are they that much better than KU really? KU was on their 2nd string back and beat us by 5.. kNU could possibly be on the 3rd stringer and are ranked lower.. not saying ISU will win. just saying there is a chance!

ALL IN

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Luckily for Nebraska Helu is fine. The problem is, he will have to now carry the entire load at running back. I guess the good thing is that now your best offensive player will be "forced" to have more touches. Before it was about a 90/10 split (75/25 for Mizzou game because Helu was sick). The downside is obviously the pounding Helu is going to take. If he is forced to do what he did against Virginia Tech (28 carries 7 receptions) every game, he is going to be one worn down back at the end of the season. If Helu gets hurt, Nebraska is in big trouble offensively.

Thumbs Up

There is little doubt that the Burkhead situation will hurt Nebraska, at least short term. Behind Helu and Burkhead, there is not very much experience.

On the plus side for Nebraska however, is that there is certainly a lot of raw talent that hasn't seen the playing field a whole lot thus far. Marcus Mendoza was a very highly recruited speedster out of Houston when he signed with Nebraska in 2007, and Dontrayevous Robinson, a true freshman, also shows a lot of potential. Although he doesn't have the speed as does Mendoza, Colins Okafor was a great high school running back in Omaha, and Lester Ward, another recruit from Texas looks like a possibility.

It sounds as though Nebraska won't settle on a backup for Helu until later this week.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    On the plus side for Nebraska however, is that there is certainly a lot of raw talent that hasn't seen the playing field a whole lot thus far. Marcus Mendoza was a very highly recruited speedster out of Houston when he signed with Nebraska in 2007, and Dontrayevous Robinson, a true freshman, also shows a lot of potential. Although he doesn't have the speed as does Mendoza, Colins Okafor was a great high school running back in Omaha, and Lester Ward, another recruit from Texas looks like a possibility.
    Wingback, as a fellow Husker fan I am going to have to disagree with you. Of course the guys you mentioned have some talent, otherwise they wouldn't have been given Div I football scholarships. But, barring injury, none of those players you mentioned will ever see significant playing time at Nebraska. The gap between Burkhead and the others was extremely wide.

When there are plays that Helu needs a break, look for Nebraska to use one of their TE's (Kyler Reed in particular) in the backfield beside Lee in the shotgun formation.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    lol. wow. it makes it a lot easier to defend a team when you dont have to worry about either the pass or run game. nebraska is pretty darn good, yes. but are they that much better than KU really? KU was on their 2nd string back and beat us by 5.. kNU could possibly be on the 3rd stringer and are ranked lower.. not saying ISU will win. just saying there is a chance!
    NU averages 405 ypg and 37.8 ppg, and it ain't all on the ground, buddy. You are pretty dim if you think NU can't pass on Iowa State. You must have missed the 3 TD passes by Lee in about a 4 minute span against Mizzou.

I think it's kind of cute that ISU fans use the fact that NU didn't score a lot of points against VT as some kind of sign that they won't be able to score against Iowa State. You are no Virginia Tech. You are much more similar to Louisiana-Lafayette, based upon your performances against a common opponent (Kansas State). NU beat them 55-0.

Good luck with the "KU" card. You played them within a TD last year, did you not? How did that translate to your matchup with Nebraska in which you were beaten 35-7? If you use a little logic, you'll see that argument holds no water.

Oh, and BTW, NU is not ranked lower than KU.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MrReality View Post
    Wingback, as a fellow Husker fan I am going to have to disagree with you. Of course the guys you mentioned have some talent, otherwise they wouldn't have been given Div I football scholarships. But, barring injury, none of those players you mentioned will ever see significant playing time at Nebraska. The gap between Burkhead and the others was extremely wide.

When there are plays that Helu needs a break, look for Nebraska to use one of their TE's (Kyler Reed in particular) in the backfield beside Lee in the shotgun formation.
    I certainly don't disagree with you that there's a pretty good-sized gap between Burkhead and the rest of the running backs, but there is no doubt in my mind that one of these guys will step up and fill that temporary gap admirably. Although I really like Helu, I honestly think Burkhead will be a better "finished product" when the last chapter is written. There is no doubt, that he'll be missed.

A lot of Husker fans think Mendoza will probably win out as the second running back (temporarily), but of the four or five guys they are looking at, I kind of like Dontrayevous Robinson. He's young and inexperienced and certainly doesn't have the speed of Mendoza, but at 215, he is the type of guy who should be able to run effectively between the tackles and could be a great compliment to Helu's talents. I really think they want to redshirt him, but who knows.

Last edited by Wingback; 10-15-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 613

Burkhead is going to be a huge stud

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 20

NU averages 405 ypg and 37.8 ppg, and it ain't all on the ground, buddy. You are pretty dim if you think NU can't pass on Iowa State. You must have missed the 3 TD passes by Lee in about a 4 minute span against Mizzou.

I think it's kind of cute that ISU fans use the fact that NU didn't score a lot of points against VT as some kind of sign that they won't be able to score against Iowa State. You are no Virginia Tech. You are much more similar to Louisiana-Lafayette, based upon your performances against a common opponent (Kansas State). NU beat them 55-0.

Good luck with the "KU" card. You played them within a TD last year, did you not? How did that translate to your matchup with Nebraska in which you were beaten 35-7? If you use a little logic, you'll see that argument holds no water.

I think it's "cute" that you spend time on our board telling us how great your team is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 160

I saw 2 of those TD throws cover a total of 21 yards. Very impressive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 501

Where in the heck did you read that in anyone's post? Go back to Huskerland & use some of that inferential kNowledge over there. I don't think anyone here disagrees that kNU is an extremely difficult matchup for us - & I have not seen ANYONE picking ISU to win the game (or even being that close of a game). But you have to come on our site, with your Husker arrogance & tell us how to think - UNBELIEVABLE!! This is a CYCLONE site first & foremost - guests are welcome - but arrogance is not appreciated!!

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback View Post
    A lot of Husker fans think Mendoza will probably win out as the second running back (temporarily), but of the four or five guys they are looking at, I kind of like Dontrayevous Robinson. He's young and inexperienced and certainly doesn't have the speed of Mendoza, but at 215, he is the type of guy who should be able to run effectively between the tackles and could be a great compliment to Helu's talents. I really think they want to redshirt him, but who knows.
    I am with you on Dontrayevous. He has the power aspect the other back-ups don't, and frankly that is what we would need to spell Helu. I think Burkhead is going to be very good, but I don't think he will be better than Roy. Helu is the best back Nebraska has had since Ahman.