Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,516, Level: 73
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,563
    Points
    56,516
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

    Defense front 7 for 2010?

    There are a lot of seniors in the front 7 this year, so who is going to fill these spots next year? Is there any redshirts or reserves that look promising? I haven't see very many defensive commitments yet. I am assuming that CPR is looking at a few JUCO guys to help.



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    It's hard to say right now without knowing what recruits we are going to sign this year, but I'll give it a shot.

    DE- Parker
    DT- Ruempolhamer
    NG- Johnson or JUCO
    DE- Neal/Maggit or JUCO
    SLB- Lattimer or JUCO (Earls?)
    MLB- Taufoou or Klein
    WLB- Knott

    Also, don't discount the possibility that a freshman comes in and has a Leonard Johnson type impact.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 358,800, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,007
    Points
    358,800
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 380
    Given: 54

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    It's hard to say right now without knowing what recruits we are going to sign this year, but I'll give it a shot.

    DE- Parker
    DT- Ruempolhamer
    NG- Johnson or JUCO
    DE- Neal/Maggit or JUCO
    SLB- Lattimer or JUCO (Earls?)
    MLB- Taufoou or Klein
    WLB- Knott

    Also, don't discount the possibility that a freshman comes in and has a Leonard Johnson type impact.
    I would think it would be unlikely that a freshman comes in and makes a huge impact in the front 4. I think it is possible in the Linebacker Corps but I think we may have a couple guys there right now, who, by next year, could be very solid. We do need some JUCOs among the front seven. I would like to say at least three good ones. I don't want any JUCOs who can't come in right away and play. That defeats the purpose to me. If we are gonna get a guy who has to develop for a year, go get high schoolers that we can get more than one year out of. If by some chance we could end up with Wayne Dorsey and maybe Earls or another solid JUCO linebacker, we could improve drastically.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    It's hard to say right now without knowing what recruits we are going to sign this year, but I'll give it a shot.

    DE- Parker
    DT- Ruempolhamer
    NG- Johnson or JUCO
    DE- Neal/Maggit or JUCO
    SLB- Lattimer or JUCO (Earls?)
    MLB- Taufoou or Klein
    WLB- Knott

    Also, don't discount the possibility that a freshman comes in and has a Leonard Johnson type impact.
    Not sure about Knott...I know Klein will be playing a crap load if not starting next year


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." †

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 14,688, Level: 36
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    343
    Points
    14,688
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    I'm fine with a bunch of juco's for the front 7, but I hope we can get back to developing guys also. I remember when Carstens was a redshirt freshmen he was like 6-4 210. We aren't going to get the 260# guys with a motor very often, but it seems like there are 210# guys with good speed everywhere.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 37,745, Level: 59
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,423
    Points
    37,745
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 84

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Here is some recruiting information offered by CPR during his call-in shows on Monday, September 28, and yesterday:

    * Will sign a class of 26 (one pegged to last year's class . . . a December JUCO grad or a grayshirt, right?).

    * Will sign 5-6 OL, at least 4 LBers. CPR said numbers are down in these two team areas (12 scholarship OL, for example, when the team should carry 15-16), so numbers will be up a bit more than usual.

    The staff will sign 4 defensive linemen, and 1 QB, 1-2 RBs. Don't recall the other position numbers he mentioned (iirc, he said 2 TEs).

    * Will sign 6-8 JUCOs, CPR said.

    On the Sept. 28 show, CPR was asked if there is a ceiling on this year's defense's ability to grow and achieve (questioner had athletic and speed liabilities in mind), and if it might take, say, three years to field a solid, feisty defense if recruiting and developing athletes is required for marked improvement to occur.

    CPR said adamantly that he hopes that it won't take three years, that it should not take three years. That he would be extremely disappointed if it takes three years.

    So, a listener might conclude -- though CPR didn't directly say so -- he seems to believe that development of the younger players plus the addition of key JUCO defensive front seven types will allow ISU's defensive unit to develop sooner rather than later.

    Thought a few members here might appreciate having these tidbits from CPR.


    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

    We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 213,086, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,642
    Points
    213,086
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 580
    Given: 316

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Here is some recruiting information offered by CPR during his call-in shows on Monday, September 28, and yesterday:

    * Will sign a class of 26 (one pegged to last year's class . . . a December JUCO grad or a grayshirt, right?).

    * Will sign 5-6 OL, at least 4 LBers. CPR said numbers are down in these two team areas (12 scholarship OL, for example, when the team should carry 15-16), so numbers will be up a bit more than usual.

    The staff will sign 4 defensive linemen, and 1 QB, 1-2 RBs. Don't recall the other position numbers he mentioned (iirc, he said 2 TEs).

    * Will sign 6-8 JUCOs, CPR said.

    On the Sept. 28 show, CPR was asked if there is a ceiling on this year's defense's ability to grow and achieve (questioner had athletic and speed liabilities in mind), and if it might take, say, three years to field a solid, feisty defense if recruiting and developing athletes is required for marked improvement to occur.

    CPR said adamantly that he hopes that it won't take three years, that it should not take three years. That he would be extremely disappointed if it takes three years.

    So, a listener might conclude -- though CPR didn't directly say so -- he seems to believe that development of the younger players plus the addition of key JUCO defensive front seven types will allow ISU's defensive unit to develop sooner rather than later.

    Thought a few members here might appreciate having these tidbits from CPR.
    Great stuff, thank you.

    Would love to see at least one JC LB and DE. Probably see one JC OL too. We have a great start on OL recruiting, hope we can grab some good DL and LB this year.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 79,058, Level: 87
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,440
    Points
    79,058
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    I was pretty bothered with the DL recruiting from the last signing class, there were zero correct? I think that actually set ISU back a full season. This was the weak spot, we all knew it as fans and CPR had to have seen it on film. Depending on the OL recruits brought in, I wonder if there is an OL on the roster that can switch over to the defensive side of line for immediate help ala Rubin.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Rhoads said 1 QB, 1-2 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE, 5-6 OL, 4 DL (tackles and ends), 4 LB, 2 S, 3 CB, and 1 P. All together 26 recruits, which means the 26th will either be the second RB or sixth OL.

    We're taking 6-8 JUCOs. We already know we have a JUCO WR, TE, and S. Other positions IMO where it looks like we might take a JUCO in order of likelihood: LB, DE, OL, DT, CB.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 179,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,820
    Points
    179,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 609

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I was pretty bothered with the DL recruiting from the last signing class, there were zero correct?
    No, not correct. Depending on where they end up, Walter Woods, Aaron Moore and Willie Scott are all possibilities, with at least Woods apparently set there.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 60,302, Level: 76
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,348
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,088
    Points
    60,302
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 75

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    What ever happened to Jerrod black(sp?) Was he a senior last year? For some reason i cant remember a damn thing about him. 33 was always pretty big on him, but he didnt amount to much.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 179,875, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,820
    Points
    179,875
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 609

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    What ever happened to Jerrod black(sp?) Was he a senior last year? For some reason i cant remember a damn thing about him. 33 was always pretty big on him, but he didnt amount to much.
    Considering that he's a soph this year, and was hurt last, I think he's got time.

    In the preseason Shane Burnham said that he needed to improve his technique.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,433, Level: 63
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,673
    Points
    42,433
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 13

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    No, not correct. Depending on where they end up, Walter Woods, Aaron Moore and Willie Scott are all possibilities, with at least Woods apparently set there.
    Remember that the plan also included Taylor Martin until he didn't get the job done in the classroom. He would have been in the mix for this year with Parker going down and next year with a year of experience at the D1 level. He didn't have very impressive Juco stats, but he had the desired frame and both the current and former coaching staffs saw something in him that warranted a scholarship offer.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 18,082, Level: 41
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    864
    Points
    18,082
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    It's hard to say right now without knowing what recruits we are going to sign this year, but I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post

    DE- Parker
    DT- Ruempolhamer
    NG- Johnson or JUCO
    DE- Neal/Maggit or JUCO
    SLB- Lattimer or JUCO (Earls?)
    MLB- Taufoou or Klein
    WLB- Knott

    Also, don't discount the possibility that a freshman comes in and has a Leonard Johnson type impact.


    I think it will take an influx of JUCO players if our front 7 is going to be strong next year. I hope Parker can make it back from his injury- but if he starts at DE I'm not confident our DL will be better. Parker typically plays well against I-AA & MAC teams, but I've always felt his production falls off against Big 12 competition. Likewise, I'm not sold Neal is a Big 12 DE.

    Johnson seems to make plays, but he also gets pushed around inside because of his size. I hope he and Ruempolhamer can develop in the weight room this off season. We need a couple guys in the middle who can anchor the middle & get some push on the pass rush.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 30,393, Level: 53
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,536
    Points
    30,393
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

    Re: Defense front 7 for 2010?

    Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post

    I think it will take an influx of JUCO players if our front 7 is going to be strong next year. I hope Parker can make it back from his injury- but if he starts at DE I'm not confident our DL will be better. Parker typically plays well against I-AA & MAC teams, but I've always felt his production falls off against Big 12 competition. Likewise, I'm not sold Neal is a Big 12 DE.

    Johnson seems to make plays, but he also gets pushed around inside because of his size. I hope he and Ruempolhamer can develop in the weight room this off season. We need a couple guys in the middle who can anchor the middle & get some push on the pass rush.
    Juco city for our D front 7 for next year. not good, but that is the situation.


    “The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened.”
    – Norman Thomas, American socialist and six-time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM