Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,154
    Given: 601

NBA DL naming rights

Anyone else hear on KXNO that there is a possibility that the new Des Moines basketball team may be selling the naming rights to the team? Not to go off on a rant here, because I think bringing that team to Des Moines is a good thing. However, I am so sick of the general direction of all athletics in this regard. I hate the bowls named after companies. I hate the stadiums named after companies. Can't someone sponsor something and keep a name that actually means something? I guess the teams couldn't get enough money for that. Pretty soon, all our sports teams are going to look like Nascar drivers! Anyway, in that spirit, I would like to announce that I am purchasing the naming rights for the new Des Moines NBADL team. It will henceforth be named the Des Moines Wh0res.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: NBA DL naming rights

I totally agree with you. How is a sports team supposed to create an identity if it has a company name? Like most arenas and sports teams with company names, they change every couple years. I thought Ken Miller made a good point...what happens if the team is named after Wells Fargo, for example, and one of the players gets bad press or something. Then the company's name gets dragged through the mud.

This team would have more credibility if it were named after one of the NBA teams, similar to the Iowa Stars. For example, Des Moines Bulls.