Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

More $90 ticket reaction from the Gazette

These article is typical Hawkeye propaganda coming from this side of the state. When talking about how much money each university gets from the game they forgot to mention that Kinnick holds about 25,000 more that Jack Trice. AND of course they put in bold writing that ISU calls it a Super Bowl for the State of Iowa.

The best part about the article is that there is an article above it that states we are about the set a record for season ticket sales.

Go State!

-----------------------

No tangle yet about pricey tickets

Iowa State sets $90 tag for Iowa fans in rivalry game
    By Scott Dochterman
    The Gazette
    IOWA CITY — Iowa State’s bullish ticket policy for its Sept. 15 football game against Iowa has yet to shake Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta into shouting across the state at his counterpart.
    Iowa State is charging $90 per ticket in its 4,000-ticket allotment to Iowa for the 2007 football game. That comes weeks after the school announced it will not sell singlegame tickets either.
    Barta, who took over as
    Iowa AD
    Iowa’s athletics director on Aug. 1, said Iowa’s travel reputation is one reason for the high cost.
    ‘‘As I’ve said before, I don’t set prices for Iowa State, and Jamie (Pollard, Iowa State’s athletics director) doesn’t set prices for Iowa,’’ Barta said. ‘‘It’s definitely the highest price our fans pay wherever they travel, but beyond that, I really don’t have a feeling.’’ The $90 price tag might be the highest for any regularseason college game this year. Even high-profile matchups last year like Texas-Oklahoma and Texas-Texas A&M cost $85 a ticket, while Ohio State-Michigan ($59 a ticket) and Tennessee-Florida ($50 a ticket) were far behind.
    Iowa considered Iowa State as one of its two premium games last year and charged fans $60 a ticket. Online and street vendors resold tickets exceeding $100 leading up to the game.
    ‘‘They’re pushing the table to see where people’s passions lie,’’ said David Sandstrum, Iowa’s assistant athletics director for ticket operations. ‘‘It’s a pretty pricey ticket. When you look at the other types of competitions out there, if we’re not the highest, we’ve got to be in the top 10.
    ‘‘There’s a lot of rivalries out there, and I have yet to find one that surpasses that (price), at least in terms of last year’s prices.’’
    Steve Malchow, Iowa State’s senior associate athletics director for communication, said the game has premium value.
    ‘‘There’s no question that the Iowa-Iowa State game is the Super Bowl game of the year in this state for intercollegiate athletics,’’ Malchow said. ‘‘When we looked at some of our peers across the country for similar-type games, this is the price tag that’s attached to it.’’
    For Iowa, there’s some financial co-dependency in helping Iowa State succeed. If Iowa sells its ticket allotment — which Sandstrum said is likely — then $360,000 in ticket revenue heads to Ames. In the schools’ contract that expires after the 2010 game, the visiting team receives 20 percent of the gate after state sales tax. In 2005, that amounted to $386,914.17 for Iowa.
    However Iowa is the series bankroller. Iowa sent a $593,103.50 check to Iowa State earlier this month for the 2006 game. In 2004, Iowa State took home $580,935.
    ‘‘Those numbers don’t lie,’’ Sandstrum said. ‘‘You can’t argue that one.’’
    Some Iowa officials ponder — anonymously — the benefits of playing Iowa State. With Iowa fans charged sky-high allotment ticket prices and others not allowed to purchase single-game tickets, plus earning a smaller financial return, some wonder if the series’ contract should be modified.
    Barta, however, declined to speculate about the series’ future.
    ‘‘Jamie and I haven’t even talked about beyond 2010,’’ he said.
    Pollard also was diplomatic in an e-mailed response to questions about the series’ long-term future.
    ‘‘We appreciate and respect the great relationship our two programs have had over the years and look forward to continuing the great tradition for the foreseeable future,’’ Pollard wrote.
    Iowa State’s goal, Malchow said, is to exceed last year’s season-ticket record of 30,728. That’s a primary reason the school declined to sell single-game tickets.
    ‘‘Obviously, there’s a new era here with Coach (Gene) Chizik, and we’re hoping to capitalize on that momentum and get people introduced to our product,’’ Malchow said. ‘‘We can’t afford to have people cherry pick. We can’t afford to live on one sellout a year, nor can Iowa. We need to sell season tickets, and that’s what our focus is.’’

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 5

Re: More $90 ticket reaction from the Gazette

<sigh> If I remember correctly, it was Iowa fan who first called it the Super Bowl. I think on Deace's show, a hawk fan was trying to spin the 3rd or 4th consecutive loss by saying something like: it's their [ISU's] Super Bowl, they [ISU fans] don't care about anything else, like the conference season.

I hope they threaten to cancel the series after 2010. Also if the big 10 goes to a 10 game conference schedule, I'll be laughing when the state legislature forces them to play us instead of Ball State during non-conference. Good luck winning a National Title if that happens Squaks! You won't get the year when Ohio State and Michigan drop off the schedule.

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

Ok I am curious about something here. Wasn't this $90 price tag annouced at the same thime the no single game tickets was annouced. Because I remember reading about it back then.

Just seems strange that this is hitting all the headlines now instead of then.

Maybe they just sent out renewal info the the iowa ticket holders or something I guess.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 23

The Gazette is pure hawkeye garbage. But at least it doesn't pretend not to be, like the rag.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 5

how about some cheese with your whine? poor hawks gonna have to pay out a little cash to watch a football game and all they do is complain.

like i said in an earlier post, dont by the damn ticket if you cant afford it and if you can get out your cash and shut your piehole.

be prepared to pay big dollars for the hawk game next year. i'll buy my ticket and keep my mouth shut.

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by SlyCy View Post
    Some Iowa officials ponder — anonymously — the benefits of playing Iowa State. With Iowa fans charged sky-high allotment ticket prices and others not allowed to purchase single-game tickets, plus earning a smaller financial return, some wonder if the series’ contract should be modified.
    Guess what? Iowa fans weren't "allowed" to buy tickets to the game in 2005! They just scalped them off of Cyclone fans. I am sick and tired of this Hawkeye attitude, that they are just supposed to get it thier way all the time. Well watch out, cause here we come!

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I wish this thing would just die. For goodness sakes it's been 2 months non-stop complaining and the game is still months away in September!

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this? The $90 is for the tickets alloted to the big-spenders in Iowa's donations list. The people this price increase actually affects can certainly afford the couple extra bucks.

And as for the season tickets deal, that has nothing to do with hawkeye fans. That is for cyclone fans. If cyclone fans want to see the Iowa game, they have to buy season tickets. Simple as that. The new ticket structure deals with our team and our fans -- nobody else.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    The Gazette is pure hawkeye garbage. But at least it doesn't pretend not to be, like the rag.
    Ya got a point benjy! Last year I paid the kings ransom of ninety dollars per ticket ( I bought two tix) for the aTm and Nebraska game at College Station TX. Guess what boys? I did NOT bat an eye, I just paid the kings ransom and went to the football game with my bro-in-law, who is an ISU alum and enjoyed the game.

Besides whats ninety dollars among friends? Squawk fans are so cheep that they squeek!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the big deal for Shmuckeye fans is having someone control what they can and can't do. They arent' used to it, but times are changing.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 166

Calling the ISU/iowa football "ISU's Super Bowl" was coined by a chokeye btw...always remember that.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,847
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 73

I think it's great. Here we are in February and it hasn't seemed like anyone has stopped talking about Cyclone football. When has that ever happened before. Basically, JP is doing his job.

As far as the tickets go, it really doesn't matter what others are charging. This is how much our AD thinks this game is worth. If you don't think the value = price, then don't buy a ticket. I'm tired of Hawk fans acting like this game is all about them. They can charge whatever they want to. Is it our fault they go that high first first? I guess, in the end, I just have to wonder, do they really think we care if they don't buy any of those tickets? Other than being able to watch them leave the stadium with their heads held in shame, I can't think of any reason to want any Hawks at this game. In fact, I can gaurantee you, I've never even thought once in my life, "Darn, this gameday experience would be so much better if we had a few Hawk fans here." Buy the tickets or don't buy the tickets, I don't really care. I'm about Cyclone football and couldn't care less about what Hawkeyes think of the way our program is being run. For once, realize, this isn't about you. It's about Cyclone football and revenue. Heck, you're not even in the top 2 of largest crowds at JT. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing will happen with Nebraska next year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Isn't there some way to sue the paper for making mention of the Super Bowl without some sort of trademark? I only wish.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

*fart*

That's my opinion on this one.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Why don't the hawk fans buy the endzone $150 season ISU tickets and come and see some real football teams.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.